The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 14, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think it would be smart to play someone who wasn't as good as OJ in training camp or who doesn't have the experience Benn does.

Isn't exactly a recipe for success.

Hughes can play the right side.   Why not this:

Edler-Hughes

Fanta-Tanev

OJ-Stecher

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not really. Third line isn't much of a checking line compared to the 2nd and 4th. It's been more of a filler line. My point was if we wanted to roll 4 lines, replacing Virtanen with someone who's consistently better defensively, offensively and away from the puck will give Green more opportunities to do so since he can trust that 3rd line more.

If you weigh who's done the most and least to contribute to the wins, Virtanen has easily done the least among all the forwards. Hence why he should/could be replaced.

I really think Jake is just done with Green and his antics. Green has been on him for years now and its like a Coach who has his own son on the team and he is much harder on him then anyone else. Its sad to see but I think Green has pretty much ruined him and a chance for him to succeed on this team. Jake is going to be a great player but unfortunately its going to be on another team.

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

&^@# em, &^@#, &^$^ the refs, and $^@^ don't forget to $^&^ the couch.

Wait a minute here. I think the refs have been quite fair. There is a point where they let the game be played.

The refs have been pretty fair to the Canucks organization in these playoffs as well as the qualifying rounds.

It remains to be seen if they collectively have enough stripes to bypass the rigors of the game, but expect a lot more non-calls going forward going both ways.

As far as I'm concerned, I if Myers is out, the Canucks NEED. to replace that toughness. They're fine defensively. But that toughness.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Pearson's my unsung hero. Dude has stepped up big for us so far, making huge plays like scoring a couple of our first goals in the first series and setting up Bo for the tying goal in game 4 versus the Wild

He's been good but he hasn't had fans either not even penciling him into the lineup or whining about his contract during his tenure here.  Defensive players with little offense are very underrated here.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Motte's been pretty much a low-key heart and soul player for us. Dude's same height as Stecher and Hughes but you'd never notice that.

He is a catalyst for all the other lines , if he is going, they all are it seems,  whether they are stepping over the boards to grab some of his energy, or mixed in with him on the pp.

Canucks!  Really this team is Canucks!  Unbelievable!  It looks the best team up to this moment during the payoff series.

Bo!  Really he is Bo!  Unbelievable!   It looks he is the best players up to this moment during the payoff series.

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not really. Third line isn't much of a checking line compared to the 2nd and 4th. It's been more of a filler line. My point was if we wanted to roll 4 lines, replacing Virtanen with someone who's consistently better defensively, offensively and away from the puck will give Green more opportunities to do so since he can trust that 3rd line more.

If you weigh who's done the most and least to contribute to the wins, Virtanen has easily done the least among all the forwards. Hence why he should/could be replaced.

I don't agree with that  at all - Sutter's line isn't exactly a 'filler line' and further to that point, if you're weighing who has done what as you suggest, you sure as hell don't refer to Sutter's contributions in these playoffs as 'filler'.  He's been 'foundational' -  perhaps better than that - he's been an utter force.  You can't separate Horvat's production from the context in which the bottom six - with Sutter as opposed to Gaudette centering a line - enables that line to perform.

Moving Toffoli to play with him - maybe a good option if they intend to utilize Sutter that much more (Jake isn't the only guy not seeing ice time - Roussel is averaging 6:48 of ice time, Virtanen 8:59 - so if people are so determined to dwell on Virtanen's ice time, we might as well also look at what's up with Roussel.

Anyhow - I may be a bit too hard on LE - but imo he's fallen to the 16th forward on this team (when it's healthy) this year - and he's in the lineup because a handful of other forwards aren't healthy.  He's a decent fit on Horvat's wing, but that doesn't really reflect where he is on the depth chart.

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I’ve been through the 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015 and now the 2020 playoffs on CDC (2009 and 2010 as a lurker). The last five years or so have been pretty unpleasant, especially from 2014 until early 2017 when we didn’t have Boeser, Pettersson or Hughes. When Boeser joined, it gradually started getting better. I think the activity on this forum has started to pick again like it was in the early 2010s.

Damn totally thought you had been here since inception you're just the forums one stop shop for all news Canucks or leaguewide.

I joined 2017, but was a lurker since halfway through the 2015 season and I made another account back then for the postseason (forgot that account's info), so I've really only been part of zero to one postseason on this forum.  It's been too damn long.

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He is a catalyst for all the other lines , if he is going, they all are it seems,  whether they are stepping over the boards to grab some of his energy, or mixed in with him on the pp.

Definite spark plug. Something I wish Virtanen was more of.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Roberts said:

I just realized this is the first time the Canucks have been in the playoffs in my time on CDC. I joined in December of 2015.

Ahhhhhh.  So it is your fault we lost in 2011.  We needed some GDTs from you then, too!

Slacker B)

Keep up the good work!

21 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Pearson's my unsung hero. Dude has stepped up big for us so far, making huge plays like scoring a couple of our first goals in the first series and setting up Bo for the tying goal in game 4 versus the Wild

Perhaps not unsung, but interesting to see Boeser go from finisher in the first series to set up guy in this one so far.  Quite possibly the quietest 7 points in 6 playoff games ever.