The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Biggest surprise by the break....besides Hughes

Rate this topic

danjr

Best surprise player by stats  

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 1/19/2020 at 11:46 AM, Coconuts said:

I'd go with Pearson, he had a rough go last season and bounce back years are tough to predict. I mean, I like Guddy as a person but being traded for him isn't a positive sign nowadays. Jake's still young enough that I was expecting continued growth and Miller was pretty valued by Tampa and it's fans. It's hard to know how a guy fits in with a new team, but being put with Petey has certainly helped both players. 

Biggest disappointment would probably be Ferland, not that I can really blame him for how injuries have factored in. The risk was always there, but I was hoping things would go differently. 

I went with him too.  Miller hasn't been a surprise given that enough fantasy writers had him as a possible 65 plus point guy playing on our top line.  Pearson however is playing like a top line player most nights - and adding a bit more bite to our second unit  - and really anything could of happened after his relatively small audition with Horvat last year ... been a Miller like guy playing against better competition at home.   JV would be my second pick.   Nice to see he's still on a steady incline - and getting a chance to see if his tops on the team per sixty 5 x 5 scoring can get any better then it already is playing with EP/Miller...

• Cheers 1

I think there's a case to be made for people saying they expected or didn't expect every player on the list to perform like they have, but I voted Marky because his play is Allstar and Vezina nomination worthy. He has stolen so many games for us. Without him we're not in the position we're in. Considering where he was as early as last year, his turnaround has been something else. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think there's a case to be made for people saying they expected or didn't expect every player on the list to perform like they have, but I voted Marky because his play is Allstar and Vezina nomination worthy. He has stolen so many games for us. Without him we're not in the position we're in. Considering where he was as early as last year, his turnaround has been something else. 

His play the last ten games is definitely Vezina worthy,  but as a whole,  compared to his peers, he's 8th in wins, 13th among starters in sp at .916 and on pace for two shutouts.  He's also near the top for games played.  Yes for him he's been outstanding, and if he keeps up his current pace will start to climb the list in all catagories too.    And is an All-Star, and think even under the old format he gets the nod.   A few blowouts haven't helped his stats which is also considered, same with the team infornt of him.  At this point he's definitely get some votes but Vezina worthy is a stretch for sure. 

I went with Pearson. After getting traded twice last year, having his points production drop for two consecutive years, and having a slow start this season, it is a really pleasant surprise to see him producing like a top line player the last couple of dozen games.

It surprises me that so many people are surprised about Miller. He is a big, strong, skilled all situations player. When he got top 6 icetime in New York, he produced top line points. When he got low third line icetime in Tampa, he still produced at a high second line level.

I figured that if he got to play with Petey all season, he would produce 70 plus points this season, which appears to be more or less where he is headed. All of you who are surprised at his productivity, what exactly were you expecting from him?

Edited by WeneedLumme

Hmmm.... a lil' off topic. But the fact we're tops in the Pacific. That's the biggest one to me. However. Getting back on topic....

Good surprises:

- Markstrom playing like a #1

- Levio's continued success since we got him.

- Tanner Pearson's resurgence

- Quinn Hughes rookie campiagn. His continued success at his position was a delight to see translated to the NHL.  I figured he'd struggle. i was wrong!

- Demko's development as back up and possible future #1

- Tanev in the lineup still!

Not Good surprises:

-  Ferland's concussion issues playing a part in his lack of play and play in general

- 3rd, mostly the 4th line issues when Sutter is out

- The Flow's lack of goals. Thought he'd be up there with the other top young scorers

- Bo's production

- Lack of effectiveness from Utica call ups

Might be others I've missed, but that's all I can think of right now. 

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

His play the last ten games is definitely Vezina worthy,  but as a whole,  compared to his peers, he's 8th in wins, 13th among starters in sp at .916 and on pace for two shutouts.  He's also near the top for games played.  Yes for him he's been outstanding, and if he keeps up his current pace will start to climb the list in all catagories too.    And is an All-Star, and think even under the old format he gets the nod.   A few blowouts haven't helped his stats which is also considered, same with the team infornt of him.  At this point he's definitely get some votes but Vezina worthy is a stretch for sure. 

According Ed Willes recently (https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/willes-musings-all-star-markstrom-not-getting-respect-he-deserves):

"According to Clear Sight, which was founded by former NHL goalie Steve Valiquette, Jacob Markstrom leads all NHL goalies in expected goals, a cumulative statistic that calculates the difference between the number of goals expected based on the type and quality of shots and the number of goals allowed. He’s also second in expected save percentage. Look at me with the fancy stats. Markstrom is top six in two other key analytical categories, which confirms something the faithful have long-since suspected: the Canucks’ keeper is a top-five goalie this NHL season."

Vezina-winning worthy? I'm not so sure. Nominee? I think so, especially considering some underlying stats and all-star status this year. 

Edited by Jester13
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

According Ed Willes recently (https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/willes-musings-all-star-markstrom-not-getting-respect-he-deserves):

"According to Clear Sight, which was founded by former NHL goalie Steve Valiquette, Jacob Markstrom leads all NHL goalies in expected goals, a cumulative statistic that calculates the difference between the number of goals expected based on the type and quality of shots and the number of goals allowed. He’s also second in expected save percentage. Look at me with the fancy stats. Markstrom is top six in two other key analytical categories, which confirms something the faithful have long-since suspected: the Canucks’ keeper is a top-five goalie this NHL season."

Vezina-winning worthy? I'm not so sure. Nominee? I think so, especially considering some underlying stats and all-star status this year. 

That's great that people with bigger brains then me can get into and behind the numbers to really show what's happening.  Personally the best ever have rarely seen a dip or much of rise either - in sp when they move teams, whether it's a good one or bad one and it's definitely the most important stat when looking at these guys.   How many saves do they make doesn't tell the whole story though - quality of shots definitely matter.   In just happy we have him, he's a great teammate and had definitely earned another contract.  Late bloomer for sure but he's finally doing what people thought he would.   Lucky for us we've also got Demko in the wings, and of JM ascension means we have to give Demko up as a sacrificial lamb to Seattle so be it.    Hope JB can do a good job on re-signing him.     And happy he's going to the All-Star game.  He's definitely a contender for top three goalie in our conference the way he's been playing, and it he can keep it up - even the Vezina.    Never thought in a million years I'd be saying those two things in the same sentence two years ago- back then he was a weak spot, especially with the early goals let in, and was two games shy of tying the record for most games (131) without a SO...

Besides Hughes basically immediate high level of play, I would have to go with Pearson and Miller as my biggest surprises.

I liked the Miller trade even if it seemed like an expensive one to make at the time.  Miller was a bona fide top-6 forward even before his explosion this season, but his performance so far has been beyond what I would have expected.  I thought Miller could definitely help EP out but I didn't expect Miller to be quite so dominant himself.

Pearson is a feel good story.  He had a good run to end last season and it felt like he would be able to turn things around this year.  To be on pace for a 50-60+ point season is not what anyone would have expected however.  There was no reason to even expect that he would be on that kind of pace as I think most projected him to be a 30-40 point defensively sound forward who could be a consistent winger for Bo.

I agree with other posters who have commented that Jake's progress is less of a surprise and more of a realization of what we all had hoped for.  He still needs to keep it going but he's definitely trending in the right direction.

At this point in the season, I personally think Jake's progression will likely push Leivo out of the organization.  If Jake can play consistently at the level he has been for the past few weeks, then his game is more valuable than Leivo's (IMHO).  Leivo is a great middle-6 forward and will be a strong addition to most teams.

Pearson.

And if I'm completely honest, I still don't really like the type of game he plays. He's got that LA Kings style of grind it out and throw everything on net hockey. I guess even I have to admit he's producing in spite of not passing my eye test.

Good for him, hope he keeps it up.

34 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Pearson.

And if I'm completely honest, I still don't really like the type of game he plays. He's got that LA Kings style of grind it out and throw everything on net hockey. I guess even I have to admit he's producing in spite of not passing my eye test.

Good for him, hope he keeps it up.

IF anything I think we need more guys like that :lol:

For me, Gaudette has been the biggest surprise by far. Didn't expect him to make it, yet let alone play so well and be so clutch. 

Can't say anyone else has really surprised me aside from maybe Marky playing so consistent