The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

Good trade. Shaller was dead weight (should fit right in on that LA team, fortunately for him), and there wasn't going to be room for Madden; we're too deep at C and as great a season he's having in college, whether he will be able to keep up with in the NHL is still a big question. We clearly need that top 6 help right now. Of course you can't take it to the bank that we'll be able to re-sign Toffoli, but it's not out of the question and worth the "gamble," if you want to call it that. GMJB alludes to the fact that he has a plan to recoup that 1st form the Miller trade — My bet is that he already knows who/what he will be willing to move when the time is right to do that (don't expect it before the deadline, but more likely in the off-season leading up to the draft) and he is confident that he can get that return. After the way the team has come together and performed under his watch (especially over the last year), I have faith in his plans.

In the end, I think he'll be an ideal fit with Bo and Pearson; that line won't be getting pushed around and should be able to provide a little bit of everything.

Just now, Devron44 said:

You miss understand what I meant. I’m talking Boesers overall game still needs to be developed. He’s a great offensive player that has had it rough this year.

right ok thanks, but I still believe Jake  needs more work , he has worked hard for parts of this season,  and I get that fans are really excited for him , I am too,  after all we have waited 5 years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Toffoli is good in all zones.  Different player than Boeser.  How about we see what he can do here first before we judge that?

I thought Boeser was missing urgency in his game this year and hasn’t looked the same since his first year when he was able to dangle and rip 1-timers. Toffoli will bring that energy, similar to Miller, and honestly it will be nice to see - especially on PP1.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Bess was (is) a ppg player before injury.  He’s a core piece.  Jake is improving for sure, but he’s a support player. 

Alf just like a mentioned to @bree2 you need to look at the whole conversation. Boeser is a top offensive forward. Jakes developed a more rounder game. Where Boeser is developing his side of that. I never said anywhere that Jake was a better player 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

right ok thanks, but I still believe Jake  needs more work , he has worked hard for parts of this season,  and I get that fans are really excited for him , I am too,  after all we have waited 5 years.

They both need work. Practically all 22/23rd old do. That’s what pisses me off when people knock Boeser 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I thought Boeser was missing urgency in his game this year and hasn’t looked the same since his first year when he was able to dangle and rip 1-timers. Toffoli will bring that energy, similar to Miller, and honestly it will be nice to see - especially on PP1.

Bess was telling Bo how he gained weight last summer, and came into cap at 206.  I think Bess got too heavy.  He should use this summer to lean out, and get back down to 190.  He will be much quicker and more effective with the pick on his stick 15 pounds lighter.   

10 minutes ago, Gäz said:

Good trade. Shaller was dead weight (should fit right in on that LA team, fortunately for him), and there wasn't going to be room for Madden; we're too deep at C and as great a season he's having in college, whether he will be able to keep up with in the NHL is still a big question. We clearly need that top 6 help right now. Of course you can't take it to the bank that we'll be able to re-sign Toffoli, but it's not out of the question and worth the "gamble," if you want to call it that. GMJB alludes to the fact that he has a plan to recoup that 1st form the Miller trade — My bet is that he already knows who/what he will be willing to move when the time is right to do that (don't expect it before the deadline, but more likely in the off-season leading up to the draft) and he is confident that he can get that return. After the way the team has come together and performed under his watch (especially over the last year), I have faith in his plans.

In the end, I think he'll be an ideal fit with Bo and Pearson; that line won't be getting pushed around and should be able to provide a little bit of everything.

I think it is unlikely that Vancouver can resign T.T. and J.B. knows it. Nevertheless this trade is a necessary evil. 

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bess was (is) a ppg player before injury.  He’s a core piece.  Jake is improving for sure, but he’s a support player. 

Jake, Miller and Bo drive the net better than any others on the team. Jake's superior speed is another skill not matched. He might be support now but is on the edge of being more. Green has feed this kid in dribs and drabs and at some point he will be top 6 permanently.

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Jake, Miller and Bo drive the net better than any others on the team. Jake's superior speed is another skill not matched. He might be support now but is on the edge of being more. Green has feed this kid in dribs and drabs and at some point he will be top 6 permanently.

I love Jake, but think he’s a teddy bear.  If he was mean, he’d be a core piece.  

• Upvote 2

Everyone wants to make the playoffs but don't want to give up pieces in order to get there. As long as our young core of EP40, Hughes, Bo, Gauds, Brock arent going the other way anytime soon, I'm fine with that. The way Gaudette is playing himself into an everyday NHL'er means there would be no spot for Madden for the next few years to come. And that would play a huge part in weather Madden would have signed with us anyways. He may not even sign with the Kings if he plays his 4 years at North Eastern. At the end of the day the rental may only cost us a 2nd rounder. And who knows, Madden may come and sign with us as a UFA when his college days are over.

Just now, SergioMomesso said:

Everyone wants to make the playoffs but don't want to give up pieces in order to get there. As long as our young core of EP40, Hughes, Bo, Gauds, Brock arent going the other way anytime soon, I'm fine with that. The way Gaudette is playing himself into an everyday NHL'er means there would be no spot for Madden for the next few years to come. And that would play a huge part in weather Madden would have signed with us anyways. He may not even sign with the Kings if he plays his 4 years at North Eastern. At the end of the day the rental may only cost us a 2nd rounder. And who knows, Madden may come and sign with us as a UFA when his college days are over.

Totally agree except that Madden will sign in LA.  There is room for him in their top nine now.  I agree Madden likely wouldn’t have come out early for us.  No room here.  

22 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Top 6 ferland leivo? This trade is desperate stupid trade....and won’t change this season....Canucks will make the playoffs reguardless...imo....and this trade will not change any out come.

selling future for a rental it’s just dumb.....just to plz stupid fairweather fans.

keep Jimbo off the phone.....only have Jimbo at the draft...but we got a day and a half of zero picks so Jimbo can sleepin til late Saturday draft day....this was a bad trade.

yep you said top 6 th depth within  right  , well there is 2 examples on top 6 depth who are injured  and the boesser injury compounds it even more,  how do you know if canucks make the playoffs with out a trade ?  the race is so close that a trade can make a difference ,  and when we make it your saying no to playoff,proven goal scorer?   ya keep jimbo off the phone  lol   hello jt miller   , is he a terrible trade too ? 

Fair weather fan im certainly not  that at all ,  JB went out and fixed a problem , like any gm would and should do , top 6 player out for 2 months  just before the playoffs , you fix it.,.  So you rather have JB sit back and go  well we missed the playoffs because I didn't want to give up a 2 nd and 3rd (madden ) because  I thought Sven (Goldy.Boucher) would replace Brock ,, even tho I had 10 million on LTIR  , so all the hard work the players went thru , I will just tossed it all away because you know drafting is what I do best , and drafting is more important than winning ,   is that what you want JB to say ????

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

The Canucks dressing room, so management thinks non of us are good enough ...so they over paid for a rental to take a roster spot.

players “great please trade me outa this organization”....”but haha they over paid me too.....suckers”

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree except that Madden will sign in LA.  There is room for him in their top nine now.  I agree Madden likely wouldn’t have come out early for us.  No room here.  

And if Jimbo can find guys like Gaudette, Madden, Rathbone, McDonough and Costmar in the laer rounds. I'm sure he will find another gem or two this upcoming draft.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HockeyHarry said:

The Canucks dressing room, so management thinks non of us are good enough ...so they over paid for a rental to take a roster spot.

players “great please trade me outa this organization”....”but haha they over paid me.....suckers”

I’m 100% confident this is NOT the issue. It’s been said a few times now, we made this trade cause we need the depth. Sticking Baer or Goldy there would have hurt our chances. They tried and failed, now it’s time for someone new to get a crack.. 

Not sure but benning has a plan he might make a few trades more before deadline and a few at draft 

baertchi, goldobin, eriksson, sutter, tanev, leivo, roussel, stecher, benn, could all be gone by next yr ferland may have to retire as well. 

These players cost about 30 mill in cap space  they will need clearing the deck.

Tryamkin, Virtanen, Gaudette, Toffoli, Markstrom, Macewen, Motte all need resigning ncaa boys need signkng lockwood and rathbone.

The following yr we need to resign petersson and hughes.

I think minor moves made before deadline and major moves made at draft