The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sharks re-sign Radim Simek

My favorite part of the tweet is that it lists the same year (2020-2021) four times.

That said, I had no idea he was even on the Sharks. I went "WHO?" especially for a player that got a 4 year extension. Good for him. Low cap hit for a guy who'll be around during the Sharks rebuild.

I wonder if Motte seeks a similar extension like this?

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

If he is seeking an extension similar to this he'd better seek it somewhere else.

Quite possibly.

But the comparable are there between Simek and Motte.

Simek has played 43 games this season and has 8 points (1 G, 7 A).

Motte has played 30 games this season and has 8 points (4 G, 4 A).

Simek is 27. Motte is 24.

Simek has 87 NHL games in total. Motte has 183 NHL games in total.

Both are 4th liners.

I can see Motte making a case for this, especially after a string of 1 year deals. Motte's also a more important part of the 4th line than I think he gets given credit for. His speed would be missed. But if the Canucks don't bite, I definitely can see a team making a similar deal to this.

Just food for thought.

33 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Quite possibly.

Both are 4th liners.

I can see Motte making a case for this, especially after a string of 1 year deals. Motte's also a more important part of the 4th line than I think he gets given credit for. His speed would be missed. But if the Canucks don't bite, I definitely can see a team making a similar deal to this.

Just food for thought.

Simek is a defenceman.

https://youtu.be/iAYl1mdMEOQ

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Monty said:

The Sharks record with Simek in the lineup vs. when he’s injured is surprising. Was a no brainer for them to extend him.

Same with the Canucks and Motte 

When Motte came back from his last injury, we were something ridiculous with him in our lineup...  I'm going to say 16-8-2 and I won't be far off. 

Different positions and all, but Motte has earned himself a 1.5 mil, 3 year contract from us.  He's been our best and most consistent bottom 6 forward over the last two years.  At this point it's no longer a coincidence. 

7 hours ago, Monty said:

The Sharks record with Simek in the lineup vs. when he’s injured is surprising. Was a no brainer for them to extend him.

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

When Motte came back from his last injury, we were something ridiculous with him in our lineup...  I'm going to say 16-8-2 and I won't be far off. 

Different positions and all, but Motte has earned himself a 1.5 mil, 3 year contract from us.  He's been our best and most consistent bottom 6 forward over the last two years.  At this point it's no longer a coincidence. 

Don't know about this year, as their record was pretty bad regardless. But as of Nov. 17, 2019 (date this article was written), it was 35-9-3 with Simek in the lineup, and 21-28-7 without.

This is actually a good favorable to Stecher, which the Canucks could use to suggest he accept his qualifying offer.

8 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Don't know about this year, as their record was pretty bad regardless. But as of Nov. 17, 2019 (date this article was written), it was 35-9-3 with Simek in the lineup, and 21-28-7 without.

This is actually a good favorable to Stecher, which the Canucks could use to suggest he accept his qualifying offer.

We need to upgrade on stetch if we want to win a round in the playoffs..

2 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

We need to upgrade on stetch if we want to win a round in the playoffs..

Stecher is fine as a bottom-pairing guy who can fill in as a top-4 in case of injury. I'd suggest he's actually better than previous bottom-pairing Stanley Cup Winners, like Carl Gunnarsson (averaged 14:57 TOI), Robert Bortuzzo (12:19), and Christian Djoos (10:51).

Upgrades at any position are nice, but there's limited money to go around. The issue with Stecher is only price. If he's willing to re-sign for his current cap hit, then keeping him is likely the right choice - especially with Tanev likely leaving as well. But if Troy looking for a raise, then it might be a case of finding someone who can provide close to the same utility for less money.

14 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'd do 2 million a year for 4 years, no clauses. See if that pushes the limit for Seattle to not look at him for expansion purposes.

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

Stecher is fine as a bottom-pairing guy who can fill in as a top-4 in case of injury. I'd suggest he's actually better than previous bottom-pairing Stanley Cup Winners, like Carl Gunnarsson (averaged 14:57 TOI), Robert Bortuzzo (12:19), and Christian Djoos (10:51).

Upgrades at any position are nice, but there's limited money to go around. The issue with Stecher is only price. If he's willing to re-sign for his current cap hit, then keeping him is likely the right choice - especially with Tanev likely leaving as well. But if Troy looking for a raise, then it might be a case of finding someone who can provide close to the same utility for less money.

All 3 of those guys are chippy defensive d-man who protect the front of the net. I don’t see that from Troy. The effort is there but I don’t think he’s in our long term plans kinda like Hutton. 

4 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Radim the dream. Remember when we drafted "Juraj Simek"? A lot of people thought he would be a an NHL player :lol:

I clicked on this thread JUST to see if anyone remembered or mentioned Juraj Simek haha

Good memory!

21 hours ago, Quantum said:

Quite possibly.

Both are 4th liners.

Just food for thought.

Using this deal what is Jake worth???? I would say at least 3.5 million x 4 yrs?

Edited by wildcam