The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 17, 2020 | Series tied 2-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

when sutherland reffed the first game vs the wilds canucks lost game 1 and won 5 games straight.  so i think this is a blessing in disguise... canucks will win another 5 games. count on it!!!!!!! but it is kinda a good trade of myers for terasenko both valuable... 

im counting on a canucks win al the way goo nucks gooo

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I personally won't go to the cup parade if my team wins it using dirty plays. I am not a fan of "winning at all costs" mantra. But this is just me, I see what are you saying.

I agree with you. My observation is that when the broadcast talks about that extra drive of championship teams, it really seems like win at all costs regardless of hurting a fellow human being. 

There's guys that do that and there's guys that don't. 

Personally, i love that we are a classy team. What's unfortunate is that being on the right side of humanity has cost us a Stanley cup and now we're in a dog fight. 

Even though Shea Weber hasn't won a cup, he's the type of guy that will do whatever it takes to win. I still remember him taking Zetterberg' s head, grabbing it and slamming it into the dasher WWE style. 

During playoffs, he doesn't care that Zetterberg could get a career threatening concussion. All he wants to do is win. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Green Building said:

A day of rest and hope we come back swinging for Game 5. Friday will be exciting.

Think we will a different Canucks team for Game 5....

Now we are the team needing to raise our game. Blues needed to raise their game after Game 2 and did so, now it's our turn.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Averaging 24 and a half minutes on ice as a forward.. man he is killing us, I guess its skewed a bit from the overtime 

He plays hard but we got to make those those tough minutes for him. Not sure if we have the personnel for that though. He just goes about his business, doesn't do anything after whistles. We don't go after him like they do Petey. We're getting worn down and they're not ATM. 

2 minutes ago, shazzam said:

He plays hard but we got to make those those tough minutes for him. Not sure if we have the personnel for that though. He just goes about his business, doesn't do anything after whistles. We don't go after him like they do Petey. We're getting worn down and they're not ATM. 

The matchup lines have nobody that plays rough on them. Roussel was great with Bo last season, he'd hit him. 

1 minute ago, Moose Nuckle said:

The matchup lines have nobody that plays rough on them. Roussel was great with Bo last season, he'd hit him. 

Green has all the skilled players on one line and grinders on another. I don't think that works on a heavy team like the Blues 5v5. Got to have players that can crash and bang as well as carry the puck on each line.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Team look tired.  Leading to all sorts of turnovers...  and more forechecking punishment.  The days off will be a welcome Luxury, and the team will 100% have a better performance. 

predicting game 5 goes to OT. 

At this stage I’m okay with walking away from Toffoli, Tanev, dealing Stecher, Demko, and Virtanen... with hopes of adding a salary like Roussel or Beagle into the deal.   Keep Marky...   and go big game hunting on RD....  Pietrangelo or bust!

Edited by 70seven
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

They will make room for Tanev, even if it means trading virtanen. We cant build a team by only thinking about the cap, we have to build it right. If it means a lesser player gets traded to sign a more important player, so be it.

Yeah. I get that. Tanev definitely more important piece than Virtanen if you had to compare the two. 

But I also don't think Jake could be asking for the moon. He'll get a slight raise, but his playoff performance would indicate that he's not going to get what he and his camp thinks he's worth. 

1.5 million for Virtanen on a one year deal to prove himself again. I might take that. It's a cheap enough contract as well, that well, if he does well and absolutely explodes next season, great, then he could be a great candidate for a trade. Or, they decide to keep him, and sign him to a bridge deal to again prove his worth. Jake seems to be that kind of player. You don't want to commit to him long term, because once you do, he'll slack. Feels like he's the kind of player that needs a carrot dangled in front of him to keep him working and moving and proving his worth and value as a player. 

But then again, if that's the kind of player he is, do we really want him around? 

• Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Team look tired.  Leading to all sorts of turnovers...  and more forechecking punishment.  The days off will be a welcome Luxury, and the team will 100% have a better performance. 

predicting game 5 goes to OT. 

At this stage I’m okay with walking away from Toffoli, Tanev and dealing Stecher, and Virtanen... with hopes of adding a salary like Roussel or Beagle into the deal.   Keep Marky...   and go big game hunting on RD....  Pietrangelo or bust!

Series isn't done and i still believe we can pull this off. 

Based on what I'm seeing though Id say keep Tanev and try to keep Toffoli and figure out a way at all costs to shed other salary including throwing in draft picks. We are not far off. This round shows us we lack defensive depth. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Apricot said:

PP sucked yesterday yes but its not a dead PP

Yes we are but we're gonna push back the remainder of the series

Everyone gets injured, can't really prevent that from happening. Blues lost Tarasenko, it happens to every team. 

Yes we are inexperienced 100%, but this series is giving us experience and GOOD one too because we're playing the SC champions. Everyone is inexperienced until they get experience. 

You're more than welcome to jump ship, no one is stopping you. I'll stay here with the real fans :metal::canucks:

So I am not a real fan when the blatant facts are presented?

I am not complaining, this is what I expected and am more than happy this went to 6. Honestly going to 6 was the top of my expectations.

We just don't have the nastiness, dirtiness, support roster, and experience to beat the defending Champs. 

Nothing more nothing lesson.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Again = not sure if serious.

MacEwen is an even 0 in the playoffs. 

MacEwen, playing 7:35 a game - with 76.5% defensive zone starts..... is being compared to Hutton.  That's absurd wadr.

This kind of reduction - 'production' gazing - and lack of context is what leads to fundamental misunderstanding of players/roles/the game in general.

MacEwen - on a shutdown unit up tilted ice - has not been outscored 5 on 5 in these playoffs. You think guys like him are the problem?   If you don't see the value of that, you have a massive blindspot.

Not sure if I am serious?

You are funny Old Newsman

sometimes your arguments make good sense,

and at other times you pick out some minutia and argue for the sake of arguing.

Did I ever say I was blaming Jack McEwen?

no.

Zack McEwen is 1/6 of our anemic bottom 6.

I am not picking on ZM but you want to pretend that I am.

btw Zack is +1 on the strength of being on, but not assisting on 2 of Bo's goals

He and jake are getting limitted offensive chances that you are choosing to ignore

You come up with your weird version of "2way player" that makes no sense in a hockey context.

It almost like you suddenly think hockey is football (gridiron,just so you don't get confused with soccer) and think coaches can put out "THE Offense" against the other teams "DEFENSE".

Maybe you think with a little practice the Beagles and Ericksson can skate to center ice and change with the Peteys and Boesers, then change back when the plays come back to our end. Is that how you think this game works? That seems to be what you think is "2 way" hockey.

That is making you sound a little bit addled, because that is not the way this game works.

But you just carry on pretending you know something about the "fundementals" of the game we are discussing. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I hope Green and the team are immersed in video of the first two games and really identifying how they were able to succeed and what they need to do next game.

maybe we can get Nyquil in the StL water bottles

There is not much Green can do about StL upping their game, the game they played yesterday was  different from the first 2.

Probably better to watch the last  game to find the answer

49 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Think we will a different Canucks team for Game 5....

Now we are the team needing to raise our game. Blues needed to raise their game after Game 2 and did so, now it's our turn.

Well back home and just watched the game with the wife. WOW that was a game from the champions! We looked like we lacked energy across the lines and ideas. A number of players looked lack lustre so a shake up needed I feel for game 5. Not wholesale but some video work on the blues and maybe a bold change. Overall on balance 2 2 I think is fair as much as it hurts to say and would have taken that at the start it is just momentum is with the Blues right now. Big big push needed tomorrow. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

So I am not a real fan when the blatant facts are presented?

I am not complaining, this is what I expected and am more than happy this went to 6. Honestly going to 6 was the top of my expectations.

We just don't have the nastiness, dirtiness, support roaster, and experience to beat the defending Champs. 

Nothing more nothing less.

You're jumping ship when the series is tied 2-2, a real fan doesn't do that. A real fan doesnt jump ship regardless, facts or no facts. "Happy this went to 6", how can you say you're a real fan when you don't even have faith in your team and just talk like they've already lost the series. We're major underdogs and everyone knows that and this series wasnt going to be easy but you cant just give up just like that. We ALL knew that this series was going to be tough, and hard for us to win but a lot of us are still here, and continue to be here, regardless if we win or lose. Real fans stay, fake fans stay when they're winning and leave when they're not. 

• Like 2

Listening to the commentary on 650, it's all over the map in how people feel about our chances and what's needed.

A consistent theme though is:  you don't have to "shut ROR down"...but you have to limit the damage he's doing.  He's pretty hard to "stop" but you have to get in his way.  Also, that secondary scoring is a huge must right now.  And that now would be a good time for Marky to "steal" a game (although he's been pretty damn good in my view).  They also said Brock is fine according to Green...so just has to get going.

Not anything that's new news here.  But it's interesting listening to the different takes.  All over the map...some people's belief in the team is at 1...others it's still at 10.  

The pp has to get more creative and if Brock starts clicking that'll help because they're not really focused on him at all.

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

maybe we can get Nyquil in the StL water bottles

There is not much Green can do about StL upping their game, the game they played yesterday was  different from the first 2.

Probably better to watch the last  game to find the answer

The difference is having the confidence in their goaltender. They able to play more of their game without worrying about covering for their goalie. Binnington's confidence was totally shot. That was the biggest change they've made. We need to somehow get into Allen's head.