The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

12 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Fear mongering, just like us potentially losing a lotto pick with the conditional 1st we gave up for Miller.

just saying could happen. Of course I hope it doesn't, cause I'd love for Toffoli to be a Canuck for a few more years. Think he would be a serviceable player for the team. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

just saying could happen. Of course I hope it doesn't, cause I'd love for Toffoli to be a Canuck for a few more years. Think he would be a serviceable player for the team. 

It could also happen that Toffoli takes us to the promised land before he walks back to LA, in which case would be a major win for us. Anything could happen.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

How long is Fantenberg out for? If it isn't long term, then giving some of our youth pressbox time until he returns is fine especially if the possibility of Tryamkin returning is high. I'd add Dillon for a 4th or low level prospect, but that's about it.

I’m not as amped up on Tryamkin as many others are around here. Stepping into the nhl at the tail end of the season in the thick of the playoff race????

He wasn’t even a proven NHL player when he left. I’d take a 4-6 guy like Dillon in a heartbeat and wait till the off season to give Try a look. 
Unfortunately it would take more than a 4th but let’s see what trader Jim has up his sleeve. 
Not sure on Fantenberg btw. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

You've got to think that if the Canucks miss the playoffs now, Green's job is in jeopardy. Maybe not in the offseason, but if they start slow the first 20 games next year I think he's gone. Boudreau would play this team very interestingly...

Gutsy move by JB but you have to respect that he's doing everything in his power to get this team to win. Haven't had a GM like him in a while, probably since Burkie.

For sure a risky move, and I'm sure he knows that his job could very well be in jeopardy. But I respect him even more for putting the organization and the team before himself. I hope Toffoli really take off, re-invigorate the team, and push hard with momentum heading into the playoffs. I'm excited for this team. Hoping for more pieces and reinforcements coming. 

1 minute ago, bad alice french said:

I’m not as amped up on Tryamkin as many others are around here. Stepping into the nhl at the tail end of the season in the thick of the playoff race????

He wasn’t even a proven NHL player when he left. I’d take a 4-6 guy like Dillon in a heartbeat and wait till the off season to give Try a look. 
Unfortunately it would take more than a 4th but let’s see what trader Jim has up his sleeve. 

What would it take for Dillon to come here, you think? 

Watch Tryamkin come in and lay the Law lol

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I'd personally go 

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Roussel

Trade Sutter at deadline and try to recoup that 2nd rounder given up for Toffoli

I’d definitely love that, recouping a pick and clearing cap space but trades are so hard to predict so I avoided that.  

looks like we’re on the same page with the top 3 lines though.  I think Motte has been more effective than Roussel too but I’m hoping as Roussel is further away from his injury and closer to playoffs he’ll start becoming more effective. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

What would it take for Dillon to come here, you think? 

He’s getting priced out of range by the second.

The race is on.

Sohoho pumped about this team.

Edited by Me_

The thing is we are acquiring insurance on defense, not necessarily a surefire top 4 defender. Tryamkin isn't going to walk into a top 4 role, but possibly a bottom 6 role (replacing Stecher) and he had no problem in that spot in his time here. He is playing top pairing minutes in KHL, so doesn't seem unreasonable for him to step up his minutes should we suffer any injuries. He's playing in his own playoff push/drive, so he would be coming in with that mentality as well.

16 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think to start off Toffoli should be on our top line while Boeser's out, then in the last 10 games move him alongside Pearson and Bo for the ultimate playoff line.

JB is building a team full of Miller/Pearson/Bo/Toffoli-type players and for good reason, they're the ones who get it done in the playoffs. You need big bodies but not just Kassians, big guys with skill who can score and hit. Out top-6 is going to be 4/6 these kinds of players and the only other way you get into our top-6 is wity elite Pettersson-level skill.

This recipe has worked time and time again for Cup winners, JB sees that and is copying it.

He's setting up this team to win now and in the future. The Bruins are a good example of a team who, since 2011 even, have never really tanked but constantly replaced older guys with young guys entering their prime, rebuilt on the fly and always stayed on the top of the league. That's what these Miller/Pearson/Toffoli trades do - bring in young guys with a good 3-5 years still while having kids come up through the ranks challenging. When the kids (eg. Virtanen, Gaudette) get good enough they can bump the big guys down to the 3rd line. In the meanwhile we keep rolling a solid top-6, a challenging 3rd line and keep winning.

Seems gutsy by JB to trade a bit of youth and not have an early pick in this draft, but you have to pick your battles and spend when it seems worthwhile, and Miller and Toffoli are worth it.

We can just hope Toffoli sticks, resigns and gets protected in the ED because he'd be a nice staple either with Pettersson or Bo for the next 3 years at least.

Doubt it.

probably will be

Miller-Petey-Virtanen

pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Roussel-Gaudette-Sutter

Eriksson-Beagle—MacEwan

when boeser and Motte back if no other injuries Ericsson adn

MacEwan slide out.

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Bo-Toffoli

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

pretty slick lineup.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

Nice comparison of players

Except our current team can't play defense. Hasn't played a structured defensive game since day one of the season. 

If I recall correctly, Chicago was more of an offensive team than a defensive team in 09. They just could score more than you, well until they met Detroit.

I think Canucks have the firepower to do what Blackhawks did.

As for the following season, well they got the best 2 way winger in the world, securing their cup in 2010. With Eriksson + Baer + Luongo eating up 12+ million dollars in cap... Canucks won't have the cap space to sign a top end UFA. We will see how JB maneuvers around this.

Might not be another JT Miller homerun but Toffoli was a score.. he's owned us before in games in the last few years and seems to be clutch at exactly the right time.. he never seems to score a ton of goals and in mainly in bunches but usually at the right time to help win games, yeah a player who scores a lot of goals looks better on paper but unless it's in a winning cause then all it does is make him cost a lot more, where clutch guys are cheaper but in the end can be worth more..  

Looks like JB is trying to get us past the first round, however our D being suspect now and probably at least 2 yrs from now but the entire team should be starting to get close/r to peaking so it might all gel exactly when we need it.

C'mon Mr Stanley, you know you want to visit vancouver!

Anyway hope he stays..

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1