The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Jan. 29, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I wouldn't have a problem with the hit - if Karlsson's elbow is not in the back of the opposing players head/helmet - people can otherwise see this as a 'normal' hockey play imo and that would be valid, but there was clearly the element of riding Motte's head into the boards via Karlsson's raised elbow = dirty play imo, and one that isn't a case where the player's body position shifted at the last moment, or the player pivoted - I agree with your take.

He directed Motte in for sure, and the guilty look after proves it.

Still crickets from the league, and our team. :mad:

Just now, xereau said:

He directed Motte in for sure, and the guilty look after proves it.

Still crickets from the league, and our team. :mad:

Tanev did take out Hertl with an aggressive shot block attempt. 

Not sure what you wanted the team to do last night, the new focus is on winning as punishment. They gutted out an excellent win. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Not sure what you wanted the team to do last night, the new focus is on winning as punishment. They gutted out an excellent win. 

The whole winning as punishment method while great on the scoreboard, and in the standings, doesn't help the team when the injuries mount because teams know that the officials are a step below toilet grime.

Tit for tat. Karlsson's lack of respect to Motte, should amount to a Canuck's lack of respect to a San Jose player. Might make them think twice. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Tit for tat. Karlsson's lack of respect to Motte, should amount to a Canuck's lack of respect to a San Jose player. Might make them think twice. 

Swear at one point I saw Hockey Gaud give Kane a pretty dirty look - does that count as lack of respect? 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The whole winning as punishment method while great on the scoreboard, and in the standings, doesn't help the team when the injuries mount because teams know that the officials are a step below toilet grime.

It doesn't seem like its what the team wants to do - here's Roussel's take on it:

While the Canucks could go the rental route and surrender a late-round pick to add a grinding deterrent to their mix, Roussel doesn’t believe that’s prudent — even with fourth-liner Tyler Motte injured Wednesday during a 5-2 win in San Jose to open a five-game road trip.

Motte is back in Vancouver for evaluation after his head and right shoulder were slammed into the end boards on a non-penalized hit by Erik Karlsson. That could mean Tim Schaller returns Saturday in Brooklyn, N.Y., and perhaps a recall for depth purposes.

“It’s not our identity if we chase for toughness. That’s not going to give us a good trade-off for the way we’re playing,” stressed Roussel. “Is that really going to help us? I think we’re good right now. If we get Ferly (Ferland) healthy, he doesn’t need to fight — it’s just getting him back in the lineup.

“Playing tough is playing hard. Make people crack. That’s how we’ve had success this year. When we won the West with Dallas (regular-season title in 2015-16), I kind of see the same thing happening here. We are coming into buildings with no fear at all.

“And when you have (Brandon) Sutter playing fourth-line wing, you’re well balanced and we also have some depth at centre, too. We’re sitting pretty good.”

Playing tough is also playing smart. Matchups on the road are harder and reputations are just as difficult to shed.

Roussel has 23 penalty minutes in his 23 games, and for a guy who regularly tops 100 minutes a season, his true value is being on the ice and not in the box. Not that it’s easy — he has to play on the edge.

“A fire needs to to be addressed at the right time and not all the time,” he said. “I’d get $&!#ty calls for nothing and I have to control the game more than going after it. The refs are always looking like: ‘Has he calmed down?’ And I better look at guys if they’re raising $&!#.

“Sometimes, you need to be more aware of who’s on the ice. We’re not going to steamroll every team. But at the start of the year, we’d be down a goal and it was like: ‘Holy cow, how are we going to get back?’ Now, I don’t think anybody is nervous.”

The playing-hard mantra even extends to star players. A growth in Pettersson’s game is pushback. He’ll take a hit and give one right back to the same player. It creates respect, time and space.

“When Pettersson hit (Brayden) Schenn, you could see the build-up and the fire and it’s contagious,” Roussel said of a 3-1 win over the St. Louis Blues on Monday.

“When your best player goes after a big and tough guy, it makes you comfortable in games. That’s encouraging with where we want to go.”

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/ben-kuzma-roussel-believes-canucks-shouldnt-chase-toughness-at-trade-deadline/wcm/886599c2-8bc3-4c9e-b39b-8a8055090073

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Swear at one point I saw Hockey Gaud give Kane a pretty dirty look - does that count as lack of respect? 

I remember that, and I believe Kane's reaction was "I should tread lightly", not really knowing who this big Gaudette kid is. Wouldn't that be awesome if Gaud had a dark side? 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hertl out for the season. BBQ Shark anyone? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah after what Karlsson did my empathy level is down a bit. I don't want anyone hurt but I'm having a hard time giving a $&!#. 

Hertl being hurt that bad may have had EK looking for a pound of flesh. 

3 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Hertl being hurt that bad may have had EK looking for a pound of flesh. 

Yup could be. I think its more attitude, they still think they're the better team and don't like having us hand them their asses. So EK chose to be careless, and he did get away with it. The team didn't tho, which is what our team has chosen to focus on. It frustrates me as I'm still a little old school but not much I can do, just hope they can play through it. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yup could be. I think its more attitude, they still think they're the better team and don't like having us hand them their asses. So EK chose to be careless, and he did get away with it. The team didn't tho, which is what our team has chosen to focus on. It frustrates me as I'm still a little old school but not much I can do, just hope they can play through it. 

Cmon guys. Motte should have pushed the puck into the corner and peeled off rather than try to hold off EK and drive the net. No way he was getting around EK. Motte put himself in a bad position. Yeah it was a bit dirty but Motte had options. 

• Thanks 1

Thought we had it worst losing Motte, but Hertl out for season, and the 2 points from your tank... after beating St. Louis.

How is this small team surviving and thriving?

Hughes effect... crazy.

Marky/Demko cast... Jennings hopefuls.

1st and 2nd line scoring capability... above average.

Depth.... Check.

Faceoffs... Quadruple Check. 

I'd really like a meaner defenseman/policeman...

Someone who could hit and enforce on the back end would be perfect...

Like a Marchment, Kasperitis, Stevens... Not today's Subban...  And don't try to bagskate the Tram...

What a great 2 games.  Cheers all.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah after what Karlsson did my empathy level is down a bit. I don't want anyone hurt but I'm having a hard time giving a $&!#. 

It was absolutely gutless. Nhl isnt gonna suspend him, no call on the play but whatever we got the W 

I have 0 respect left for Karlsson now, probably only swede I've ever lost all respect for. 

To target motter's head, ON MENTAL HEALTH day?! 

Gutless pig. 

19 minutes ago, apollo said:

It was absolutely gutless. Nhl isnt gonna suspend him, no call on the play but whatever we got the W 

I have 0 respect left for Karlsson now, probably only swede I've ever lost all respect for. 

To target motter's head, ON MENTAL HEALTH day?! 

Gutless pig. 

And on a nightmare contract. I would take Pouty Doughty and many others over Karlsson any day.