The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Sits When Ferland and Leivo Return?

Rate this topic

Schmautzie

20 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

It’s great to see the team playing great and firing on all cylinders. But what happens when Ferland and Leivo are healthy?

With Loui’s resurgence its going to be a difficult decision. The obvious choices other than Schaller are Motte and/or Beagle but they are both contributing to the current success.

Thoughts?

I think Leivo is down until somewhere around March. I think Ferland is at least 2 - 3 weeks out (might be wrong, concussions are tricky, especially for Ferland). That means, plenty of time for Sutter or someone else to wind up injured to make room for them. Unfortunately, it ALWAYS happens lol

I don't think we can even think about these two returning anytime soon.  Ferland may end up retiring. Or at least taking the whole season off.  With Leivo, a knee injury like that takes time not only to heal, but to get back into game shape and confidence playing. 

They should remain on LIR until after the TDL. Partly for reasons of making sure they are 100%, partly because we can use the cap retrieval money at the TDL. We will need them more for the final run and playoffs. And have some extra cash to spend at the TDL

21 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Miller Pettersson Virtanen

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Roussel Gaudette Ferland

Sutter Beagle Motte

Leivo, Eriksson

I don’t think we’ll have this “problem” for awhile though. But then things could look much different anyways.

I like this lineup !

but I’d switch sutter with Roussel to give us 3 offensive lines and 1 energy line 

Ferland should consider retiring.   His head just seems not strong enough now moving forward.

A hit / facepuncher that has a fragile head.   No thanks.

Really think he should think about staying on medical leave and consider retiring eventually. Not worth risking his brain  or long term health. 

23 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

It’s great to see the team playing great and firing on all cylinders. But what happens when Ferland and Leivo are healthy?

With Loui’s resurgence its going to be a difficult decision. The obvious choices other than Schaller are Motte and/or Beagle but they are both contributing to the current success.

Thoughts?

Motte should never come out of this lineup, all star fourthliner 

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2020 at 4:33 PM, DeNiro said:

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Roussel Gaudette Ferland

Sutter Beagle Motte

Leivo, Eriksson

I don’t think we’ll have this “problem” for awhile though. But then things could look much different anyways.

I like Boeser with Horvat and would give this a try:

Pearson Horvat Boeser
Sutter Gaudette Erickson 
Roussel Beagle Motte

Seems like Roussel, Motte and Gaudette just plain refuse to be sent to the press box although they are probably the most obvious candidates, along with Erickson, to sit if Leivo and Ferland come back strong.  Selfishly I would like to see them send Ferland and Leivo to Utica for a conditioning stint so I can see how they look.  Give Justin Bailey a chance to have a cup of coffee with the big club.  Then after a couple of games put Ferland in Erickson's spot.  Give Leivo a shot in Roussel's spot to start with.  Schaller to Utica 

Edited by hobart16

11 hours ago, Drakrami said:

sigh... 

We have 24 players on our roster and that's not counting MacEwen already. 

If we picked up Schenn in the minors in a trade he wouldn't count and then we can call him up after the deadline whenever if and when injuries hit.

2 hours ago, Kanuck_Krazy said:

Erickson sits for Ferland. Then Beagle for Leivo moving Sutter to centre. Schaller to minors.

I'm not disagreeing but ouch we'd probably lead the league in most cap space spent on healthy scratches. Don't forget Benn has been scratched lately too.

Easy schaller  and eriksson. 

do we  even have the cap space to have those guys come of the IR.

I’m not even sure we have roster space so who do we send down and are the waiver eligible?

Levio and ferland when heathy are upgrades over LE and Schaller 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, combover said:

Easy schaller  and eriksson. 

do we  even have the cap space to have those guys come of the IR.

I’m not even sure we have roster space so who do we send down and are the waiver eligible?

Levio and ferland when heathy are upgrades over LE and Schaller 

Schaller already sitting.

Shouldn't be an issue after the deadline unless they both come back prior to it. Might have to waive Eriksson/Schaller for roster reasons.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Must be my age. I forgot about these two. At the present and the past few games, we didn't miss 'em. That being said.

Schaller and LE? Fantenburg in for Benn? Plus the call ups from the farm? I guess that bodes well for our depth. 

To be honest, I don't know who should sit when both those guys return. Levio makes us better, and I'm iffy on Ferland. I was high on the Ferland's acquisition, but so far he's been a dud.

• Cheers 1

Eriksson and one of Schaller/Sutter

Keep the Gaud/JV connection together, and hope that Ferkland can find chemistry with Bo... and still play gritty hockey <_<

Might need to look at trading Sutter or Beagle with our cap space, as it seems Baertchi and Loui are harder to trade than herpes

Edited by Davathor
  • Wat 1

On 1/20/2020 at 4:22 PM, Butters Stoch said:

I'm not disagreeing but ouch we'd probably lead the league in most cap space spent on healthy scratches. Don't forget Benn has been scratched lately too.

Yeah for sure. This is icing your best possible lineup though. I'm sure it won't be too long before someone is hurt again.

3 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

I guess we’ll find out the answer to who is the first to sit after Schaller very soon. Ferland is apparently expected back after the all-star break.

Hopefully he sits. That current team chemistry you cannot buy.