The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Nucks @ Bruins - Feb 04 2020 - 4pm Pacific - SNET

Rate this topic

xereau

25 minutes ago, Darius said:

ouzo...you in Greece?

I was there once and had a little too much Retsina.  Tastes like Pine Sol mixed with white wine.  Not a good outcome!

Yep, Nafplio 

Retsina is really bad, and yes they actually add pine resin for some reason,  it's  1 euro a litre . Thankfully the new wine industry is very good, 6 euros for good wine.

Go Canucks go 

Big win tonight boys

1 minute ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Yep, Nafplio 

Retsina is really bad, and yes they actually add pine resin for some reason,  it's  1 euro a litre . Thankfully the new wine industry is very good, 6 euros for good wine.

Go Canucks go 

Big win tonight boys

i remember the kids were mixing retsina with coca cola.    nice part of the world there, i was in Crete ..loved it.

You need to go up to the Acropolis, put on your Canucks Jersey and take a pic!

Wow wow wow, what’s with all the Loui hate all of a sudden?  

The guy has made that line solid for the last 15 games and now after one bad outing we’re throwing him under the bus?  

Will we also ask for Green to be fired if we lose today?  

Have some faith and show some support for your team for Pete’s sake! 

4th road game in 6 days and 3rd in 4 days, this is when the cardio pays off... Let's hope they keep their legs moving tonight, because Boston is hot right now. It'd be nice to take them down in their arena should be a good game, and hopefully Gaudette puts on a show for his friends and family. 

17 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Leave Jake with Petey and Miller and stick Boeser with Horvat. Please coach. :( 

17 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I think we're one bad Eriksson game away from that. Yesterday was the first time in weeks that the Horvat line didn't look great, he wasn't going to change when that line was flying.

17 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

He changed the Miller, Petey, Jake line and they were playing great too. I don't get why he is dead set against putting Bo and Boeser together. The best we seen of Boeser was on that line. Yes statistically he's just as good with Petey but he plays better with Bo. It's the oddest thing why we haven't seen that combo since Boeser's rookie season. Boeser's ozone starts is 53%, so it's not like he is atrocious in the defensive zone nor is he being protected. 

OK, I would like to weigh in on this one. The question is, why not play Boeser with Horvat? Here is my answer.

1. From the time Eriksson joined the Horvat line up through the end of January, the line of Horvat. Pearson, and Eriksson was outstanding. They had by far the toughest minutes. I checked the minutes against the other team's top line pretty much every game and they had the most minutes against the other team's top line by a big margin every game and most games were "hard-matched" against the other team's top line.  Despite that, they won the Corsi battle. One number that I think is very interesting the "On-ice high danger Corsi-for per 60 percentage". In other words, who was generating the most surplus of high danger chances for versus high danger chances against per 60 minutes? The answer. The best number on the team was Erkisson, although Horvat and Pearson were about the the same. EP and Miller were also very good but not as good. And EP had 69% o-zone face-offs versus 37% for Horvat. And of course, the Horvat line played against much tougher competition on average.

2. The Horvat line may have been the best shutdown line in the league over that period -- playing big minutes against the other teams top line every night and outplaying them and outscoring them. The fact that Eriksson was a big part of that was a huge bonus for the Canucks. Before that, it seems like Eriksson was basically dead money, with his 6 million cap hit in the press box every night. Suddenly he was a very valuable player. He changed from dead money to found money. It would have been crazy to break up that line. While EP and Miller have been great, I would argue that the Horvat line actually played the most valuable role over the Canucks run during the past 6 or 7 weeks. It is just as important to prevent a goal as it is to score a goal and the Horvat line has been doing both. 

3. The problem with putting Boeser on that line is that he is not good enough defensively. If Green made that change, the Horvat line could no longer soak up the tough minutes.  That would be a huge loss, especially as neither the Gaudette line nor the Beagle has been effective in a shutdown role.  (Beagle had a high danger corsi for percentage of 34% over that period versus 53% for Horvat, That is a very low number, despite playing relatively easy minutes.) That line would have been much less valuable with Boeser on it than with Eriksson. 

4. In addition, you would expect Boeser to contribute more than Eriksson elsewhere in the  line-up. Despite all the talk about the Canucks being a 4-lien team and everyone contribute, in fact the Canucks have basically been a two-line team over their hot streak, with two excellent lines and two lines whose performance is marginal at best. At least, that is what the numbers say. It would be good to get better performance from the third line and I can understand Green wanting to try Boeser on that line, especially as Virtanen was just as good with EP and Miller as Boeser was. 

5. However, the performance of the Horvat line dropped off in both of the past two games (vs. Carolina and the Islanders). Even so, they were hard-matched against the other team's top line and still soaked up most of the toughest minutes. I would say that their performance dropped off from stellar to about the expected value for pretty good shutdown line. It would be too early to give up on that line now. If their performance continues at the current level or drops further for a couple more games, maybe, but even that would be pushing it. 

6. The Horvat line will have a tough match-up tonight. If they can play even against Marchand and Bergeron, that would be big boost to the team. I would not mess with that line today.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

Be the hardest working team tonight and we should see a pretty good game again. 

Oh and Marky will give us a chance to win tonight. 

I would love to see Boes up with Bo, too. But then what happens to the 3rd line and possibly 4th line?

I don't like Gaud's line playing the match up role. What they need to do is to score some points. 

And is it wise to take chances with some of our scratched players being injected into the lineup at this point of the season when the team has been playing well?

Something to think about. 

Why don't we try putting Virtanen back on the Bo line.  I think the defensive side won't be affected as much, as if BB was put on that line.  Drop LE to the 3rd line for a defensive presence for AG.  We can always re-unite the insurance line for when the net is empty.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

How about my team Canada jersey? Still smells like Czech Beer from the world juniors hockey in Czech republic. We are still glowing from that experience. Nice to be here after the tournament,  it was cold there and didn't see a vegetable for 2 weeks 

Greek food is awesome 

IMG_20200105_190651933_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Is it just me or does the big dude behind you look like he’d be a total d*ck haha

• Haha 1