The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Devils trade Andy Greene to Islanders for David Quenneville, 2021 2nd-round pick

18 minutes ago, Pears said:

That is quite the overpayment by the Isles

How so?

2nd is a pretty standard rental price and David Quenneville is a former 7th round pick who has spent the majority of his last two seasons in the ECHL (with stints in the AHL). It's a pretty fair payment.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

How so?

2nd is a pretty standard rental price and David Quenneville is a former 7th round pick who has spent the majority of his last two seasons in the ECHL (with stints in the AHL). It's a pretty fair payment.

Greene right now is nothing more than a bottom pair/depth d man. A few years ago a 2nd would’ve been a fair price but not now. 

• Wat 2

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you were right @oldnews someone did want Greene. Glad we didn't pay a 2nd for him, but would have been a nice add for cheaper. 

yeah - I'm not surprised he's the first rental to move - but I also wouldn't have paid that much - my proposal was to get him included in a Simmonds deal, hopefully mitigating the cost by adding Benn to a deal. 

In any event, a 20+ minute D, who can be a prinicpal penalty killer, eat hard minutes =  a great add.

He was at 40% ozone starts  and one of the very few plus players on the Devils = he'll help the Isles = Trotz will love him.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

11 points in 53 games and he’s 37 years old now. I highly doubt you’d be happy if we gave up that package for him. 

Nice effort, but....

No bottom pairing D plays 20+ minutes a night - and if you believe the first thing to look at is his production (out of context) you've confirmed what I posted.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2nd round pick is nice HOWEVER, Islanders will finish in the top 10 in the league so you're looking at the 50th pick overall.  

Chance of a 50th overall pick making the NHL and playing more then 100 games is pretty slim.  

People are infatuated with draft picks.  Too much so, I'd say. 

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

2nd round pick is nice HOWEVER, Islanders will finish in the top 10 in the league so you're looking at the 50th pick overall.  

Chance of a 50th overall pick making the NHL and playing more then 100 games is pretty slim.  

People are infatuated with draft picks.  Too much so, I'd say. 

that's because of the absolute $&!#ty nuck history of drafting until jb

now people see what good drafting can do

and rather then try to achieve a balanced view about the value of drafting

they are now adopting the extreme view that building an elite team can only be done via the draft

now draft picks are like gold .. and never ever to be traded  ... not even for jt miller

even though everyone would be absolutely thrilled to use a draft pick and acquire miller that way through the draft

yet trading a quality draft pick for miller is simply not a valid move for them

so the whole logic of draft pick values for them makes no sense to me anymore

43 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

In the last two months or so, the Devils have fired their head coach, fired their GM, traded their best player and have now traded their captain.

You talking about the team that tanked a once promising Schneider career right?

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

He was at 40% ozone starts  and one of the very few plus players on the Devils = he'll help the Isles = Trotz will love him.

Trotz was probably consulted on it, no doubt he'll fit the team. 

I'm still curious what could be done for Simmonds, seems to be NJ is getting the overpayments today so maybe standing pat is just fine. 

• Cheers 3