The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Feb. 29, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

You are missing the point Coastal

Look Mathews goal ……..there should have been someone with him, and forced him into the corner

The 2nd goal...was mostly on Demko

The 3rd goal hit the post and came back out, and the player grabbed the rebound or neutralized the player who scored....why wasn't he taken?

Maybe I am wrong, but my expectations are that you don't let the 3rd highest goal scorer in the league shoot

Period....The best against a back up with 34ish total games played.....

No Coastal you are wrong...there were lots of missed assignments on those goals

Demko made some good saves too......not saying he gets a pass....

The point about the Zamboni Driver was the commitment of the players in front of him...….

Read my other posts...………...self explains responsibilities by others

nope

i saw what trump did in helsinki

i saw what i saw tonight

i was told trump did something else there

and that my perception is mistaken

i know what i saw

same goes for this game

does not matter what else happened on the matthews goal

that is an expected save, and not a goal, for any nhl goalie

on the 3rd goal

demko was hopelessly out of position

that goal was basically slowly curled inside the far post

demko had no hope on it due to incredibly poor positioning

you want to give him a pass?

not sure why

he is the last line of defense

he has to do his job

he didn't

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

:bored: look at the increase in fights this last 2 weeks. Tired narrative is tired. 

Actually there have been many tilts since All Star break. Frenzy on YouTube posts fights each night of NHL hockey and I/we noticed the linesmen for a brief time were letting the players go.

Here are two unlikely combatants from two nights ago...

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

nope

i saw what i saw tonight

i know what i saw

same goes for this game

on the 3rd goal

not sure why

he has to do his job

he didn't

No, I am not giving him a pass

But I can't help you if you don't understand

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I noticed this a lot this and last game.  The D skating backwards allowing the forwards time and space, like they were intimidated or afraid to hit them.

Imagine if Edler just stopped and braced himself.  Tavares/Matthews/Marner etc would shatter against him.  We need our D to actually impose their will and protect their zone.  Not give opposing forwards space

Even if Demko stopped that initial shot or it goes wide it allows the player to get in on the forecheck quite easily.

You get in his way he has to go around you. You always see defenseman always locking up with guys right before reaching a loose puck on the boards, then the board battle ensues. It's a similar sort of thing just without that physical side and freezing the puck on the boards.

Edler and Myers are good at locking guys up and making guys who have speed on them go around, allowing time for everyone else to get back on the back check. It's harder for Hughes because he is small but he has the skating to get in peoples way or even getting to the puck first and he didn't do that there and neither did Tanev. Middle of the ice was too open.

Refs aren't gonna give you an interfering penalty if you're holding your ground.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I’m don’t mind if you disagree. I learn from different opinions. 

No I get your point. If we were a bit ahead in the standings I would want Demko to get more games to keep both goalies fresh and ready to go.

We're in a weird division though.

4 minutes ago, 6string said:

Actually there have been many tilts since All Star break. Frenzy on YouTube posts fights each night of NHL hockey and I/we noticed the linesmen for a brief time were letting the players go.

Here are two unlikely combatants from two nights ago...

Still doesn't prove Green has a turn the cheek mandate with the team. I find it hilarious this coach ghandi crap is spewed on here. Seems like everyone preaching it never watched Green play. 

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

No I get your point. If we were a bit ahead in the standings I would want Demko to get more games to keep both goalies fresh and ready to go.

We're in a weird division though.

Just realized that I said “I’m don’t mind”. Hahahaha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Still doesn't prove Green has a turn the cheek mandate with the team. I find it hilarious this coach ghandi crap is spewed on here. Seems like everyone preaching it never watched Green play. 

Green's coaching personality behind the bench is what we see on the ice. There is little passion like what JT Miller brings every night aside from his strong skills.

Green as a player of that era had a firebrand style/method of coaching, it showed on the ice too. Green was a solid NHL'er.

19 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

nope

i saw what i saw tonight

i know what i saw

same goes for this game

on the 3rd goal

not sure why

he has to do his job

he didn't

as much as I want to be in Demko's corner, I saw the same game that Costal saw.  Sure there could of been better defence to neutralize Matthews, etc, but 2/3, maybe even 3/3 shouldn't of been goals.  He did make a wicked save in the 3rd to keep it close but I watched the same game as coastal.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 6string said:

Green's coaching personality behind the bench is what we see on the ice. There is little passion like what JT Miller brings every night aside from his strong skills.

Green as a player of that era had a firebrand style/method of coaching, it showed on the ice too. Green was a solid NHL'er.

Thats on the players imo. Also disagree it's just Miller. Motte, Beagle, Roussel and Myers have shown that battle too. Tanev last game, Virtanen, Horvat and Sutter have this year too though not consistently. The fact it's happening at all disproves the coach ghandi myth. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Next game I'd like Green to mix things up:

Pearson - Miller - Toffoli

Pettersson - Horvat - Virtanen

Gaudette - Sutter - Eriksson

Motte - Beagle - Roussel

Can you be our new Coach please? ::D

It sucks that we lost back to back winnable games but everybody does need to relax as we’re still in a decent position.  Hopefully we can get a win tomorrow and make this a 500 road trip and once we get home we should be able to put some wins together again. The league is pretty competitive  and just about every team is going to go through these we little lulls especially on cross country road trips. Pittsburgh dropped one to Anaheim and is about to do the same against San Jose. Will get back on track. 

Edited by High and Inside
  • Upvote 1

Just now, High and Inside said:

It sucks that we lost back to back winnable games but everybody does need to relax as we’re still in a decent position.  Hopefully we can get a win tomorrow and make this a 500 road trip and once we get home we should be able to put some wins together again. The league is pretty compete every and just about every team is going to go through these we little lulls especially on cross country road trips. Pittsburgh dropped one to Anaheim and is about to do the same against San Jose. Will get back on track. 

Agree, we have not been a strong road team all season even when we had Markstrom. We must take care of home ice and win atleast 3/4 of those games and hoping for the rest of the road games we win about half of them.

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Thats on the players imo. Also disagree it's just Miller. Motte, Beagle, Roussel and Myers have shown that battle too. Tanev last game, Virtanen, Horvat and Sutter have this year too though not consistently. The fact it's happening at all disproves the coach ghandi myth. 

Motte I agree with, wish he would have better health.

The others are far too inconsistent like the rest of the players from game to game.

That's on the coach imo.