The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Preds @ Nucks Feb 10 2020 - 7pm Pacific - SNET

Rate this topic

xereau

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

That's for sure.  Really like Markstrom, he's been one of our MVPs to date no doubt.  I feel like fans in this market forgot what a number one goalie is supposed to do for us, that is give the guys a chance each game and steal the odd one nothing more.  He isn't considered elite outside of this market, and rightly so.  Most team number ones have done and do what he does game in game out - many for a lot lot longer.   Smith for example.  OT Anderson in OTT - or even Howard in Detroit.    Yes he is left exposed - but we also have a team that's capable of scoring five goals on any given night too.  

IMO we were spoiled a bit when Luongo was here so maybe expectations are a bit high and I'm hoping Markstrom gets re-signed and is maybe on par with McLean while he was here and has a couple Vezina worthy seasons.   However part of me worries we end up with ok but not stellar goaltending like we had during the WCE years - and for that reason they (management) really need to be sure.  Demko is miles ahead of where Markstrom was at the same age - play him more.  We won't really know what we've got unless we do.  Samsanov is making Holtby irrelevant - maybe Demko can do to the same.   Yes Markstrom is better then he used to be - but he's not elite (yet anyways).    Elite goalies get 5-10 shutouts no matter the shot count or who's playing in front of them.  

What are you basing this on..? Their #'s are nearly identical even though Florida at the time was an awful team, which explains the difference in W-L record.

Markstrom first 2 seasons (age 22-23 and on a Florida team that was near the bottom of the league those 2 seasons)

30GP

29GS

10-18-2

.912SV%

2.94GAA

Demko first 2 seasons (age 23-24 and on a Canuck team that is currently contending for a division championship)

28GP

26GS

15-8-3

.909SV%

2.92GAA

Demko is nowhere near "miles ahead" at the same age, not even remotely close.

22 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, pretty amazing, what Nurse and Masai, had done despite the roster turnovers.

Hoping, for a win and two points closer to a playoff berth. GCG!

tbh I am a basketball nube, so I may mis-read some of the stuff I think Nick is doing.

BUt that team runs 2 different zone coverages and a man 2 man. And their Defense is deadly.

When Nick says "We thought we'd try X" I feel it is something that he has thought through and practiced and they try it to confuse the opposition

Green seems to need all players to understand his (one) system. When he needs too try something different, the (one) option is line juggle.

the Raps have the buy in that every team talks about and hopes they have. 

When the Raps needed a win to send Nick et al to the all star game, they got it . Then the players came over and shook all the coaching staffs hand.

That was awesome 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

Okay, here's the plan:

The Canucks retire #22 and #33 on Wednesday. On Thursday, Daniel and Henrik, choose new numbers and sign a new $1 contract for the playoffs only, to give them one last chance at a Cup. From now until the playoffs they will train and get back into game shape.

I know it's impossible and would never happen, but I would love that. Be like pulling another Bure, watching the rest of the league go "they can't do that! Can they?!" lol

Imagine Henrik as the #3C ;) 

46 minutes ago, lmm said:

I have been watching a lot of Raps games lately.

I think Nick Nurse is awesome, 

Kind of the exact opposite of Green

https://www.nba.com/raptors/video/teams/raptors/2020/02/01/3048336/1580525450089-nba-web-200131-nurserawdigital-3048336

Nick is great, he is never afraid to play rookies, underrated players, he is never afraid to make decisions. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Will be interesting to see what Green does with the lines...

I'm doubtful he'll move Gaudette to wing, but I think that's what I'd do with three rookies in the lineup... move LE down to Sutter's wing - give Pearson and Horvat some more heaviness/punch on the wing....

My spitball:

EP Miller Virtanen

Pearson Horvat Bailey

LE Sutter Gaudette

Roussel Beagle MacEwen

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Canucks needed this slide. They were too comfortable and lost some of their work ethic along the way.

Canucks at 100% = a top team in the NHL 

Canucks at 90% = below average team in NHL

Let us hope they have woken up!

that's the truth of parity in the league.  3 teams in the west that are not in the race.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Okay, here's the plan:

The Canucks retire #22 and #33 on Wednesday. On Thursday, Daniel and Henrik, choose new numbers and sign a new $1 contract for the playoffs only, to give them one last chance at a Cup. From now until the playoffs they will train and get back into game shape.

I know it's impossible and would never happen, but I would love that. Be like pulling another Bure, watching the rest of the league go "they can't do that! Can they?!" lol

These guys are still in phenomenal shape. Their cardio is up there with their marathon running, hiking, etc. I bet you they can be in game shape in a couple weeks and be more effective than half our team.

38 minutes ago, mll said:

Watson is expected to draw back in for Nashville after being healthy scratched 3 games - he's going to have to bring physicality if he wants to stay in the lineup.  Leads their team in hits and is not afraid to fight.  

... does his girlfriend really count, though?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Okay, here's the plan:

Or,

Not sure how the ceremony goes, but if they come out in their jerseys and take them off, or maybe they are in suits and the jerseys are already ready to hang up. Either way,  just as the announcer is set to start the rising of the jersey ceremony, Henrik and Daniel take back the jerseys, and pull them over their heads. Raise their arms and announce their retirement is being put on hold!  Head to Utica for a couple weeks before the end of the season for conditioning, then return a few games before the playoffs.

The Sedins are still probably better today, than half our forwards at least. They are slower and older, but not having played the grind of the season, it may balance out. And what a phsyc boost it would be to the rest of the team! 

Obviously not going to happen, but what a story that would be!

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Will be interesting to see what Green does with the lines...

I'm doubtful he'll move Gaudette to wing, but I think that's what I'd do with three rookies in the lineup... move LE down to Sutter's wing - give Pearson and Horvat some more heaviness/punch on the wing....

My spitball:

EP Miller Virtanen

Pearson Horvat Bailey

LE Sutter Gaudette

Roussel Beagle MacEwen

My only quibble... who do you put against the Preds top line?  

Forsberg is going to eat Bailey and Gaudette alive, defensively.