The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tofoli is a rental.  We don’t have cap room to sign guys like Marky and Tanev.  This was 100% JB replacing an injured Bess.  

If your prophesy comes through and Eriksson retires this summer, we have room Alfy my friend! Here's hoping!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

How do you know that Miller and/or Taffoli won’t be here in 3 years, contributing to this team. How do you know Miller still won’t be in his prime? Just because most players fizzle out after 30? You are strictly assuming without factual evidence to back up your claims. 

Look at our cap room.  No way we don’t sign Marky so we can keep Tofoli.  Miller in three years, when his contract is done, will be 30. We will have no cap room to resign him either.  JB already said that he felt going forward he was going to use ELC guys to fill the support player spots as guys age out and or become too costly.  Miller will be either too old or too costly. His spot will be filled by a guy like Podkolzin.  

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

The playoff should not be "THE GOAL" they don't give out trophies for making the playoffs. The issue here is what this team will look like in two years now that it has no high picks next year or, if he is not finished, the year after. Pettersson and Hughes will be getting huge money on a team of 30+ year olds with no young support players. All the prospects from the last 7 years have not made a difference at least not picks after the first round with the exception of Gaudette.

Living day to day is okay for a regular person but teams need to or should plan ahead.

Next year Tofoli is a good chance he goes back home with his kids and plays with Madden:lol:.

Markstrom or Demko are gone.

Edler and Tanev, well they are older at the least.

This is one for the time capsule

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

do you know what the word term means?

Sure do.  The King's weren't picking up an extra year but had zero need to take back cap yet they did.

You sound like the bulk of this forum after the Shinkaruk trade.  Or Forsling trade.  Etc etc etc

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

In these circumstances, its not necessarily a bad thing. It just measn that we have to make sure that we do everything to encourage Eriksson to retire this summer.

If your cap management plan is to encourage a player to retire (which is illegal) then that's pretty terrible management. 

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet that Benning has a plan for dealing with that, which we don't know about. We have players who won't likely be with the team next year (Eriksson), who will free up room for those bonuses.

Well he will have to. Doesn't change my point...You are wrong when you say Ferland being on LTIR won't affect the team or it's cap structure.

Ferland's cap hit (even when he is on LTIR) will count towards the total cap. Since we likely will not pay for any performance bonuses this season, the league will force us to pay for the 2019/20 bonuses next season. So we will need to be about $3-4m under the cap ceiling next season including Ferland's cap hit.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

JB is selling the future for a Hope now. Bad idea. 

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

It’s gonna be madden :(

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Wonder how Brackett feels about not being able to draft in the first two rounds in the last year of his contract. 

3 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Not mad at what Jim gave up at all, but if this turns out to be a pure rental, I will be.

Benning has been impatient all along and the team still managed to do badly enough to collect some high draft picks. And Benning (or Brackett) did a good job with those picks overall.  Not having a first or second round pick this year is a big cost. 

Good call by R3aL

Toffoli is a good player, but I am pretty sure this turns into a rental. For one thing, with EP and Hughes coming up for new contracts soon,, and Marky needing a new contract now, I don't see how the Canucks have cap room to re-sign Toffoli. If they do, I don't see a lot of cap room for Virtanen or Tanev to be re-signed. 

Schaller is not much more than a replacement-level player so he is no loss and this saves some cap space. Being willing to take Schaller was a concession by LA. 

So this trade is basically a short-term rental of Toffoli in return for Madden and a 2nd round pick. Madden is a very good prospect who would have been cost-controlled and in the system for years. The Canucks are trading that away to improve their playoff hopes this year. If the Canucks make the playoffs, okay. At least there is some return. But if they don't, I think Benning should be fired.

As for Brackett, I don't expect him to be back unless he gets a promotion to AGM. I get the sense that there is some friction between him and Benning. And he won't like this deal. Madden was Brackett's guy.  Drafting is the one thing this team has done well and this is Brackett's reward. 

Benning is selling the farm to try to make the playoffs this year -- the trade for Miller (which has worked out well), overpaying Myers as a UFA (which improved the D, but at high cost that will haunt the team later when they have to re-sign Hughes and EP ). With Ericksson, Beagle and Roussel all on the books for a while yet I see cap problems.   

If the Canucks have worked out a deal with Toffoli's agent to re-sign him for a reasonable cap hit, I will take all this back. He would be a great guy to have around for the next few years. 

But, if not, I don't like this deal. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

I like how it is presumed automatically that Tyler will not be staying in Vancouver. Whatever gets your danders up, chum.

I've already stated multiple times why I am using the word rental so I will not continue to repeat. If a grizzled poster such as yourself cannot comprehend why it is often disadvantageous to acquire pending UFAs for prospects/picks.... I really don't know what to tell you!

• Wat 3

Just now, Alflives said:

Look at our cap room.  No way we don’t sign Marky so we can keep Tofoli.  Miller in three years, when his contract is done, will be 30. We will have no cap room to resign him either.  JB already said that he felt going forward he was going to use ELC guys to fill the support player spots as guys age out and or become too costly.  Miller will be either too old or too costly. His spot will be filled by a guy like Podkolzin.  

Lol man you are delusional. You are just spewing nonsense without backing anything up with concrete evidence. I’m pretty sure there is a plan in place for the future cap issues. Miller is not a support player. He is more integral to this team than anybody not named Petey, Marky, or Hughes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

why does it matter to you so much which year bonuses are paid in?

it really is not that important

just bump it year to year

the bigger issue is the unproductive cap issues

luono recapture, spooner payment - those are locked in and cannot be flexed by ltir

people get too upset about accounting issues

This is a terrible line of thinking that will just lead to more problems down the line.

Do you want MORE dead cap space when we want to re-sign Pettersson and Hughes? Because that would be how you get it.

Just because you don't understand the "accounting" side of management doesn't mean it's not important. 

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

If your prophesy comes through and Eriksson retires this summer, we have room Alfy my friend! Here's hoping!

I’ve been really down on our team the last few weeks, haven’t I?  

Time to drink what JB’s selling.  We are winning the battle for the Pacific, and winning the Cup.

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sure do.  The King's weren't picking up an extra year but had zero need to take back cap yet they did.

You sound like the bulk of this forum after the Shinkaruk trade.  Or Forsling trade.  Etc etc etc

and you sound like the posters after all the other crappy rental trades we have made in the past.

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

If your cap management plan is to encourage a player to retire (which is illegal) then that's pretty terrible management. 

There's nothing illegal in informing someone that they will be playing in Utica next season, a LOOOONNNNGGGG way from where his family lives.

If you think that's illegal, you need to be talking to a different lawyer.