The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Chris Tanev, Canucks want new contract

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jacke-eichel-buffalo-sabres-rasmus-ristolainen-trade-quick-shifts/

Ristolainen said he wants to win “if it’s in Buffalo or somewhere else” and realizes losing necessitates change.

“I haven’t really seen it before or in Buffalo. I think this year we built our culture a little bit better than previous years,” he went on.

“We are young. I don’t know if a lot of guys have been in winning teams or winning organizations. Personally, I haven’t. Unfortunately, the team I played for when I was back in Finland it was in the same position, coach got fired every year, players got traded, GM got fired, so I don’t really know what is it. I haven’t seen it. I wish.”

“Buffalo has a bright future,” Ristolainen said, “but we’ve been saying the ‘bright future’ for seven years now when I’ve been here. And I’m not sure when is it?”

I pulled out some quotes from Risto himself. I think he wants it to work out in Buffalo, but he wants to win. They showed some promise this year, but have been eliminated once again already (not even a chance for a play-in). Of course, the coach and GM want him to stay and have likely told him the right things to keep him at bay for now, but the results are going to be telling and it doesn't sound that Risto has completely bought in just yet. Buffalo is likely going to ride it out until the last year of his contract and will have to see where they stand to decide if they will trade him because he's not going to re-sign if they remain the way they have been for his entire career with that organization. So they have a year and a half or so unless Risto demands a move again before this time is up.

So... He's never been on a winner, huh? Maybe his defensive play is part of that?

Ristolainen would likely be gone already if other GMs were willing to part with anything even close to what has been suggested in rumours. But I think other GMs have realized the holes in his game make him of questionable value.

5 hours ago, elvis15 said:

That was totally different, as he hadn't played a game since being out months with a concussion. And as was said, he was offered a 1 year deal rumoured around $2M as well to see if he could bounce back. Nothing at all to do with his offence.

All true, but my point is: Tanev is the type of player that you need to win and only when he is gone you will realize how important he was. It would be a mistake to let him go, let alone replace him with a player like Ristolainen (who I would have to love on the team) or Barrie (Oh dear!).

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jacke-eichel-buffalo-sabres-rasmus-ristolainen-trade-quick-shifts/

Ristolainen said he wants to win “if it’s in Buffalo or somewhere else” and realizes losing necessitates change.

“I haven’t really seen it before or in Buffalo. I think this year we built our culture a little bit better than previous years,” he went on.

We are young. I don’t know if a lot of guys have been in winning teams or winning organizations. Personally, I haven’t. Unfortunately, the team I played for when I was back in Finland it was in the same position, coach got fired every year, players got traded, GM got fired, so I don’t really know what is it. I haven’t seen it. I wish.”

“Buffalo has a bright future,” Ristolainen said, “but we’ve been saying the ‘bright future’ for seven years now when I’ve been here. And I’m not sure when is it?”

I pulled out some quotes from Risto himself. I think he wants it to work out in Buffalo, but he wants to win. They showed some promise this year, but have been eliminated once again already (not even a chance for a play-in). Of course, the coach and GM want him to stay and have likely told him the right things to keep him at bay for now, but the results are going to be telling and it doesn't sound that Risto has completely bought in just yet. Buffalo is likely going to ride it out until the last year of his contract and will have to see where they stand to decide if they will trade him because he's not going to re-sign if they remain the way they have been for his entire career with that organization. So they have a year and a half or so unless Risto demands a move again before this time is up.

Wow that’s a powerful message he’s sending. Basically buffalo has two options bring in players with playoff experience next season or lose Risto  and other top guys. This is why the Philosophy of Jim Benning to bring in guys to maintain and build a winning culture was the right approach. JB has proven that he is willing to pay for the players he likes and he’s willing to pay market value to get them.  

going into the off season teams like buffalo, Rangers, Jersey will be looking for guys who have experience who can stabilize their team.  This is where JB has positioned us well to trade some of our veteran guys. The play ins are a chance for our trade Chips to raise their value. JB should be able to trade Eriksson half salary retained for a 5th round pick, get a good return for Roussel, Sutter, Beagle and motte. These players should be more coveted this upcoming off season and should fetch some good picks. 

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

So... He's never been on a winner, huh? Maybe his defensive play is part of that?

Ristolainen would likely be gone already if other GMs were willing to part with anything even close to what has been suggested in rumours. But I think other GMs have realized the holes in his game make him of questionable value.

That's putting all the onus on him and not the team. He's the top defender on some piss poor teams. He wants stability in the organization and proper direction and hopefully results that come from that.

It's no coincidence that you see players like O'Rielly thrive after leaving Buffalo (and many examples coming out of Edmonton).

What were the rumours though and where did you hear them? Just curious.

Edited by theo5789
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, mll said:

In the past he has asked for a trade.  Sounds like he would like it to work in Buffalo but is not going to wait forever.  Not sure Buffalo is at the point to trade him yet.

For their team to progress it's elsewhere that they should try and cut first, rather than move a player the coach thinks could be core, especially with Ristolainen wanting it to work. Eichel has criticised guys for not always having the right work ethic - would think those are the guys on the way out before Ristolainen.  

I agree that they shouldn't be looking at moving Risto unless they want to restart their rebuild again. They should be building around him, but they have to be careful because he has asked out once already. So while he wants to be loyal, he also wants to be on a team committed to winning.

So that's kind of my point that even though the team may want him around, it doesn't look like he's completely hooked into staying and could easily request out again as he's done in the past. He's giving the team another chance, but it's gotta be a short leash.

5 hours ago, WCE said:

anything more than 5 mil no thanks unless 1 year deal. I would offer 4 year 3.75 per +  1mil performance bonus if he gets 25pts or more a season. 

Tanev is not eligible for performance bonuses.  Other than ELCs within set parameters, very few contracts are performance bonus eligible.  From CapFriendly:

Not all players are eligible for Performance Bonuses, and to receive a bonus within their contract, a player must meet one of the following criteria:

1. The player is on an entry-level contract.
  2. The player has signed a one-year contract and is over 35 years old.
  3. The player has signed a one-year contract after returning from a long-term injury (has played 400 or more games, and spent 100 or more days on the Injured Reserve in the last year of their most recent contract).
  • Thanks 1

Offering a one year deal that is significantly less than the six million you’re paying Myers would be an insult to a guy who’s paid his dues and then some with the Canucks.  Better off just trading him if that’s the case.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

28 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Offering a one year deal that is significantly less than the six million you’re paying Myers would be an insult to a guy who’s paid his dues and then some with the Canucks.  Better off just trading him if that’s the case.

If you read the article, he doesn't sound like he would be insulted. He knows the situation with the pandemic and wants to make it work so he can stay (and hopefully retire as a Canuck).

3 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Wow that’s a powerful message he’s sending. Basically buffalo has two options bring in players with playoff experience next season or lose Risto  and other top guys. This is why the Philosophy of Jim Benning to bring in guys to maintain and build a winning culture was the right approach. JB has proven that he is willing to pay for the players he likes and he’s willing to pay market value to get them.  

going into the off season teams like buffalo, Rangers, Jersey will be looking for guys who have experience who can stabilize their team.  This is where JB has positioned us well to trade some of our veteran guys. The play ins are a chance for our trade Chips to raise their value. JB should be able to trade Eriksson half salary retained for a 5th round pick, get a good return for Roussel, Sutter, Beagle and motte. These players should be more coveted this upcoming off season and should fetch some good picks. 

There's also the cap to deal with that is at best staying stagnant, so teams aren't going to be chomping at the bit for these players either. There are plenty of other options as well (in UFA no less). Hopefully if we get this play-in, it can boost the stock on some of these guys though.

However I do agree with you that it goes to show that Benning knew what he was talking about surrounding his young core with vets and picked out the best even if it cost a bit more (or at least not play contract games and potentially miss out on a target) to do so as he knew the importance of this.

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

This is the key.

I've been against re-signing Tanev, but mostly because I expected it would almost certainly require a multi-year deal. His underlying numbers suggest that his play is starting to regress (particularly when he's not paired with Hughes). So spending a chunk of money on him past the point where Pettersson and Hughes get extended just seems like a really bad idea.

But given the situation, a 1-year deal makes all kinds of sense for both parties. Definitely in favour of that.

One more year of Hughes-Tanev would be ideal imo. Hughes is great but he's still learning and they seem to elevate each other as well which is a little unusual. Usually its one guy helping the other (e.g., Campbell-Gudbranson) but in this case I think 1+1=3. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

That's putting all the onus on him and not the team. He's the top defender on some piss poor teams. He wants stability in the organization and proper direction and hopefully results that come from that.

It's no coincidence that you see players like O'Rielly thrive after leaving Buffalo (and many examples coming out of Edmonton).

What were the rumours though and where did you hear them? Just curious.

I know that it takes a team, I just question how valuable Ristolainen really is. 

It's been a while, but I remember rumours at the beginning of the season connecting him to Winnipeg, involving Ehlers.

Generally though, I just remember buzz that the price was high. And the fact he didn't move suggests it was higher than teams were willing to pay.

22 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It's been a while, but I remember rumours at the beginning of the season connecting him to Winnipeg, involving Ehlers.

That was definitely being asked by the Sabres. The Jets shut that down, as the Sabres would have had to add in a whole lot more. Plus, with the performance Hellebuyck put in this year with a below average defence in front of him, they won’t be as willing to part with anyone significant to add a defenseman. 

Plus, with the cap looking like it’s going to screw over a bunch of teams, and the Jets getting out of Buff’s mess he handed them, they are in a prime position to help out a team looking to shed a contract.

But no to Subban and Myers :sick:

1 or 2 year deal at 4mil per. Bit of a pay cut but given the circumstances it's probably the best we should be willing to do. Losing Tanev would be a massive loss for our already weak blueline defensively. But at the same time the cap isn't going up and we have guys like Hughes and Pettersson gonna command a mint. Virtanen's play warrants north of 3-3.5mil too. Love Tanman but we can't break bank to retain him when younger more important pieces are gonna be up for extensions soon.

I don't hate the Myers contract, but I am definitely starting to think it wasn't the best decision. 6mil isn't egregious, but it's not ideal for what he brings either. Obviously management didn't see us potentially acquiring Toffoli when they signed Myers. But that 6mil would have been very useful for retaining Tanev and Toffoli, both of which I'd say are more valuable than Myers. But alas, what's done is done. We just gotta hope the team's playoff status is enticing enough to convince Toffoli and Tanev to sign relatively cheap.

52 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

But that 6mil would have been very useful for retaining Tanev and Toffoli, both of which I'd say are more valuable than Myers.

Myers took a lot of hard minutes this year. I'd say he's a fair bit better than Tanev at this point in their careers. Sure, TM is overpaid, but that's par for the course for free agent signings. (That will likely end up true of Toffoli as well, if we keep him.)

Given the injury history and regression of Tanev, I would prefer 4 more years of Myers to 4 more years of Tanev (which is the sort term I expected an extension would require). And we certainly can't afford both long-term...but if it's just 1 year, that's perfect.

Edited by D-Money

20 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

I hope some of these players start to finally realize they are not an essential service,and how many lives do hockey players save.

When it comes to their contracts they make more in a year than most underpaid front line workers do in their whole life time, so let that sinkin.

Just trying to be real about this.I love this game and don't want it tarnished by greed.

All pro sports have been tarnished by greed for decades, including the NHL.

9 hours ago, WCE said:

anything more than 5 mil no thanks unless 1 year deal. I would offer 4 year 3.75 per +  1mil performance bonus if he gets 25pts or more a season. 

I like that idea but even better performance bonus would be if he plays over 68 games and he can play in playoffs..

Tanev - 3.5 million X 2 yrs -- Bounuce -  1 million  if he can play over 68 games and healthy for playoffs ...Only way I would keep Tanev..

I really like Tanev his defensive game is great but injuries every year he is not reliable.....

Would rather move way from UFA - Tanev --- Trade one of the wingers like Boeser or Virtanen for that # 2 D man under 27 years old..

Boeser - Has best return value for #2 D man

Virtanen - Has value so much talent and potential with his size and speed and age...

Have to trade value to get value in return...Defence is the weak position...

Sorry nobody can fill this position in Utica....So many fans think its not a problem just put Rafferty or Tryamkin there? Big no there not # 2 D men....

Rafferty -- Could fill Stetchers position at # 5 at $ 750,000 which makes sense...

Stetcher RFA in package ..

We will have to trade one of the goalies before next May 2021 before Seattle expansion draft...

Demko 24 - Future #1 goal in the next 18 months-- Should get late 1st rounder and prospect in trade..

Markstrom --30 - Top 10 goalie in NHL now- Will be very interesting for Jim Benning.

Dipietro - 20 -- Should be ready for NHL backup 2021 season

Kielly - 24 - Good prospect- Great college player - Next season will tell lots....

Silovs- 19 - 6'4 -- Utica 2021 season

16 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

JB will figure it out. I Fully expect JB  to get them (Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom) signed to reasonable contracts.  JB will need to trade players like, sutter, Roussel, Eriksson, Benn, Myers,(all serviceable players who are worth something) to open up spots for cheaper elc or rfa contracts, players like Mcewen, Hoglander, Tryamkin, Rafferty. 

JB won't trade Myers. That would be admitting it was a mistake to sign him.

12 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Yes but as you have listed in your lineup, you Myers paired with Tryamkin in seemingly the "3rd pair". Myers played 2 more minutes a game this year because he was partnered with Edler for the majority of the time. If Tanev gets his minutes reduced further, even at a 4.5 cap, it would be pricey for those minutes (we are likely letting Stecher potentially walk for free as we can't afford to pay him 2.5-3 million on the 3rd pair). And as mentioned, it's not like between Risto/Myers/Tryamkin that they couldn't take on the PK minutes that Tanev would give up. Would love to make it work somehow, I just don't see it happening.

And I'd envision him seeing a lot of minutes up the 'pairings' with injuries, match ups etc. No different than this past year.

We also might likely lose a D in expansion next summer... Making the 'too many good D' issue very short lived. I'm not one who poo-poos him or his salary but It could very well be Myers and his $6m if we were to upgrade to Risto. By then we should have a better idea what we have in Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty, Brisebois, Woo (perhaps moving Tryamkin to 3rd pair right side) etc.