The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, coryberg said:

Excuse me if I take the word of an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology instead of a random CDC poster.

As for your death rate outside of wuhan? The death rate outside of china is at 3% right now. Pretty much in line with the worldwide number of 3.6%

.04% is way off base

That was a typo.....I meant to type 4%, not .04%.

That being as it may, perspective is everything.  Since you obviously had the intelligence to read the Center for Disease Control information I used to authenticate and support my perspective, the false dichotomy you created in order to discard my opinion as "a random CDC poster" is moot.

As a side note, we may have Canuck fans from the CDC who like to hang out on our forums! :towel:

11 hours ago, coryberg said:

Cancer isn't a wolrdwide contagious airborne illness that is doubling in size every 4 days. But you wouldn't realize that. You can't even tell the difference between the common flu and coronavirus. 

Neither is corona virus airborne.

The virus must get into your system through your eyes, nose or mouth.  It cannot be transmitted by you simply breathing in air with a virus in it.

44 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Neither is corona virus airborne.

The virus must get into your system through your eyes, nose or mouth.  It cannot be transmitted by you simply breathing in air with a virus in it.

Actually there are several studies now suggesting that it might be able to be caught just by someone breathing near you.

They are figuring it out as they go as it is new, and nothing is peer reviewed yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

They just canceled all practices and team meetings for today until they can get the BOG together.

Almost a certainty that they follow the NBA now.

At this point I think it’s a forgone conclusion that the reminder of the season will be cancelled. I’m actually having a hard time conceiving a scenario where playoffs still happen. 

If they stop the season they will not award the team with the better win percentage a playoff spot over a team with more points. It doesn't make any sense to do that. You can have a team with more points same games played and a lot of OT Losses be eliminated in that sense. I saw on Twitter people posting a rule that if the season is cancelled the Stanley Cup is awarded to the team with the most points, Boston. The rule makes no mention of win percentage. So, if the NHL shortens the season and ends it today, before the games are played, then we are more than likely not going to be included in the playoffs. 

Edited by peaches5

5 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

If they stop the season they will not award the team with the better win percentage a playoff spot over a team with more points. It doesn't make any sense to do that. You can have a team with more points same games played and a lot of OT Losses be eliminated in that sense. I saw on Twitter people posting a rule that if the season is cancelled the Stanley Cup is awarded to the team with the most points, Boston. The rule makes no mention of win percentage. So, if the NHL shortens the season and ends it today, before the games are played, then we are more than likely not going to be included in the playoffs. 

Why would we not be included in the playoffs? If the season ended right now we sit in the second wild card spot. So based on points were in already, if you go with win percentage we move up but either way we would be included.

Just now, Spitfire_Spiky said:

Why would we not be included in the playoffs? If the season ended right now we sit in the second wild card spot. So based on points were in already, if you go with win percentage we move up but either way we would be included.

We are not in. We have the same amount of points but less RW, that is the tie breaker. Win percentage is an unfair tiebreaker. I think the only fair thing to do if they shorten the season is to go back to 68 games, the total of games each team has played and base the playoffs of those point totals. 

4 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

We are not in. We have the same amount of points but less RW, that is the tie breaker. Win percentage is an unfair tiebreaker. I think the only fair thing to do if they shorten the season is to go back to 68 games, the total of games each team has played and base the playoffs of those point totals. 

We wouldn't we be in? We're sitting in the 8th seed having played 69 games. We're ahead of Nashville who's also played 69 games (78 points) and Minnesota who's played 69 games (77 points) by virtue of having one more win than them. 

Edited by Coconuts

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

What a wacky tiebreaker. Makes sense to me that the team having more wins would get in. We've got 36 to their 35.

I wonder if Bettman can find a way to both keep us out of the playoffs, and we lose our 1st this year?

NHL told all teams not to conduct team meetings or morning skates and media availability. 

Told to put everything on hold untill further notice. 

Looks like they're about to suspend the season later today.

2nd NBA player has tested positive. Toronto Raptors are in quarantine.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if Bettman can find a way to both keep us out of the playoffs, and we lose our 1st this year?

Wouldn't surprise me if they just cut the bottom eight and head straight to the semi's. 

Edited by Coconuts

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they just cut the bottom eight and head straight to the semi's. 

I dunno, I think they'd want all the tv revenue they could get. 

Whats going on with the AHL? I guess they would just go in lock step with the NHL.