The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Guentzel out 4-6 months

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

With Guentzel being out that long, and with a 6 million dollar cap hit going away with him, Benning should be on the phone selling Beartschi as hard as possible. 

We would need to retain otherwise I don't see a deal that fits. 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

With Guentzel being out that long, and with a 6 million dollar cap hit going away with him, Benning should be on the phone selling Beartschi as hard as possible. 

Plus the Atlantic and North divisions are all so close in the AHL (both teams farm clubs are in very close proximity to each other), the Utica Comets and Wilkes-Barrie-Scranton Penguins play eachother a lot. So my guess is thy Pens already have seen some good shows from Baertchi down on our farm team. He's been looking good. I hope for Baer we could make a trade work. This could be the perfect opportunity for him.

Edited by Attila Umbrus

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Baertschi has that extra year.  Would think that they are more likely to go after someone that is UFA at the end of the season - Kreider, Toffofi or the likes.    

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Baertschi has that extra year.  Would think that they are more likely to go after someone that is UFA at the end of the season - Kreider, Toffofi or the likes.    

unfortunately I think you're correct. We'd likely have to give up a quality prospect along with Baer for them to take on that extra year too. 

Here's my proposal:

To PIT: Sven Baertschi + Troy Stecher

To VAN: Alex Galchenyuk + Kevin Czuczman

Cap hit is about even (Pens take on $90K). Baertschi fills a need up front, Stecher helps their blueline (which is also hurting, with Dumoulin and Schultz both out for another month). Schultz is UFA at the end of the year, so they could use the cheaper Stecher going forward.

Galch hasn't worked out there at all (then again, neither did Pearson). Give him one more kick at the can riding shotgun with Horvat. Czuczman gives us a replacement LD, and can call up Rafferty as well. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work out, and we just gladly take the extra cap space next year, without having to spend a pick/prospect.

Edited by D-Money