The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An abundance of options: Canucks to have fully-healthy roster for play-in series versus Minnesota

Rate this topic

dank.sinatra

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Miller Petey Toffoli

Pearson Bo Boeser

Ferland Sutter Jake

Rouse Beagle Motte

Gaudette

Mac

more like 

miller petey toffoli

pearson bo boeser 

roussel gaudette jake

ferland beagle sutter 

mac   gets in physical games 

motte 

leivo if hes healthy 

our forward depth is crazy 

16 forwards with eriksson  fighting for 12 spots  change happens next yr  who do you think stays on team ? who goes ?

in 21  i see   eriksson -one of  boughtout  retired waived

sutter roussel pearson traded for a dman or picks 

resigned motte mac virt toffoli gaudette

tanev stechers rights traded for picks 

tryamkin signed 

miller petey toffoli

hoglander horvat boeser

macewen gaudette virtanen

ferland beagle motte

hughes myers 

edler tryamkin

juolevi rafferty

benn brisebois 

youth is ready time to  let some of the vets go 

• Cheers 2

Any line that'd have Virtanen and Guad together would be a weakness other teams would always try to exploit defensively in a series.

Our team relies on match ups to win a lot. Hence why the home record is so much better.

At home play Guad/Virtanen together, when we're away split them a part and have a more spread out top 9. This messes with their match up plans when we play them away. 

Home

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Roussel-Gaud-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

Mac

Away

Miller-Petey-Virtanen

Roussel-Horvat-Toffoli

Pearson-Gaud-Boeser

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

Mac

If Leivo/Ferland healthy substitute Roussel with them.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Any line that'd have Virtanen and Guad together would be a weakness other teams would always try to exploit defensively in a series.

Our team relies on match ups to win a lot. Hence why the home record is so much better.

At home play Guad/Virtanen together, when we're away split them a part and have a more spread out top 9. This messes with their match up plans when we play them away. 

Home

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Roussel-Gaud-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

Mac

Away

Miller-Petey-Virtanen

Roussel-Horvat-Toffoli

Pearson-Gaud-Boeser

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

Mac

If Leivo/Ferland healthy substitute Roussel with them.

Gaudette, yes.  Jake is a solid two way fwd.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

ya your dreaming if sutter plays over  gaudette   hes got twice the amount of points  and clearly sutters groin   has slowed his game  possibly on 4th line if that 

Not surprised that's your line of thinking.  Sutter is a significantly better player that AG at this point in time and you're not sitting a guy like Sutter in the press box in the playoffs.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

Gaudette, yes.  Jake is a solid two way fwd.

If he was he'd be used as such.

No PK time or defensive responsibility say otherwise. He hasn't had any experience with that whatsoever so he wasn't put in a place to improve as much as he needs to.

You can argue that he's better than Gaud but he's still in the bottom echelon defensive prowess on the team and there's a lot of room for improvement. He definitely isn't capable of carrying anyone defensively and IMO sticking him with Gaud is counterproductive in helping both of them improve defensively since it restricts 5v5 play to having to be sheltered.

I would have liked Virtanen with Horvat most of this year instead of Eriksson. He would be a better player now for it.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If he was he'd be used as such.

No PK time or defensive responsibility say otherwise. He hasn't had any experience with that whatsoever so he wasn't put in a place to improve as much as he needs to.

You can argue that he's better than Gaud but he's still in the bottom echelon defensive prowess on the team and there's a lot of room for improvement. He definitely isn't capable of carrying anyone defensively and IMO sticking him with Gaud is counterproductive in helping both of them improve defensively since it restricts 5v5 play to having to be sheltered.

I would have liked Virtanen with Horvat most of this year instead of Eriksson. He would be a better player now for it.

Green used him on pk in Utica, I'm surprised he doesn't in Van, it's a great spot for his skill set.  He does, however, put him out quite often late in games to protect the lead.  There's nothing wrong with Jake's defensive game, imo.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Green used him on pk in Utica, I'm surprised he doesn't in Van, it's a great spot for his skill set.  He does, however, put him out quite often late in games to protect the lead.  There's nothing wrong with Jake's defensive game, imo.

IMO it was a mistake to not give Virtanen and Gaud some PK experience this year. Beagle and Sutter are not gonna be here forever. Also Green used the 4th and 2nd line more than they did Gaudette or Virtanen late, especially Bo's(Empty net) line.

There's nothing great about Virtanen's defensive game. He hasn't been put into an environment in order to improve like he should of been with Horvat prior to Toffoli. Like Gaud he's been almost strictly a secondary scorer. He's better than Gaud but not nearly good enough to carry anyone.

When together that line needs to be sheltered. They're on the bottom echelon of defensive prowess on the team when it comes to forwards. There's no other way to put it and when it comes to playoff time these things get exploited hence why they need to be split apart when we are away.

Not against them as players and I want them to improve enough so that they can be together without the need to be sheltered but they need to be put in a position to do so separately.

• Cheers 2

Miller - Pettersson - Toffoli

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Ferland - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

Sutter, MacEwan, Leivo (if healthy)

would be my guess for forward group. Sutter's passing game is meh so Gaudette makes a more clear choice unless they want beags at 3C and have Gaudette with Sutter and Roussel. Are we missing any forwards? Its been so long i feel I may be missing someone. (I forgot Motte who feel deserves to be ahead of Sutter imo - Sutter is pretty clutch tho so that may be a bad idea)

Edited by Rush17

Lotto Line

Pearson - Bo - Toffi

Ferland - Gaudette - Sutter (Gaud still needs to be sheltered in a lot of situations, Sutter is the guy to do it, but swap him and JV depending on the situation)

Motte - Beagle - Virtanen (Virtanen moves up to 3rd line depending on match up/faceoff location)

Rooster, Leivo, Big Mac, The $6m Man

• Cheers 1

Several good line ups being proposed. Still think lots depends on, how the players show up in the little practice time they get prior to play offs start. 
Regardless of various scenarios, it’s crazy the forward depth Green has at his disposal... provided they are able to pick up speed from the go. A little of everything bar a proper heavyweight. Most of the boys are steely though and won’t back down.

Can just imagine the CDC explode if LE is in the line up for the first game :P (won’t happen) 

Have a good feeling about this.
Bring it on...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This is the deepest forward group we've ever had.  

Miller - Petterson - Toffoli

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

Gaudette - Sutter - Boeser

Roussel - Beagle - Mackewan

Leivo should be playing but Mackewans played so well its hard to take him out

Id rather keep Gaudette on wing in playoffs for now

18 hours ago, DS4quality said:

Ferland has a long way back to playing so my guess is he sits to start. He's only played a handful of games and probably needs a lot more conditioning than some of the others. But if they advance or we need some toughness inserted we'll see him against Minny. 

:picard: doubt he ever plays again. When you can reagrevate a concussion just from skating, it’s not a good sign.

Miller Petey Boeser

Pearson Bo Toffoli

Mac Sutter Jake

Rouse Beagle Motte

Gaudette replaces Sutter if nothing is happening for this line

LE

Black Aces (if Ferland and Leivo are on IR)

Baer

Boucher

Bailey

Lind

Edler Stech

Hughes Tanev

Benn Myers

Black Aces

Fantenberg

Rafferty

Brisebois

Joulevi

Edited by Pete M

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Several good line ups being proposed. Still think lots depends on, how the players show up in the little practice time they get prior to play offs start. 
Regardless of various scenarios, it’s crazy the forward depth Green has at his disposal... provided they are able to pick up speed from the go. A little of everything bar a proper heavyweight. Most of the boys are steely though and won’t back down.

Can just imagine the CDC explode if LE is in the line up for the first game :P (won’t happen) 

Have a good feeling about this.
Bring it on...

What a difference three years has made...JB has stuffed this team to the gills with capable middle/bottom six players the past couple of years - and brought in Myers (yes I know he has his critics - but a massive upgrade on Gudbranson and Del Zotto) to play heavy minutes and surprise surprise both Edler and Tanev for once weren’t felled with significant injuries.   I for one am sure excited with the prospect of hockey returning.     

On the Sutter/Gaudette debate: Don’t see any reason BOTH shouldn’t play - even on the same line.   Good points were made about match ups and how much better our home record is as a result.  Two things come to mind on this.  One the coaching staff has worked very hard in utilizing our strengths and minimizing liabilities - for the fire Green crew not too sure how that can be spun in a negative way (and have brought this up before - the home crowd isn’t going to add that many wins to the column) but good preparation has paid its dividends. 

If Sutter is healthy it would be silly to sit him out in favour of Gaudette at center.  He wins way more draws and thinks defense first.   That said if offense becomes and issue - especially secondary scoring sitting AG is also not a great idea.  We could play both (AG on the wing)  or just one depending on the situation.   Like JV he gives whatever line he’s on some teeth (AG).  To me the biggest decision is what to do with LE.   He’s an experienced vet that plays a smart two-way game (albeit with little hard contact).   Adding TT and with BB healthy now he’s getting bumped down the to fourth line at least for sure.   For two reasons - one that’s his game anyways (defense careful hockey) and because JV is at this point a wild card waiting to be used - a lot has been written about how the playoffs could be his chance to shine and with a contract looming the size of the raise could depend on his performance (motivation factor is pretty huge).   In the past a lot of folks have parlayed a massive pay bump in the exact same position and I’m sure his agent had pointed that out.  A clutch goal here or there is much more likely from him then LE (unless scoring into an empty net or getting the primary assist so Pearson get the glory counts ha ha).  That said if Motte or Leivo is the other R side option not sure LE should sit either.   How many career points does he have again?  And his future in hockey could also depend on his performance...might be his last few to 25 ish games ever ...that would sure motivate you’d think at least. 

Wonder where “prime” Megna from WD’s era would fit in our current depth chart?  Ha ha.  Also wonder how Ferland is...his heroics against us is another example of a launch pad for an otherwise pretty ok but unspectacular career.   He’s also a wild card.  He doesn’t need to drop the gloves - just pinball guys around and take them off their game - which worked wonders for CAL last time we made the show. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

What a difference three years has made...JB has stuffed this team to the gills with capable middle/bottom six players the past couple of years - and brought in Myers (yes I know he has his critics - but a massive upgrade on Gudbranson and Del Zotto) to play heavy minutes and surprise surprise both Edler and Tanev for once weren’t felled with significant injuries.   I for one am sure excited with the prospect of hockey returning.     

On the Sutter/Gaudette debate: Don’t see any reason BOTH shouldn’t play - even on the same line.   Good points were made about match ups and how much better our home record is as a result.  Two things come to mind on this.  One the coaching staff has worked very hard in utilizing our strengths and minimizing liabilities - for the fire Green crew not too sure how that can be spun in a negative way (and have brought this up before - the home crowd isn’t going to add that many wins to the column) but good preparation has paid its dividends. 

If Sutter is healthy it would be silly to sit him out in favour of Gaudette at center.  He wins way more draws and thinks defense first.   That said if offense becomes and issue - especially secondary scoring sitting AG is also not a great idea.  We could play both (AG on the wing)  or just one depending on the situation.   Like JV he gives whatever line he’s on some teeth (AG).  To me the biggest decision is what to do with LE.   He’s an experienced vet that plays a smart two-way game (albeit with little hard contact).   Adding TT and with BB healthy now he’s getting bumped down the to fourth line at least for sure.   For two reasons - one that’s his game anyways (defense careful hockey) and because JV is at this point a wild card waiting to be used - a lot has been written about how the playoffs could be his chance to shine and with a contract looming the size of the raise could depend on his performance (motivation factor is pretty huge).   In the past a lot of folks have parlayed a massive pay bump in the exact same position and I’m sure his agent had pointed that out.  A clutch goal here or there is much more likely from him then LE (unless scoring into an empty net or getting the primary assist so Pearson get the glory counts ha ha).  That said if Motte or Leivo is the other R side option not sure LE should sit either.   How many career points does he have again?  And his future in hockey could also depend on his performance...might be his last few to 25 ish games ever ...that would sure motivate you’d think at least. 

Wonder where “prime” Megna from WD’s era would fit in our current depth chart?  Ha ha.  Also wonder how Ferland is...his heroics against us is another example of a launch pad for an otherwise pretty ok but unspectacular career.   He’s also a wild card.  He doesn’t need to drop the gloves - just pinball guys around and take them off their game - which worked wonders for CAL last time we made the show. 

Cheers Ibatch,

Yes the transformation is nothing short of amazing. Still don’t get how some folks are unhappy with the way he has turned this team around. Megna would be so far down the list, he’d be selling tickets in the street. 
I do understand people, who wanted us to spend less on players so we could potentially draft higher, but I for one am very satisfied. Especially when we see all the options Green has. 
Agree 100% that it’s not for no reason both Tanev and Eddie the Eagle haven’t gone down with injuries. 

Yes in my ideal line up Gaudette is on a line with Sutter and JV (who as you rightly said, really has something to play for). 

Sutter will anchor the 3rd line for sure. Experience and FO will be invaluable, and unless it goes horribly wrong, I don’t expect any changes to the centre on the 3rd or 4th line. 

However I can easily see Green go with safety first and put Ferland in for the first game instead of Gaudette. He does also add an element, provided he is fully ok, only few others in the squad can match. If the offense suffers, I fully expect Gaudette to drafted in for either Ferland or Roussel. 

Anyway hockey is getting closer and I’m getting excited. 
As for LE... again it depends on how we fare defensively. As much as I can wait to see the back of him, he is not a liability defensively, so I would not be shocked, if Green draws him in at some stage... he’s done it often enough...

Bring it on :towel:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Expect the regular season slight of hand magic trick of LTIR musical chairs to be axed into the ground in the next CBA.

It's good for icing a way above cap playoff team, but it's (legal) cap circumvention, 100%.

Lots of teams have done it in this recent CBA, and I doubt there will be retroactive penalties applied to it, but with that being said nothing surprises me any more.

• Cheers 1

Miller Petersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Roussel Gaudette Virtanen

Mackewen Beagle Motte

Eriksson

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Stecher

Fantenburg Juolevi

Markstrom

Demko