The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 17, 2020 | Series tied 2-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

We should put our 2 best takeaway players against him along with Petey so they can dish him the puck after stealing it. 

Miller - Petey - Virtanen 

How is it that last change has done absolutely nothing for us?

Green has gotta figure it out. You allow that kind of dominance to continue and this thing is over in 6.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Thank You. Boeser is not a carrier of the play yet he is not a sniper right now either. He continues to lose possession of the puck on the PP. This was really noticeable when he was demoted off the top line, he went pointless. Jake may not be scoring but he is also not on the top line either playing with great players such as Petey and Miller.

We need Toffoli back for the top line.. play dies on Boesers stick all series long. 

Soon as Toffoli returns EP Miller line will be much better 5v5.  

Boeser moving down to 2nd line will be easier on him and hope fully add some offense to the 2nd line if BB can get his scoring touch back..

Need Myers back asap too. Stecher overwhelmed with role he has to play with Myers out..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Honestly I would let Ep40 go head to head like we did in the first two games against ROR , and rely on Bo on to step it up again . 

Probably limits his success when he's busy chasing Petey and crew around his own zone. Maybe we need first change? ;)

Edited by Gawdzukes

7 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

He is 6'1/215 , their biggest forward , a locomotive on skates. Not easy to check.

Yes definitely not easy but better than  sitting back and letting him protect the puck at will. 

Bo isn't easy to check either so all it took was a deliberate push to his legs when he was going full speed into the boards for puck retrieval. He fell hard into the boards and wasn't the same for the rest of the game. 

I feel terrible advocating dirty plays like this but if you look back at how we lost in 2011 and how the Blues are coming back this series it's through key dirty plays to our stars. 

Championship teams seem like they'll do whatever it takes to win whether someone gets hurt or not. 

If Jake, Mac or Roussel ran ROR from behind in response to Sutter and Myers' hit and took ROR out of the playoffs, this would be a completely different series. 

Most they would face is a 2 game suspension if any at all and the trade off for Jake 2 games vs ROR playoffs is worth it. 

I'm pretty sure that's how the bruins and blues do the math. 

Look at the Carolina series. Staal and Svechnikov out... What a coincidence... 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes definitely not easy but better than  sitting back and letting him protect the puck at will. 

Bo isn't easy to check either so all it took was a deliberate push to his legs when he was going full speed into the boards for puck retrieval. He fell hard into the boards and wasn't the same for the rest of the game. 

I feel terrible advocating dirty plays like this but if you look back at how we lost in 2011 and how the Blues are coming back this series it's through key dirty plays to our stars. 

Championship teams seem like they'll do whatever it takes to win whether someone gets hurt or not. 

You dont have to play dirty to make a guys life hell. We need to make his life hell. 

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

If Jake, Mac or Roussel ran ROR from behind in response to Sutter and Myers' hit and took ROR out of the playoffs, this would be a completely different series. 

Most they would face is a 2 game suspension if any at all and the trade off for Jake 2 games vs ROR playoffs is worth it. 

I'm pretty sure that's how the bruins and blues do the math. 

Look at the Carolina series. Staal and Svechnikov out... What a coincidence... 

I personally won't go to the cup parade if my team wins it using dirty plays. I am not a fan of "winning at all costs" mantra. But this is just me, I see what are you saying.

1 minute ago, Moose Nuckle said:

You dont have to play dirty to make a guys life hell. We need to make his life hell. 

I don't think you can make his life hell. 

The Canucks are doing all they can in defending him. He's strong, protects the puck well. Canucks are doing their best to keep him to the outside but every now and then there is a break down (his second goal with stech in the corner) and he makes you pay. 

Guys can't run around either to hit him as he'll find the open guy. 

So if we do decide to go that route, make him pay the price for making the play.  For example, that ot pass to Schenn, while in a battle with Hughes, Brock's gotta come in and knock him on his butt as standing along the boards did nothing in terms of making ROR think twice about a potential hit coming and he made the play he wanted to make with no repercussions. 

All I'm saying is that to lay a big hit on him, most likely will need to be a double team which is also risking an open man

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

I just wonder if Jake is more useful in front as a screen and to pick up on rebounds? we have a lot of quality shooters. 

I mentioned this idea earlier in the thread - according to the roster on SN Jake is 6'1 226lbs. Plant his ass in front of Allen as a screen and make the Blues move him out of the way. Allen is seeing everything he has to stop - we need traffic in front of him.

• Cheers 1