The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] John Tortorella fined $20,000

Rate this topic

17 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

What happened? How did that lost second lose them a game and their goalie?

the ref blew the whistle and the clock kept going they lost 1 sec in time , cbj  asked the ref to check the clock the ref refused  cbj scores a goal just after the clock expires , goal is disallowed ( would of counted if they added the second back on the clock)   and the topper the goalie hurts himself in the shoot out  ( out 4-6 weeks now ) and torts loses it after the game  

28 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

What happened? How did that lost second lose them a game and their goalie?

The clock went from 19.2 sec to 18.1 sec, and that extra 1.1 lost seconds was the difference between a goal not counting. As a result, the game remained tied and went to OT, then went to shootout and the CBJ goalie got hurt.

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He  didn't  even get fined. He'll have to pay fine if he makes similar cooments again.. which he obviously  won't.  He got his point across.  

He did get fined. Its just he already has his next fine lined up if he makes similar comments in the next year.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

He did get fined. Its just he already has his next fine lined up if he makes similar comments in the next year.

Oh I misread that.. why would they anounce his next fine... wait till he does something again.. .. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

More like you're going on TV saying that guys from the head office don't know what they are doing. He might be right, but he's a moron for not collecting himself and just saying 

"I'd say more but I'd get fined". Passion is a good thing. But if your coach can't stay focused, what message does that say to the team? 

If he didn't say what he did, many people wouldn't know what actually happened.

If someone's incompetence leads to not only a loss but also an injury, they deserve to be called out.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

When the league idiots say publicly their refs “manage” the games, that’s just like saying their refs don’t really officiate fair.  The refs, by the league’s own statements, try to keep the games close.  The refs “manage” the games.  Ever noticed how the penalties frequently end up the same number (or pretty close) fir each team?  That’s game management.  Keep the score as close as possible, by using penalties to change momentum.  Or all ow one team to get away with more, so they can slow down the better team on that night.  

Oh for sure. They are an entertainment business after all. $ is all they care about.

Clearly they don't care about what's right.

And we've seen time and time again that they zero interest in player safety.

• Upvote 1

Let me get this straight. A coach can be fined 20k but a player can only be fined what 2K. You have players diving all over the place. Making a mockery of the game (soccer style). And they once in awhile get fined 2K and a coach get hit with real cash 20k! For speaking his mind!

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

If he didn't say what he did, many people wouldn't know what actually happened.

If someone's incompetence leads to not only a loss but also an injury, they deserve to be called out.

I think that's why the league wants it the way it is. The less people that are aware of the incompetence and stubbornness of the league means the league is all peachy in most eyes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Some of the older posters here might remember when our previous GM in 2011 Mike Gillis, called out the reffing during the chicago series, clearly exposing how one sided it was and he got fined too?  It was so bad, that chicago went from 0-3 down in the series and went on to tie it. 

There is a lot of similarity between Gillis and Tort's comments actually. Both of them went into detail and CLEARLY showed that the refs wanted one team to win over the other, and both got fined. 

Pretty sad that the league does not want to change anything, and would rather just fine anybody who exposes the fact that sometimes they favour one team over the other. 

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Love him or hate him have to respect that Torts always wears his heart on his sleeve and calls it like it is. Respect to him. Rare quality these days.

i don't agree

if something happened at your work place

and some one you deal with connected with your work

screws up

you really think it is ok to create a public scene and have a temper tantrum?

i think superiors would not agree with this approach

and tell you to calm down

and use the proper channels to deal with your unhappiness and grievances (you might even get sanctioned for your over the top response)

torts refuses to do that

and prefers that the spotlight be on him instead

when he feels he and his team have somehow been wronged

so what does that tell you about torts ?

31 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i don't agree

if something happened at your work place

and some one you deal with connected with your work

screws up

you really think it is ok to create a public scene and have a temper tantrum?

i think superiors would not agree with this approach

and tell you to calm down

and use the proper channels to deal with your unhappiness and grievances (you might even get sanctioned for your over the top response)

torts refuses to do that

and prefers that the spotlight be on him instead

when he feels he and his team have somehow been wronged

so what does that tell you about torts ?

I guess the question is how often has this crap been going on and perhaps this was the straw the broke the camel's back? It may be wrong still, but sometimes keeping the status quo and sweeping everything under the rug while having the same crap happen over and over doesn't accomplish anything.

The league needs to own up to their mistake, apologize and actually be doing something about correcting it (this was asked of Don Cherry and he refused and got canned). As wrong as Torts may be for doing what he did, the league is just as wrong (or worse) for their actions. They are trying to force his mouth shut preemptively for a future infraction which seems to indicate the league will continue business as usual because they are showing no faith in being able to fix themselves, but rather stop the attention being brought upon it.

• Upvote 1