The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

They're talking about the Jake thing right now on sports radio.

Making a good point....that, over time, the narrative sticks if you give a bunch of things to talk about.  That it does generate a bit of momentum and even the team "notices" as it loops them in too.  Said "do you think Bo would have yelled if this was someone else?.....Zack MacEwen?

I hate to contribute to blowing up the Jake stuff...but I think he's responsible for that and it's up to him to now make us "forget".

Well I know Jake personally and know many others who do as well, and most of them (and myself included) don't really have too many positive things to say about him. I for one am one of those who would be completely okay if we moved on from him. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bell said:

I heard an interview with JT Miller, I believe it was one of the zoom ones and he specifically mentioned how impressed he was with Jake's game and his improvement over the course of the year.  Jake is 23, had the fifth most goals on the team this year, even more than Boeser.  He has elite speed and is one of the only guy's who is a threat to hit on the forecheck.  He has a great shot and is the kind of player needed in a playoff run.  Don't write the local kid off quite yet folks.

I’m actually extra interested in how this play-in — and (hopefully) playoffs — go for Jake. He’s being forced into a literal bubble, where the distractions of nightlife and his posse will be out of his reach. Having nothing but hockey to focus on might take him to a new level.

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I’m actually extra interested in how this play-in — and (hopefully) playoffs — go for Jake. He’s being forced into a literal bubble, where the distractions of nightlife and his posse will be out of his reach. Having nothing but hockey to focus on might take him to a new level.

So if he excels here, then he's going to have to stay in that bubble for the rest of his career.

bart simpson episode 20 GIF

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Bell said:

I heard an interview with JT Miller, I believe it was one of the zoom ones and he specifically mentioned how impressed he was with Jake's game and his improvement over the course of the year.  Jake is 23, had the fifth most goals on the team this year, even more than Boeser.  He has elite speed and is one of the only guy's who is a threat to hit on the forecheck.  He has a great shot and is the kind of player needed in a playoff run.  Don't write the local kid off quite yet folks.

Great post and points made here.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that Jake really settles in and all the things you've highlighted become the focus.  There is so much there to like about him.....

• Cheers 3

Phase 3 is the start of training camp which was Monday.  Sweeney did say some international players had to complete quarantine requirements and could be late joining phase 3.  Sounds like they went skating while completing quarantine requirements.  They practiced separately from the main group on Wednesday but have been kept out since.  Pastrnak's agent said they are in quarantine now because they had contact with someone that tested positive.

Edited by mll

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Phase 3 is the start of training camp which was Monday.  Sweeney did say some international players had to complete quarantine requirements and could be late joining phase 3.  Sounds like they went skating while completing quarantine requirements.  They practiced separately from the main group on Wednesday but have been kept out since.  Pastrnak's agent said they are in quarantine now because they had contact with someone that had Covid.

Yeah I read Boston has quite a few “unfit to play” members. It will be interesting because is there not another quarantine when they all go to Canada for the 2 hub cities?

Just now, grandmaster said:

Yeah I read Boston has quite a few “unfit to play” members. It will be interesting because is there not another quarantine when they all go to Canada for the 2 hub cities?

There is no quarantine before entering the hubs.  That's why it's so important that players and anyone joining the bubble follow protocol of phase 3 and don't bring that virus inside the hub.  A player could decide to break protocol and see friends his last night of phase 3, catch it and enter the bubble positive.

The Penguins' 9 are isolating because they had a dinner party and it turned out the wife of a player was positive.  

It's now 7 days before entering the bubble of phase 4.  From the protocol:  Players have to "stay at home as much as possible and avoid unnecessary interactions with non-family members.  It is strongly recommended that family members limit their exposure to non-family members during this pre- travel 7-day period to the extent possible, and to stay home as much as possible to reduce potential exposure of Club individuals."  

Boston finds ways to skirt around rules that are in place for others, not them.  Will be interesting to see how they Brad Marchand their way through this.

With that, wish any players on any team who tests positive all the best...human beings first, hockey rivals second.  Don't want anyone getting seriously sick and as much as I hate the Bruins, that includes them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

OMG, that hit hard.  My heart is with Stech...guy's a warrior and it's not hard to see that his Dad instilled a lot of that in him.  What a nice gift to find that after he'd passed...I heard (for the first time) a voicemail from my Mom after she'd died.  It was so unexpected...floored me.  I treasure it.

Didn't know about Zack's dad....life is so fleeting and we should never take a moment with loved ones for granted.  I learned that early on, when I had a "to do" list and "visit Grandma" was on there...about 6th.  She passed away before I worked my way down to her on the list.  "Never again".

Thanks for sharing that, VC.  I feel especially protective/supportive of Stech....being a Richmond boy and all (we went to school with his Mom, although I don't really remember her).   I hope he has a great year...his work ethic certainly will help with that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hey man..it's lunch time, & I'm hungry.

Seriously, hope it works out for Jake in Van. Be cool if he settled in as an affordable, 50-55 pt pwf. We need that depth.

well, that was his pace for this season, so.........

• Cheers 2