The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Preds @ Nucks Feb 10 2020 - 7pm Pacific - SNET

Rate this topic

xereau

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Same. Why Green feels the need to overplay Markstrom is beyond me.

Most important game of the season ..... you go with the goalie that you're hitching your wagon to.  If the canucks had a bigger lead in the standings, I'm sure that Demko would've gotten this game.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

Most important game of the season ..... you go with the goalie that you're hitching your wagon to.  If the canucks had a bigger lead in the standings, I'm sure that Demko would've gotten this game.

What makes this game the most important game of the season?

Frankly, I'm thinking that you spread out the starts and not burn out your starter.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Every game is important at this point. We just going to ride marky into the ground?

• Upvote 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What makes this game the most important game of the season?

Frankly, I'm thinking that you spread out the starts and not burn out your starter.

With the Sedin week and than their game schedule spreading out somewhat I see Marky starting the next 4 games or so unless coaching staff see a real tail off of his game.

oh yeah, and the Chicago game after this one... will be our most important game of the year, and than Anaheim after that and on and on we go as the pressure to make the playoffs increases. B)

28 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Same. Why Green feels the need to overplay Markstrom is beyond me.

It's the same mistake Vigneault made when he was here, overplaying the top guy.

Making the playoffs is important, but if your team is completely gassed when you get there, it's the route to embarrassment. See: Us vs San Jose in the broomstick year.

There's a reason other successful teams have that 60/40 split tandem going with the occasional 'ride the hot hand' which makes sense. Because it works for long-term. 

Virtanen played great with Miller and Petey, so hopefully that line is reunited.

Schaller had his goal this year. Guy's a plug through and through.

Powerplay has been terrible the past month. That cherry-pick "high percentage" is starting to dip pretty quickly.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Never know which team will show up. Canucks are inconsistent. Rafferty is supposed to be having a great year, why not give him a chance? Same with Bailey. Canucks are facing another struggling team tonight, doesn't ease my concern. This is Sedin week, they've got to win one, right?

4 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Bang On!

That's for sure.  Really like Markstrom, he's been one of our MVPs to date no doubt.  I feel like fans in this market forgot what a number one goalie is supposed to do for us, that is give the guys a chance each game and steal the odd one nothing more.  He isn't considered elite outside of this market, and rightly so.  Most team number ones have done and do what he does game in game out - many for a lot lot longer.   Smith for example.  OT Anderson in OTT - or even Howard in Detroit.    Yes he is left exposed - but we also have a team that's capable of scoring five goals on any given night too.  

IMO we were spoiled a bit when Luongo was here so maybe expectations are a bit high and I'm hoping Markstrom gets re-signed and is maybe on par with McLean while he was here and has a couple Vezina worthy seasons.   However part of me worries we end up with ok but not stellar goaltending like we had during the WCE years - and for that reason they (management) really need to be sure.  Demko is miles ahead of where Markstrom was at the same age - play him more.  We won't really know what we've got unless we do.  Samsanov is making Holtby irrelevant - maybe Demko can do to the same.   Yes Markstrom is better then he used to be - but he's not elite (yet anyways).    Elite goalies get 5-10 shutouts no matter the shot count or who's playing in front of them.  

• Upvote 1