The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 02, 2020 | Wild lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Don't hate him but tear everything he does and laughably say JV is better. Sorry I don't buy it. 

I wasn't trying to sell it to you, so we can both be satisfied.  Pretty sure Virtanen could have managed one shot on goal last night, just saying

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While I’m not trying to overreact, if the Canucks don’t find a way to take control of the series, heads will roll. 

Paul Maurice coached a great game today without his top center and winger. 

i'm putting the spotlight on Green in this best of 5.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Paul Maurice coached a great game today without his top center and winger. 

i'm putting the spotlight on Green in this best of 5.

Minnys top 4 day is, arguable the best in the league........Calgary's is most certainly not.  I think everyone knew, deep down, this was not a good match up and winning was going to be more of a long shot than most were openly saying.

Vancouver's fwds have not been able to really get much against stingy teams all year

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

People need to step away from the ledge.  This is a win win situation.  At the beginning of the season, the goal was to play meaningful games at the end, and hopefully make the playoffs.  Many were saying we would not make the playoffs.  

Fast forward to now, here we are, for all intents and purposes, playing playoff games.  Better result than most hoped or predicted.  On top of that, if we lose, we have a fantastic chance at a 1st overall pick. 

Winning!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Minnys top 4 day is, arguable the best in the league........Calgary's is most certainly not.  I think everyone knew, deep down, this was not a good match up and winning was going to be more of a long shot than most were openly saying.

Vancouver's fwds have not been able to really get much against stingy teams all year

to me that's on coaching tho. 

5 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

to me that's on coaching tho. 

I don't think so, though there's an element of it, for sure.  As a coach you can do everything right, set the table perfectly, but it's the players who have to execute the gameplan.  I feel pretty confident that Green's gameplan was not to skate around the perimeter and don't take any shots.  

Once the game starts, a coach doesn't have many ways to impact a game.........what could Green have done differently, really?  Minny's top 4 shut down the Canucks top 6 and the top 6 fwds had 5 passengers last night.

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think so, though there's an element of it, for sure.  As a coach you can do everything right, set the table perfectly, but it's the players who have to execute the gameplan.  I feel pretty confident that Green's gameplan was not to skate around the perimeter and don't take any shots.  

Once the game starts, a coach doesn't have many ways to impact a game.........what could Green have done differently, really?  Minny's top 4 shut down the Canucks top 6 and the top 6 fwds had 5 passengers last night.

I just didn't see a structured attack in the offensive zone last night, they didn't adjust at all to counter what the wild were doing to our forwards. 

Just now, Trebreh said:

I just didn't see a structured attack in the offensive zone last night, they didn't adjust at all to counter what the wild were doing to our forwards. 

do you honestly believe the strategy was to just "wing it and see what happens"?  If there was no structured attack it's because the players on the ice didn't execte one.  This isn't some bush league........every player and coach is among the very best on the planet.  Minny's defense completely, 100% owned the Canucks top 6 last night..........if you feel like you need to point fingers, that's who you point at.  If I thought it was Green's fault, in any way, I'd say so as he's in my doghouse right now.  His mistake came before the game, not during it.

petey 2 sog

Boes - 1 sog

Miller - 1 sog

Pearson - 0 sog

Toffoli - 0 sog

Horvat - 0 sog

not one single scoring chance or even remotely dangerous play from the top 6.  

• Cheers 3

Pat Quinn didn’t lose his tough side even as a head coach/manager.  Guy literally went ballistic (when he was “management”) when an opposing fan disrespected a Canucks Jersey.   He brought a sense of pride to an organization that had none before.