The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

During this win streak we have won blow out games, tight games, sloppy games, stellar games, barn burners, snoozers, goals from our best, secondary scoring, and goals from our back end, and winning despite our goaltending but mostly getting great goaltending and marky or demko stealing points as well.

This team seems to have no weakness. I love it. The future is bright, but so is the present.

Decent coaching too, way to shut me up Green.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Weak win against a weak team. We went back to the play style of when we sucked. We gave them wayyyyyy too much respect. That's a team you enforce the action against, not the other way around. Thank God Markstrom was a beast again. First line was the only line paying attention to detail. Motte played great too. 

No attention to detail away from the puck and it nearly cost us an easy 2 points. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Fire Green boys where you at? 

That one was honestly not the game to make a point that Green was a good coach. Absolutely no adjustments and so many of them were easy to make. Should have played tight point defense and adjusted the powerplay. That win is on Markstrom, not the coach. We resorted back to the dump and chase when they were literally giving us the blueline 95% of that game. We won about 2 races to the puck that entire game and we chipped the puck in over a hundred times lol. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, 1-d said:

I said it before and I say it again:  Without Marky this team shares the basement of WC standings with those 3 Cali teams.

Without a doubt. He's outright stolen AT MINIMUM 10 points. That puts us 6th in the division behind San Jose. I'd argue he's gotten us at least 15 alone. 

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

You could say that about most teams. Good teams have good goalies 

You can say that about the five teams that have Vezina candidate goaltenders. Most good teams don't rely on their goaltenders to win games. You have the anomalies like Arizona, Edmonton, Vancouver and a few others but 90% of the league isn't gaining that many points off of goaltending at this point in the season. Edmonton has had great goaltending from Koskinen this season but he's nowhere on Markstrom's level, Arizona is pretty close but they're far more of a defensive team, Pittsburgh is missing Crosby and Malkin has stepped up yet again, and most teams at the top are usually winning by outskilling teams. 

What other teams have had goaltending steal them this many games? 

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

That one was honestly not the game to make a point that Green was a good coach. Absolutely no adjustments and so many of them were easy to make. Should have played tight point defense and adjusted the powerplay. That win is on Markstrom, not the coach. We resorted back to the dump and chase when they were literally giving us the blueline 95% of that game. We won about 2 races to the puck that entire game and we chipped the puck in over a hundred times lol. 

With almost half a season still to go - I dont really care - how they win as long as, they make the playoffs cause that playoff experience (in my opinion) is what our young core and first time Coach needs to take the next step in there developement, which is - learning to win as a team. This roster (that is being supplemented by a solid goaltending tandem), seems to be good enough to make the playoffs and as a fan, it is more than enough reason to remain engage - still a long season filled with the regular drama of up then down then up and so on.

I hope, Green realizes the difference between playing and competing (first chance, coaching a competitive roster) during the long regular season compared to a short playoff series - adjustments.  In a long season, you have time to experiment but with the intensity of a short playoff series, he will have an opportunity to cement a long legacy as a Canuck coach or crack (same goes for our young core).  I am really hoping, we get into the playoffs cause it will truly define Greens' tenure and reveal the readiness of the core - cant wait and GCG !!!braveheart GIF

OR

run away nuclear explosion GIF by Identity

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

Without a doubt. He's outright stolen AT MINIMUM 10 points. That puts us 6th in the division behind San Jose. I'd argue he's gotten us at least 15 alone. 

Ditto.  In any game that requires a goalie, will always be dependent on the performance of the goalie.  Despite Markstrom reason(s) for his current level of play, I hope he earns his next contract and continues to remain hungry afterwards cause for awhile, during his earlier days as Canuck, he seems to be a player that had all the talent but lacks the mental strenght to be a #1 goalie - all hype.   

Also, I am currently enjoying the line combos that the coaching staff had put together - finally some stability in the line combo - but I understand, eventually the league will adjust and the line blender will PERHAPS start again (just a neccessary part of playing a long season and the staff(s) deserves some credit for the line adjustments). 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

You can say that about the five teams that have Vezina candidate goaltenders. Most good teams don't rely on their goaltenders to win games. You have the anomalies like Arizona, Edmonton, Vancouver and a few others but 90% of the league isn't gaining that many points off of goaltending at this point in the season. Edmonton has had great goaltending from Koskinen this season but he's nowhere on Markstrom's level, Arizona is pretty close but they're far more of a defensive team, Pittsburgh is missing Crosby and Malkin has stepped up yet again, and most teams at the top are usually winning by outskilling teams. 

LOTS

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You have this perception because you're mostly watching Canucks games. If you watch other teams, you'll see quickly that goalies steal many many games every night. Even elite teams have to get bailed out every so often. That's why the goalie position is the most important in hockey.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1