The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

{REPORT} Bogosian has demanded a trade

Squamfan

I sure enjoyed watching the speedy Canuck forwards skate circles around him last Saturday.

Even still, he was quite noticeable and was very physical. Maybe a change of scenery will help him out but I think the game has passed players of his style by.

So, what’s left of that trade with Winnipeg? If I remember correctly, Winnipeg’s remains are Jack Roslovic, as that’s who they used the 1st on. Drew Stafford, Tyler Myers (thank goodness), and Brendan Lemieux (damn) are all gone on Winnipeg’s side.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what about Sven for Bogo with Buffalo retaining 50%. They aren't moving him for full salary anyway and Sven gives them a little more F depth 

Might be more attractive than Eriksson. 

Wonder if Benning is just waiting until Boxing Day to ship Eriksson down to Utica? 

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Might be more attractive than Eriksson. 

Wonder if Benning is just waiting until Boxing Day to ship Eriksson down to Utica? 

I doubt there will be many offers for Bogo, and Sven would slot into Buffalo's 3rd line, or he's good injury depth since he's already in the AHL. Its that extra year of salary thats the rub tho, so they'd have to view Baer as a regular in their group. Who knows, could happen if there's a minor b prospect sweetener thrown in on our end.

Interesting idea on Loui, you know family considerations could be part of it. Its certainly easier on the kids if its done after xmas. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

But I could've sworn that Risto was one of the worst players in the league based on this forum talking endlessly about his green jacket status.

Even with said, those that were serious about wanting to acquire him weren't suggesting he would be had for peanuts.

To be fair, this is the first season in a while where Risto has been motivated enough to actually play defence.  That's all Ralph Krueger's influence this year.  His shot is still relatively inaccurate the harder it is, so I'm hoping he finds someone to fix that next.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

To be fair, this is the first season in a while where Risto has been motivated enough to actually play defence.  That's all Ralph Krueger's influence this year.  His shot is still relatively inaccurate the harder it is, so I'm hoping he finds someone to fix that next.

So you're saying a player can be coached to be better than the stats suggest? Again, based on many posters here, Risto was an atrocious player.

Also, take note to those OJ +/- watchers.

It's a wonder why Edmonton let go of Krueger if he could actually get players to play defense.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

So you're saying a player can be coached to be better than the stats suggest? Again, based on many posters here, Risto was an atrocious player.

Also, take note to those OJ +/- watchers.

It's a wonder why Edmonton let go of Krueger if he could actually get players to play defense.

Motivation has a lot to do with performance.  Just look at how many players magically have career years when their contract is up for renewal. 

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Motivation has a lot to do with performance.  Just look at how many players magically have career years when their contract is up for renewal. 

I'm not disagreeing with you, but many wrote him off. Clearly he can be a better player than his +/- indicated.

It's not a contract year for him, so what's his motivation? More ice time? Can't be since he was getting tonnes before. Playing well to get traded? Seems unlikely. Or has he simply bought into the system? I wonder what philosophy that Krueger has brought to get him to buy in and why didn't it work in Edmonton? Although he did make strides in Edmonton before they let him go for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but many wrote him off. Clearly he can be a better player than his +/- indicated.

I was mostly agreeing with you.  +/- by itself and taken out of context is not a tell all stat.  The Sabres' years of poor goaltending and shaky pairing mates contributed to his numbers.

It's not a contract year for him, so what's his motivation? More ice time? Can't be since he was getting tonnes before. Playing well to get traded? Seems unlikely. Or has he simply bought into the system?

It seems to be a combination of buying into Krueger and accepting that Botterill isn't sending him anywhere.

I wonder what philosophy that Krueger has brought to get him to buy in and why didn't it work in Edmonton? Although he did make strides in Edmonton before they let him go for whatever reason.

If you can find an German-English or French-English translation of it, he wrote a best-selling book called, "Teamlife - Beyond Setbacks to Success".

• Cheers 1

On 12/12/2019 at 5:14 PM, SabreFan1 said:

He's a solid teammate and a decent dman.  His problem is that he can't stay healthy to save his life which makes him overpaid.  I can't see the Sabres getting much for him.

Being a contract year, if he's continually made a healthy scratch, he'll see his next contract's pay drop by millions.  Nobody will want to pick him up for anything close to the $6 million (5.1 cap) that he's making this year.

Trade Baertchi for Bogosian

• Cheers 1

On 12/13/2019 at 2:57 PM, theo5789 said:

It's not a contract year for him, so what's his motivation? More ice time? Can't be since he was getting tonnes before. Playing well to get traded? Seems unlikely. Or has he simply bought into the system? I wonder what philosophy that Krueger has brought to get him to buy in and why didn't it work in Edmonton? Although he did make strides in Edmonton before they let him go for whatever reason.

I haven't dug into the analytics for Ristolainen but I wonder if part of his improved play is usage?  Buffalo is way deeper on D this year than in years past so maybe Ristolainen is able to avoid the toughest matchups.

Having said that, Montour is also having a pretty good season with a significant improvement in his +/- from last season.  From what I have seen, Jokiharju has also been able to be relied on in situations that Ristolainen may have previously been asked to take the lead on.  

Although it's Bogosian who is reported to want out, I'm wondering if there's any way to pry Colin Miller out of Buffalo?  He hasn't been playing much but he seemed like a decent RHD when he was with Vegas.  I'm not sure how he would fit with the Canucks so I'm assuming other teams might be inquiring. 

If the Canucks are interested though, then it's worth noting that he makes slightly more than Baertschi and is under contract for 2 more years after this one.  The Sabres have a bunch of middle 6 forwards becoming FAs next summer so who knows, maybe having a cost controlled middle 6 forward for next season might be attractive to them.  Sheary hasn't produced as much since leaving Pittsburgh but he had a 50-point season a few years ago, something Baertschi hasn't been able to do (though he has scored at around a 50-point pace).

10 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I haven't dug into the analytics for Ristolainen but I wonder if part of his improved play is usage?  Buffalo is way deeper on D this year than in years past so maybe Ristolainen is able to avoid the toughest matchups.

Having said that, Montour is also having a pretty good season with a significant improvement in his +/- from last season.  From what I have seen, Jokiharju has also been able to be relied on in situations that Ristolainen may have previously been asked to take the lead on.  

Although it's Bogosian who is reported to want out, I'm wondering if there's any way to pry Colin Miller out of Buffalo?  He hasn't been playing much but he seemed like a decent RHD when he was with Vegas.  I'm not sure how he would fit with the Canucks so I'm assuming other teams might be inquiring. 

If the Canucks are interested though, then it's worth noting that he makes slightly more than Baertschi and is under contract for 2 more years after this one.  The Sabres have a bunch of middle 6 forwards becoming FAs next summer so who knows, maybe having a cost controlled middle 6 forward for next season might be attractive to them.  Sheary hasn't produced as much since leaving Pittsburgh but he had a 50-point season a few years ago, something Baertschi hasn't been able to do (though he has scored at around a 50-point pace).

It's almost certainly because of usage. I think Risto is still getting the hard matchups, but he isn't depended on to play half the game on most nights anymore. He still leads the team in ice time per game which includes the highest PK minutes on the team, but his total ice time has lowered over the past few seasons. So with that said, a tweak in the team has certainly helped out Risto's dreaded +/-, so who would've thought it could be a team effect on the +/- stat?

Miller is certainly an interesting option, but I'm not sure if Baertschi would get it done. They might be more interested in Pearson in this case. I think Benning hasn't talked a lot about adding a dman particularly a RD because he probably has good enough knowledge that he's expecting Tryamkin back sooner than later, so just biding his time.

• Upvote 1