The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

26 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't know that I'd equate "fast" primarily with or focused on "rush goals" (which alludes as much to execution as speed?).

If two guys are racing for a puck, we have quite a few who can get there first.  So there's fast in that regard.  To gain possession of the puck, not just break in/out as a unit.  Also quickness in relation to agility and puck handling....that matters too.  Being able to leave a defender behind.

How they track/gauge "fast" is subjective.  I go to games and, believe me, they're "fast".

It's at the overall team level and not at the individual level.  It was their biggest question mark for the Canucks - do they have enough team speed.

There seems to be more and more talk that it's becoming a rush league.  Tracking shows that some 50% of goals are scored within 5 seconds of gaining the o-zone.  The longer teams are cycling the puck the less likely they are to score.  Opponents have the time to set up defensively with all 5 players involved which makes it harder to score.  Canucks lead the league in cycle goals.   Trotz says he couldn't care less if teams spend considerable time in NYI's own end as they won't give them much.  

47 minutes ago, mll said:

It's at the overall team level and not at the individual level.  It was their biggest question mark for the Canucks - do they have enough team speed.

There seems to be more and more talk that it's becoming a rush league.  Tracking shows that some 50% of goals are scored within 5 seconds of gaining the o-zone.  The longer teams are cycling the puck the less likely they are to score.  Opponents have the time to set up defensively with all 5 players involved which makes it harder to score.  Canucks lead the league in cycle goals.   Trotz says he couldn't care less if teams spend considerable time in NYI's own end as they won't give them much.  

I still don't think it's a good measure of a fast team to determine via goals scored off the rush.  Goaltenders are a factor in that.

I'm talking flat out watch them skate speed.  And some of our guys can skate very fast and are also very agile.  Which matters too.  Petey can still make a play that keeps us pressing forward AS he's falling down.  

I still don't like the statement.

What about speed in "retrieving the puck"?  That matters in obtaining possession.

What if Quinn's racing with another guy to get the puck...you tell me he's not fast?  

It should be individual level because individuals make up a team as a whole.  Sure, how they fire on all cylinders together is something but teams play different systems/games.  

So just because a team doesn't always breakout on a rush and may use, say, a stretch pass or dump the puck in and chase in order to gain the zone doesn't mean they're not fast.  Just they don't utilize their speed as a unit in that way.  If that makes any sense (it does to me).

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It’s funny with juolevi. Like is he even a top 5 prospect anymore? podkolzin, Hoglander, rathbone, Lockwood, rafferty? 

At this point he’s bonus if he ever becomes a regular nhl’er. Pretty sure he’s been written off of everyone’s roster projections going forward. 

If juolevi can kill penalties he has a chance at making the team next year but if he doesn’t their really isn’t a spot for him cause the PP belongs to hughes and Myers or edler 

33 minutes ago, billabong said:

It’s funny with juolevi. Like is he even a top 5 prospect anymore? podkolzin, Hoglander, rathbone, Lockwood, rafferty? 

At this point he’s bonus if he ever becomes a regular nhl’er. Pretty sure he’s been written off of everyone’s roster projections going forward. 

If juolevi can kill penalties he has a chance at making the team next year but if he doesn’t their really isn’t a spot for him cause the PP belongs to hughes and Myers or edler 

If that's the top 5 list, then yes he's at least in the top 3 amongst that group.

He was actually utilized often on the PK last season in Utica.

I think he's being groomed to be Edler's replacement at some point hopefully. An LD of Hughes-Juolevi-Rathbone looks pretty darn good (assuming they all pan out).

• Cheers 4

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I noticed that he had Virtanen, Sutter , and Eriksson as extras but Juolevi and Chatfield were included in the main group. So I'm wondering if the "extras" practice routine was different than the other players or if they practiced as a line?

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Ditto. Still has all the tools that got him drafted at 5.

The only reason he's delayed is injuries. So long as he can stay healthy and get some play/development time in, all he'll be is a bit late to the party.

Really just a bit unlucky with the injuries.  Excited to see what he can bring 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I still don't think it's a good measure of a fast team to determine via goals scored off the rush.  Goaltenders are a factor in that.

I'm talking flat out watch them skate speed.  And some of our guys can skate very fast and are also very agile.  Which matters too.  Petey can still make a play that keeps us pressing forward AS he's falling down.  

What about speed in "retrieving the puck"?  That matters in obtaining possession.

What if Quinn's racing with another guy to get the puck...you tell me he's not fast?  

It should be individual level because individuals make up a team as a whole.  Sure, how they fire on all cylinders together is something but teams play different systems/games.  

So just because a team doesn't always breakout on a rush and may use, say, a stretch pass or dump the puck in and chase in order to gain the zone doesn't mean they're not fast.  Just they don't utilize their speed as a unit in that way.  If that makes any sense (it does to me).

They look at chances too.  Canucks generated the least rush chances than any other team in the league but still scored more than Detroit.  Same as rush goals against - allowed the 2nd most chances (30th) but were 29th in rush goals allowed.  

It's data and what they track suggest that Vancouver is not a team that plays with that much pace.  Sportlogiq is a video tracking software and can track anything - zone entries with the puck, exits, dump-ins, puck battles, puck possession time etc. They can track the time between gaining possession and creating a scoring chance. 

This season I have heard opponents talk of how the Canucks are a fast team so it's not like they can't skate fast but their tracking suggest that they don't play with the pace of a team like Colorado or Vegas.

In their segment on Vancouver they say the Canuck dump the puck a lot.  Last season they were 2nd in dump-in rates but don't know the numbers of this season.   They also say that they think Green understands what his team is and how to get the most out of his guys.  

This was Mike Kelly's observations on Vancouver using that video tracking software in a Sportsnet feature - he had similar remarks while previewing the series.  The series preview has been posted on the main board under "abundance of options vs the Wild" - there are 3 clips.     

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/one-big-question-canadas-five-stanley-cup-playoff-hopefuls/

The Canucks create the fewest amount of scoring chances off the rush of any team in the NHL and they allow the second most.

Vancouver doesn’t have the team speed to create a lot of quick-strike offence and as a result need to establish a presence low in the offensive zone to generate quality scoring chances. They do this well, leading the NHL in goals scored off the cycle. However, playing deep in the offensive zone as often as they do and not having an abundance of team speed to track back is what contributes to a lot of the rush chances and goals against.

This lack of team speed could be an issue against a team that breaks the puck out as well as the Blues or teams that play with the kind of pace the Avs and Golden Knights do.

The Canucks have a lot going for them. Jacob Markstrom has been brilliant this season, Quinn Hughes will be a Calder finalist and frankly, I’d have him top-five for the Norris Trophy as well. Their top-six, led by Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser and J.T. Miller, has been great. But, my big question with the Canucks is whether they’ll be able to handle an opponent whose game is predicated on quick puck movement.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

You also only score 2-4 goals in a 3600 second game so you're talking 1.4 goals or 2.2 off the rush or some such ratio. It's pretty useless looking at that stat in an attempt to structure a hockey strategy. You could also say that 99.9% of the time you don't score goals in hockey so you might at well not even try.

3 hours ago, billabong said:

he's ahead of rathbone, hog, Lockwood and I wouldn't call Rafferty a prospect

• Wat 1

17 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Seems like the Rangers were well ahead of this. there is an article if you google it. Good read.

Here. I'm lazy, lol. 

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2019/06/20/nhl-prospect-kaapo-kakko-is-turning-issues-with-diabetes-celiac-disease-into-positives.html

Thanks for the link.  

Listening to Domi's interview of yesterday - he was the one that was hesitating after all, although he was saying he was going to play in early June.  Anyway - he's back with the team now and will join them in the bubble.