The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Season Suspended

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm surprised that New York, Chicago, and other large metropolitan areas haven't already enacted similar bans on large gatherings.

New York has zoned off a large containment area and deployed national guard in the area. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

Please stop spreading the fear mongering. It will be OK. 

Agreed!

If the official numbers are to be believed, there's been 4,600 deaths from the coronavirus covind-19 strain since it started in mid-late February. However, for over a generation now, there are approximately 42,000 deaths world-wide from the common flu, yet they haven't closed stadiums, cancelled playoffs, restricted travel etc.. Way too much fearmongering, even to the point of psychological abuse of the masses by the "official" voices. One has to ask...why?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6815659/

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Unless its edibles or cannabis oil, you're probably doing more damage to your lungs, than Coronavirus. Probably double because if your lungs are not healthy it will be harder to clear the fluid from your lungs if you did get sick. 

Thanks for the info. But I don’t like the stone I get off of edibles and oils. When I smoke it, I feel way more in control of my body but I don’t like what it’s doing to my lungs. I need someone to invent a THC patch I can where full time that doesn’t give me too much of a body stone. 

• Cheers 1

The compassion here is amazing.

Yes, this is serious.  To many people only hear that the young and healthy don't get that sick and so the young and healthy are going about their business not worrying about the frail and elderly that they are killing.

Still 20% of people are getting significantly sick.  Many are recovering but are getting significant scarring in the lungs.

The Italian health care system is overwhelmed with this illness and reading the writings of some of their doctors is just harrowing as a physician.  

This is not the flu it is much worse.   It is also not Ebola though (though it is harder to contain).

The numbers in North America are very misleading, it is a selection bias (or an anti-selection bias).  They are lacking in capacity and have to date been lacking in the desire to test because it is being looked at as a PR problem for the president, not a serious global pandemic.

Just south of BC this has been circulating for two months.  To think that there isn't a significant amount that has crossed that border is foolish.

This should be taken seriously but does not need to be panicked about.  These are appropriate precautions, suspending large gatherings and self isolating when appropriate.  

• Huggy Bear 1

17 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

The compassion here is amazing.

Yes, this is serious.  To many people only hear that the young and healthy don't get that sick and so the young and healthy are going about their business not worrying about the frail and elderly that they are killing.

Still 20% of people are getting significantly sick.  Many are recovering but are getting significant scarring in the lungs.

The Italian health care system is overwhelmed with this illness and reading the writings of some of their doctors is just harrowing as a physician.  

This is not the flu it is much worse.   It is also not Ebola though (though it is harder to contain).

The numbers in North America are very misleading, it is a selection bias (or an anti-selection bias).  They are lacking in capacity and have to date been lacking in the desire to test because it is being looked at as a PR problem for the president, not a serious global pandemic.

Just south of BC this has been circulating for two months.  To think that there isn't a significant amount that has crossed that border is foolish.

This should be taken seriously but does not need to be panicked about.  These are appropriate precautions, suspending large gatherings and self isolating when appropriate.  

I think we all know its serious. Using a little humour to help deal with it isn't a bad thing. 

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

26 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Agreed!

If the official numbers are to be believed, there's been 4,600 deaths from the coronavirus covind-19 strain since it started in mid-late February. However, for over a generation now, there are approximately 42,000 deaths world-wide from the common flu, yet they haven't closed stadiums, cancelled playoffs, restricted travel etc.. Way too much fearmongering, even to the point of psychological abuse of the masses by the "official" voices. One has to ask...why?

This isn't fear mongering, it needs to be respected. Do we need to be panic buying toilet paper? No. But we do need to be cognizant of our personal hygiene.

Covid 19 is more transmissible, has a higher mortality rate, has mutated, and probably most importantly doesn't have a vaccine. The virus can stay live on a surface for 4 hours, can stay airborne for 30 minutes, and is infection in the absence of symptoms. Italy, a country of 60 million, has locked down and has had it's hospitals over run to the point of doctors deciding who dies and who gets treatment. The standard influenza virus doesn't cause this.  Additionally, we don't know if there are any long term effects after contracting the virus, there could be long term respiratory impacts that we are not aware of.

There is a reason that the professionals have and continue to caution that this virus needs to be taken seriously.

Bottom line: This likely gets worse before it gets better. it is better to be prepared and over react than under react and be ill prepared.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Agreed!

Because we know how the flu works and it's generally not serious. If people refuse to get vaccinated and spread still happens, we even have medication for it.

COVID19 is still largely a mystery. No vaccine. Supportive treatment only. Being over cautious to keep it as contained as we can is all we can do.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

You might want to educate yourself on this virus. YouTube joe rogan podcast 1439 with Michael Osterholm. 

washing your hands and sticking your head in the sand isnt going to work on this airborne virus.

Edited by coryberg
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

This isn't fear mongering, it needs to be respected. Do we need to be panic buying toilet paper? No. But we do need to be cognizant of our personal hygiene.

Covid 19 is more transmissible, has a higher mortality rate, has mutated, and probably most importantly doesn't have a vaccine. The virus can stay live on a surface for 4 hours, can stay airborne for 30 minutes, and is infection in the absence of symptoms. Italy, a country of 60 million, has locked down and has had it's hospitals over run to the point of doctors deciding who dies and who gets treatment. The standard influenza virus doesn't cause this.  Additionally, we don't know if there are any long term effects after contracting the virus, there could be long term respiratory impacts that we are not aware of.

There is a reason that the professionals have and continue to caution that this virus needs to be taken seriously.

Bottom line: This likely gets worse before it gets better. it is better to be prepared and over react than under react and be ill prepared.

That should be the case regardless and at all times. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

At my school (University of Michigan), classes have been shut down for the rest of the year (~45K students). Everything is shifting online.

A few weeks ago, it was ignorant to believe that the virus was anything but fear mongering and mass hysteria. Now it's ignorant to believe that this we're not in a crisis right now.

Edited by Grape
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, coryberg said:

You might want to educate yourself on this virus. YouTube joe rogan podcast 1439 with Michael Osterholm. 

washing your hands and sticking your head in the sand isnt going to work on this airborne virus.

How's that Ebola panic going this days? Or Sars? Oh, wait.

I'll meet you at the underground bunker in an hour!

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

If they put a cap on the season and then took 2-3 weeks off and then started the playoffs would be wild. Imagine if they announced that once each team has played their 72nd, 73rd, 74th, 75th (whatever # they decide on) game then thats the standings for the playoffs. Would make the next 10 days or so quite a ride.

Capture.JPG

• Thanks 1

As far as I am concerned helping people to stay alive surpasses any lost moneys from different jobs that are effected,AIRLINES CRUISE SHIPS BILLIONAIRE OWNERS OF SPORTS TEAMS.STOCK MARKET BANKERS.

I know it is a total inconvenience and all but GLOBAL PANDEMICS can do that sort of thing.

STAY HEALTHY AND SAFE EVERYONE.

• Cheers 1