The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Justin Holl

41 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Dubie gonna Dubie. Why do this now? No rush whatsoever, guys 27 with 50 games under his belt. Lock him up? :blink:

There's a bunch of RHD UFAs on the market next season. Oh well, welcome home Tyson. 

“Great value” is probably a little hyperbolic too. From what I’ve seen of Holl he’s just a pretty average 6, maybe 5 d man. Leafs fans are ready to drive him to the airport after half of their games. They’ve been a little happier with him lately but that’s only the last 5-10 games. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He's pretty much their Benn with a far more shallow resumè. He does play a fair bit but with that blueline I think even I could get decent ice time. Decent value for a decent d-man. Decent all around. Lol.

Great points, with four players earning 40+ million, they are definitely, in a cap crunch.  Andersson, will be a free agent at the end of the season; there window is to win now but it will be tough complementing all that fire power - they will need to hit on some rookie d and goalie that overachieves...  As a fan of the Canucks, sign Dubas lomg term.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

“Great value” is probably a little hyperbolic too. From what I’ve seen of Holl he’s just a pretty average 6, maybe 5 d man. Leafs fans are ready to drive him to the airport after half of their games. They’ve been a little happier with him lately but that’s only the last 5-10 games. 

I've only seen the Leafs on HNIC waiting for Canucks games, but from what I saw and the guys stats it makes me wonder what the heck they were doing tying him up for so much term? I suppose the new coach had a say in it, since he saw him so much in the AHL. 

Seems like the kind of deal Benning would have been roasted for. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I've only seen the Leafs on HNIC waiting for Canucks games, but from what I saw and the guys stats it makes me wonder what the heck they were doing tying him up for so much term? I suppose the new coach had a say in it, since he saw him so much in the AHL. 

Seems like the kind of deal Benning would have been roasted for. 

I can’t say I’ve seen enough of him to really have a strong opinion. In the few times I’ve seen him he just looks like a run of the mill third pairing guy at best, and other times he looks like an AHL’er. Not sure it’s a signing that’s really worth getting excited about. 

11 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

A little context here. The TML media are mindless Beliefers who swallow the Laff pablum whole day after day. It’s kind of like some post apocalyptic religion. 
Anyone questioning Leaf player moves in that market stands less of a chance of survival, then one of those North Korean dudes that questions Kim’s golf scores.

It’s not a pretty sight by the time the attack dogs are done.

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Haha 1

Dubas has so many to re-sign this year and he's strapped cap wise.  You have to wonder why he'd sign a 27 year old bottom pair D first.  And give him a raise from $675 to $2M for 3 years.  What on earth is the plan here?  :lol:

Left to sign:  Cici, Muzzin, Barrie (I guess he's gone for sure), Dermott, Klivihalme, Marincin......and that's only the back end.  There are 6 forwards with expiring contracts too!

• Like 1

I saw Holl play maybe 5 or 6 times for the Marlies (usually attend games when Utica is in town).

He was usually one of the better players on the ice - even a few years ago I was surprised he wasn't in the NHL. 

Still seems like a lot to give a 27 year old dman with 50 NHL games under his belt.