The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, Darkstar said:

Nobody was happy with the poor fellow who suggested Madden for Kreider a couple months ago. When things are actually put through, people tend to hop on the bandwagon.

Same can be said for the negative nancy bandwagon here and on hf. 

• Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Man alive. You cannot build a team sorely on draft picks because you turn out like the Edmonton Oilers. You NEED to make moves like this to build a winner. Every NHL team the last few years made trades like this to shore up their roster. The Blues traded for Ryan O’Reilly, the caps traded for TJ Oshie, etc. If the Canucks don’t trade for Miller, we are sitting in a lottery position for a 5th season in a row and potentially another 6th next year too. That’s becoming the Edmonton Oilers. 

And their core players when they made those trades were already mature and ready to compete for s cup.  Our young core guys are still maturing, right?  

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Awesome. Happy we got him. I wanted Toffoli. He was at top of my wishlist. Or Kovy as a cheap rental. Pbbly cost a 3rd.

Toffoli is a very solid player. Good size and won a Cup with Pearson as his linemate. They had Carter as their C in LA it'll be Horvat here.

I think Madden not putting on weight last 2 or 3 years was a bit concerning. Out of our 2nd tier prospects Madden was the most likely to be traded and that just happened. 

Prices are high and it's a sellers market so far this year. We're getting a very good player.

Wish Toffoli would have at least 1 more yr on his contract. He's a rental but I hope JB can re sign him. It'll be expensive. Hope fully JB can get him at around 5.5 mill 4 years. That'll be worth it.

Boeser and Ferland will be back soon. And with Leivo back for playoffs this trade makes us very deep. Depth wins playoffs. 

JB paid the price to add the piece this team needed. It's on the players now. 

Ferland is done bud 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

29 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

People that can’t comprehend that a Center can also play wing is hilarious. The comments of Madden likely not being able to beat Horvat or Gaudette just don’t understand hockey. You guys do understand that JT Miller is a Center right? He hasn’t passed Pettersson or Horvat as a top 6 Center he takes draws but plays on Pettersson’s wing.

No, they just aren't assuming he will, or that the team planned to do so - as not all forwards can or do. Key word in your sentence is can. 

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

His size may not help him in the big leagues tho. Needs to get bigger imo.

Thing is, you never know. He is an excellent player in so many ways. He has the pedigree. His father was a champion and a dog on a bone. Of course he's undersized, but each individual is exactly that. Only time will tell. All the best to him! 

With Bo, Pearson and Toffoli, more than likely, we have a heavy duty line that should dominate. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Millers contract is over when our young core is mature enough to compete for a cup.  He’s a support player.  The trade like the one today are too early in this young core’s development.  JB is clearly giving in to pressure from our owner to make the playoffs, no matter the cost to our long term growth.  

How much more losing can you stomach? Like, I just made a post on how if you don’t make trades like this to support your drafted core players you play a dangerous game and become the Edmonton Oilers or Buffalo Sabres. Like, I just don’t understand how fans can have this wait and see approach with building a hockey team strictly through the draft. It is a dangerous gamble with low odds. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Same can be said for the negative nancy bandwagon here and on hf. 

To be honest, I'm not really on the "negative nancy" bandwagon.

I was a huge fan of the J.T. Miller trade. Trading a 1st round pick for a swiss-army player on a great contract is an excellent move.

Trading a top-end prospect and a high pick for a rental on a "bubble" time is a bad move.

It's more rational than negative.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No one would celebrate Hughes for Kreider give your head a shake. 

I think he was being hyperbolic.

As I said, two months ago no one wanted to celebrate the possibility of trading for Madden for Toffoli straight up. Now everyone is celebrating it.

I'm not taking a side, I'm just pointing out the groupthink both then and now. There's not much original thought anymore. Just whoever was the Canucks then (Madden) and whoever is the Canuck now (Toffoli) has the higher value. As a result it's hard to gauge what people really think.

Edited by Grape
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Is Ferland officially shut down?

Yes, the announcement came out today, he is done for the season but will continue to be evaluated.

I rewatched that fight, I still really think that he wasn't 100% when he came to camp. I think he was still dealing with borderline symptoms from last season and they just finally caught up with him in that fight.

Just now, Darkstar said:

To be honest, I'm not really on the "negative nancy" bandwagon.

I was a huge fan of the J.T. Miller trade. Trading a 1st round pick for a swiss-army player on a great contract is an excellent move.

Trading a top-end prospect and a high pick for a rental on a "bubble" time is a bad move.

It's more rational than negative.

He can be re-signed and we have his rights, may not and probably won't be a rental at all. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

How much more losing can you stomach? Like, I just made a post on how if you don’t make trades like this to support your drafted core players you play a dangerous game and become the Edmonton Oilers or Buffalo Sabres. Like, I just don’t understand how fans can have this wait and see approach with building a hockey team strictly through the draft. It is a dangerous gamble with low odds. 

This

I want this group to win.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

tenor.gif?itemid=15254127

1 minute ago, Grape said:

I think he was being hyperbolic.

As I said, two months ago no one wanted to celebrate the possibility of trading for Madden for Toffoli straight up. Now everyone is celebrating it.

I'm not taking a side, I'm just pointing out the groupthink both then and now. There's not much original thought anymore. Just whoever was the Canucks then (Madden) and whoever is the Canuck (now) has the higher value. As a result it's hard to gauge what people really think.

To say no one would celebrate Madden for Toffoli based on just a reddit post is foolish at best. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pickly said:

We’ve had Petey for two years and Huggy for one.  That’s our elite 2 core guys.  We needed two more young guys to go with them before trading futures for support players.  The trade values are fair.  The players are both good.  The timing though is too soon.  It’s wasting assets needed in two years.