The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 19, 2020 | Canucks lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

lot of heart, guys fought like hell

totally deserved the win

must play desperate game 6 and seal the deal 

They need to repeat tonight's effort next game. In the long road, playing the Blues has been great for their development. 

It reminds me of Gretzky's comment on losing to the islanders in his first Stanley cup finals. The oilers were dejected and leaving the locker room passing the islanders room. He thought he would see a massive celebration but instead he saw the islander players battered and exhausted enjoying the victory quietly.

Going through this war with St Louis now gives our core an idea of what it takes to be a champion. 

2 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

I personally don't want to sign either Toffolli or Virtanen. I would trade them both if I could. Why? Because I never saw Toffoli as that good. The points that he got were more of chances created by other teammates. If Toffoli is considered one of our core players then sure. BUT, Toffoli is not part of our core. So Toffoli should be in a role where he is supporting the skilled/core players by fetching pucks, going to the front of the net and playing hard. But what I saw Toffoli do in the season is score on chances created by core players only and I have not seen a play where he generated a chance on his own and created a chance to score for other players.

Hard disagree. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, runtzguy said:

I personally don't want to sign either Toffolli or Virtanen. I would trade them both if I could. Why? Because I never saw Toffoli as that good. The points that he got were more of chances created by other teammates. If Toffoli is considered one of our core players then sure. BUT, Toffoli is not part of our core. So Toffoli should be in a role where he is supporting the skilled/core players by fetching pucks, going to the front of the net and playing hard. But what I saw Toffoli do in the season is score on chances created by core players only and I have not seen a play where he generated a chance on his own and created a chance to score for other players.

But to have a guy that converts on those chances are big. TT73 is no Jan Hlavic. Right now BB6 is the guy we need to take advantage of scoring chances. If he’s not producing? Next man up. If JV can consistently put up points in big games. We can invest in another solid Dman in lieu of BB6’s contract. 

Motte was due a game like this, could see it was in the making - just glad it was in a game and at a time that mattered!

JV played well today and was being a pain.

i liked the fact we got bodies on Allen and were being a pain around the crease 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Vintage 3

Just now, oldnews said:

I think Stecher and Fantenburg were bloody awesome tonight.  Tanev....we expect it.  But those two seriously raised their levels imo - and not a forward in the lineup that failed to support them.

Fanta has raised his game this playoffs for sure. 

Jordie Benn has been playing well too considering his situation coming in. 

2 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

But to have a guy that converts on those chances are big. TT73 is no Jan Hlavic. Right now BB6 is the guy we need to take advantage of scoring chances. If he’s not producing? Next man up. If JV can consistently put up points in big games. We can invest in another solid Dman in lieu of BB6’s contract. 

I get that you need a guy that scores on chances created by others. But the sample size I saw Toffoli in, I do not recall a shift where he generated a chance for other players to score. When I say chances, I mean giving a good pass or creating a loose puck on a hard forecheck. I think this is concerning because Toffoli seems to rely on Miller and Petterson a lot on his goals, instead of the other way around.

• Wat 1

Boeser kinda stunk the first two periods, but I really liked his compete level in the 3rd. He brings that all game on Friday and we're looking pretty. It kinda sucks that Jake and Boeser are vying for that same spot on the first line, since Horvat seems to click best with Eriksson and Pearson. Jake looked really good on the first line tonight. He was dialed in. In the bottom 6 he plays a bit more passive. Boeser can't play that bottom 6 role though. So Jake is kinda forced into it. If Jake is in the bottom 6 we can't really expect him to be a force offensively like he was tonight. 

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

And winning puck battles like a swear word. He had a great game 

2 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

He threw his weight around loved it

1 minute ago, Cromeslab said:

Full team effort

Even when the puck isn't going in for him he's still trying to be an effective player in other areas. Gotta love it.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think Stecher and Fantenburg were bloody awesome tonight.  Tanev....we expect it.  But those two seriously raised their levels imo - and not a forward in the lineup that failed to support them.

Fanta has been one of the most impressive players for me thus far,gotta love Stetcher,he always battles

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2