The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] - Mike Gillis to the Devils

Me_

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

As per Elliot Friedman, apparently Mike Gillis is one of the front runners for the GM job in New Jersey.

NJD

Bärtschi

Goldobin

Juolevi

VAN

1st ‘20 (ARI) (Currently 11OA20)

New Jersey also holds the current 6OA20 and 20OA20.

Elliot never said that, you drunk?

10 minutes ago, lumberman said:

Elliot never said that, you drunk?

You’re right. I heard wrong and our friend peaches5 called it out. 

Gillis is not the front runner, but the first interviewed as he is not contractually bound.

Obviously the trade idea is mine. 

Thanks.

58 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

People can whinge all they want.

Gillis was arguably the most successful GM in our entire organizations history

Gillis is a circumventor. It’s about as bad as being a diver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

You can make that argument and I get why you would. 

But you can also make the argument that he was the luckiest GM we ever had. The Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler, Luongo, Salo, Burrows and Hansen were all there before he came and all of them were in their prime during his tenure. San Jose needed cap space to get Heatley and thus were in a position to trade Ehrhoff far below value. AV was an excellent coach that brought out the best of his players. (If you disagree with me on this point, just look at what he has done in Philly this year compared to what they were last year with a different coach). Sundin, Hamhuis and Malhotra were all free agents at the exact moment he needed them and Hamhuis wanted to come home. But more importantly, the division set up was such that it only had 5 teams making it easier to win division titles and much easier to make the playoffs. To top it all off, all the other 4 teams in our division sucked at the time (for example, in 2010-2011 all the other teams in our division missed the playoffs). This also made it easier to win the division and make the playoffs. Since the division set up has changed the canucks have only made the playoffs once. Although he wasn't 100% lucky in that Luc Bourdon got killed in a off season accident, his good luck far outweighed his bad luck. 

Saying Gillis was the most successful GM we had is like saying Trump is a good president cause the jobs numbers are strong and GDP is growing during his presidency. A more in depth look will show that the steps taken by the previous administration during the financial crises is the reason the US economy is doing so well. The economy was already doing well when Trump came in so he needed to change very little. Obama on the other hand, came in when the economy was in free fall due to a lot of failed policies that weren't from his own making. As a result he had to fix very difficult and complex systemic problems. Although, it took him awhile to do it, he made an economy much stronger than the one before which is still expanding to this day. 

That same logic applies to Mike Gillis (the steps taken by the previous GMs and a bit of luck played a huge role in his success.) Jim Benning didn't have the luck that Gillis had. He came in when most of our core players were at the end of their primes, and Kesler wanted out. Gillis had done awful drafting and left the cupboards bare for Benning. Gillis had left this team filled with NTC making it difficult to start a rebuild. The division set up is much tougher compared to most of Gillis's tenure and the teams in our division are much more competitive now than they were then. 

Consider both of their luck, even though Benning doesn't have the results to show for it (yet) , I believe he is a much better GM compared to Gillis (especially at drafting and trading).

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Agreed, those were some amazing years to be a Canucks fan. 

Sure, I guess he should have fired his scouting team, but I've got nothing but respect for Mike. 

• Cheers 4

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Too bad that idiot is going out of conference and won't be destroying a division rival.  Plus side is that he'd probably be stupid enough to trade us a 1st for Eriksson.

Or draft overagers that weren't even in anybodys draft boards in the 1st 5 rounds because they were "more developed"

2 hours ago, Unknown1995 said:

You can make that argument and I get why you would. 

But you can also make the argument that he was the luckiest GM we ever had. The Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler, Luongo, Salo, Burrows and Hansen were all there before he came and all of them were in their prime during his tenure. San Jose needed cap space to get Heatley and thus were in a position to trade Ehrhoff far below value. AV was an excellent coach that brought out the best of his players. (If you disagree with me on this point, just look at what he has done in Philly this year compared to what they were last year with a different coach). Sundin, Hamhuis and Malhotra were all free agents at the exact moment he needed them and Hamhuis wanted to come home. But more importantly, the division set up was such that it only had 5 teams making it easier to win division titles and much easier to make the playoffs. To top it all off, all the other 4 teams in our division sucked at the time (for example, in 2010-2011 all the other teams in our division missed the playoffs). This also made it easier to win the division and make the playoffs. Since the division set up has changed the canucks have only made the playoffs once. Although he wasn't 100% lucky in that Luc Bourdon got killed in a off season accident, his good luck far outweighed his bad luck. 

Saying Gillis was the most successful GM we had is like saying Trump is a good president cause the jobs numbers are strong and GDP is growing during his presidency. A more in depth look will show that the steps taken by the previous administration during the financial crises is the reason the US economy is doing so well. The economy was already doing well when Trump came in so he needed to change very little. Obama on the other hand, came in when the economy was in free fall due to a lot of failed policies that weren't from his own making. As a result he had to fix very difficult and complex systemic problems. Although, it took him awhile to do it, he made an economy much stronger than the one before which is still expanding to this day. 

That same logic applies to Mike Gillis (the steps taken by the previous GMs and a bit of luck played a huge role in his success.) Jim Benning didn't have the luck that Gillis had. He came in when most of our core players were at the end of their primes, and Kesler wanted out. Gillis had done awful drafting and left the cupboards bare for Benning. Gillis had left this team filled with NTC making it difficult to start a rebuild. The division set up is much tougher compared to most of Gillis's tenure and the teams in our division are much more competitive now than they were then. 

Consider both of their luck, even though Benning doesn't have the results to show for it (yet) , I believe he is a much better GM compared to Gillis (especially at drafting and trading).

Gillis was probably the worst when it comes to the drafting players, yes I'd agree with you there.

But the arguement is, was Gillis the most successful GM, absolutely he was. 2 Presidents trophys, a final, with his players garnering a Jennings, 2 Art Ross, Hart, Lindsay, Selke ( was there a Lady Byng there too?), and assembled probably the All time VERY BEST Canuck team we've seen. As far as luck was concerned, was Quenville considered lucky too because he inherited Keith Seabrook Kane etc.? He may have been terrible at drafting but he did make key moves that developed and pushed this team to become an absolute powerhouse.  Would Kesler be the same without Mats Sundin ever being there? What if Gillis DID get rid of Vigneult?Remember, the SEDINS themselves were UFAs when Gillis came on board and he chose to give them a full court press signing them even though Gaborik had a house here already ( see what I did there hahaha) so he didn't quite inherit them. Theres a lot of would have , should have, could haves, but theres no denying without some of those trades and some UFA signings he made, we probably don't get to see the 2011 run

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I like GMMG.  I would love to see him back in the NHL.  dude's a genius.  

I wouldn't say he's a genius, but I don't see NJ as being a fit. He'd fit in nicely though with a team like say Seattle where they are gonna have some pretty good players from the Expansion draft in in comparison to NJ which they are still trying to fill their roster and stocking up their cupboards. Gillis is probably more fit to augment an existing veteran team than building a young team

6 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Wow... lots of hate towards GMMG.  

The fine line between being worshipped and being a pariah.  If the Canucks somehow won Game 7, people would be clamouring for his status to be built.  

Unfortunately the Canucks didn't win and he miscalculated the make up of the team after 2011... suddenly he's a persona non grata.  

That's true, but how much did Gillis really even contribute to that 2011 team? 

I mean, he did his part in adding the extra pieces to complete the team (Higgins, Lapierre, Hamhuis, Ehrhoff) however, that core was constructed by previous regimes.

It was Nonis and Burke who were responsible for bringing in the likes of Kes, Burr, the Sedins, Bieksa, Edler, Luongo, Schneider, Hansen...etc.

Helk, even the Vigneault was a Nonis hire.

He was pretty much gifted an eventual powerhouse team and made the likes of signing free agents a lot easier while decimating the prospect pool throughout the years. He was awful at player development and it heavily impacted the retool of this team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, filthycanuck said:

I wouldn't say he's a genius, but I don't see NJ as being a fit. He'd fit in nicely though with a team like say Seattle where they are gonna have some pretty good players from the Expansion draft in in comparison to NJ which they are still trying to fill their roster and stocking up their cupboards. Gillis is probably more fit to augment an existing veteran team than building a young team

Seattle has already hired Ron Francis as GM.  

Seattle dived heavily into the candidates' drafting history, trade history and signings.  They've put a lot of emphasis on finding a GM that knows how to evaluate players.  Would think that Gillis' drafting record was a strike against him as well as the trading away of the future to remain competitive.  

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Too bad that idiot is going out of conference and won't be destroying a division rival.  Plus side is that he'd probably be stupid enough to trade us a 1st for Eriksson.

Haha the GM who took us to the finals is being insulted by an idiot like an idiot. 

Respect means nothing to idiots. 

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Would like to see how he does in the league again.

Nobody was complaining about drafting when MG took us to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Yup.  Gillis is a really smart hockey guy.  If he had Judd Bracket to help him with the draft (like JB does) is Gillis still here?  

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Gillis probably should have traded more since he sure as hell didn't know how to draft an NHLer with a 1st rounder.

To be fair he did trade and drafted our captain Bo Horvat. Also Gaunce and Jensen were decent picks but couldn't ok it the package together. 

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Gillis is a really smart hockey guy.  If he had Judd Bracket to help him with the draft (like JB does) is Gillis still here?  

wasn't Judd in the system while Gillis was here?