The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Twitter reacts to Kevin Bieksa

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I think the most painful thing is the lack of sense of humour from the rest of the panel. Dead straight-faced robots that can't even crack a smile. Now I get why Bieksa could rub people the wrong way and he should try to act a bit unbiased, eg not actually say on air that he's not a Flames fan (which I think was the only thing that wasn't necessary to say), so I understand the reaction to it. However that's just him in a nutshell, he's going to chirp and call people out. And honestly, that's just how media works, they troll fanbases and incite them and that draws viewership for whatever reason. Just for the first time, we get to see how it's done to the opposing fans rather than us.

I think they were shell-shocked - and generally being (not even closet but open) Flames backers - that 2nd period rocked their hopes. 

Juice may have been a bit 'insensitive' there - but there have been countless instances where there has been a consensus and merciless trolling Benning et al - and this market had to endure it. 

So - I was actually pulling for Calgary there - but I also thoroughly enjoy Bieksa 'calling it like it is'.

Andersson, Monahan, Gaudreau, etc - were playing some horrible hockey without the puck - something you can't really build a winner around -and Bieksa was illustrating that.  Fair game imo.  For all the mockery of Benning's attention to veteran bottom six type detail - the Canucks generally play a tighter game - and the influence from those veterans positively effects the young players - EP throws his body in front of shots to protect a lead, Horvat has become a high end two way forward, Hughes battles at every turn, guys like Gaudette and Virtanen play roles, but are limited to the extent they are ready  - and the real heavy lifting remains with the Sutter, Beagle, Edler, Tanev types.  Benning may have been mocked at virtually every turn, but a lot of it was relatively mindless oversight imo.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think they were shell-shocked - and generally being (not even closet but open) Flames backers - that 2nd period rocked their hopes. 

Juice may have been a bit 'insensitive' there - but there have been countless instances where there has been a consensus and merciless trolling Benning et al - and this market had to endure it. 

So - I was actually pulling for Calgary there - but I also thoroughly enjoy Bieksa 'calling it like it is'.

Andersson, Monahan, Gaudreau, etc - were playing some horrible hockey without the puck - something you can't really build a winner around -and Bieksa was illustrating that.  Fair game imo.  For all the mockery of Benning's attention to veteran bottom six type detail - the Canucks generally play a tighter game - and the influence from those veterans positively effects the young players - EP throws his body in front of shots to protect a lead, Horvat has become a high end two way forward, Hughes battles at every turn, guys like Gaudette and Virtanen play roles, but are limited to the extent they are ready  - and the real heavy lifting remains with the Sutter, Beagle, Edler, Tanev types.  Benning may have been mocked at virtually every turn, but a lot of it was relatively mindless oversight imo.

Oh I have no problem with him calling out their poor play, that's just analysis which is the job. But the panel could've laughed about the Perry joke. But just dead faces. However the only thing where I think Bieksa went a bit too far was saying he's not a Flames fan. He could've just left it alone where he said if I was a Flames fan, there's still hope. I think that's the difference between when we get trolled by the panel. We know they're homers of other teams, but I don't think they've directly said anything that they're not fans of the Canucks. And I think that's what is riling people up the most (so if that was Bieksa's intention, then mission accomplished).

• Upvote 1

I always thought he'd be great at this gig.

Thing is...it isn't forced.  He's always been quick witted/sharp and doesn't have to manufacture this stuff...it comes by him naturally.  He's a brilliant man and the fact that he can provide some of the best analysis of the game ALONG with wit and humour is refreshing and much needed.  He adds credibility to the panel.

Some TRY to be humorous and it really misses the mark.  He's just born to do this stuff.

Go Juice!   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Oh I have no problem with him calling out their poor play, that's just analysis which is the job. But the panel could've laughed about the Perry joke. But just dead faces. However the only thing where I think Bieksa went a bit too far was saying he's not a Flames fan. He could've just left it alone where he said if I was a Flames fan, there's still hope. I think that's the difference between when we get trolled by the panel. We know they're homers of other teams, but I don't think they've directly said anything that they're not fans of the Canucks. And I think that's what is riling people up the most (so if that was Bieksa's intention, then mission accomplished).

Meh.  I think there's been countless incidents every bit as 'troll' as Bieksa saying he's not a fan.  Panel and beyond - CBC, SN, TSN...

McLean's infamous shots at Burrows.

Burke's Luongo rule - not a panel member at the time, but he took his axe to grind with the Aquilini's to the point it has damaged our present franchise. I love Burke - but he's also a Leaf and a Lame - and the bridge was burnt here, so...

Dreger's constant trolling, particularly around the Luongo trade (Dreger being a cousin to Dave Nonis - who was fired in favour of Gillis).

Ferraro's endless railing against Benning's incomprehensible rebuild approach.

Hrudey - does anything need to be said - he leaks everywhere at virtually all times.

PJ Stock....Kypreos... Healey....(not fans of the Canucks in very similar ways to Juice not being a Lames fan).  Never particularly subtle - any of them.

Endless waves of Leafs gazing and Leaf homers - almost too many to name.  #proper-rebuild.   Understandable catering to the center of the universe, but enough is enough.

Not sure I'm the least bit concerned about Bieksa having taken it any further than any of them.  If they wanted a more 'professional' approach - they probably should have righted their own ship long ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

However the only thing where I think Bieksa went a bit too far was saying he's not a Flames fan. He could've just left it alone where he said if I was a Flames fan, there's still hope. I think that's the difference between when we get trolled by the panel. We know they're homers of other teams, but I don't think they've directly said anything that they're not fans of the Canucks. And I think that's what is riling people up the most (so if that was Bieksa's intention, then mission accomplished).

Why should he leave it alone?  It might hurt some feelings?

I wonder if Ron McLean cared when he was slagging Burrows all over the place.  He's still active.  Milsbury's still got a platform.

Don't fool yourself...there have been a lot of slams against the Canucks/others...they just get "excused".  Some are disguised as really bad commentary..but they're easily decipherable.  

I'd rather they come clean and admit they're not Canuck fans...more integrity in that.   

There's a lot of phoney faking and it's kind of nauseating.  It's really refreshing to have someone unafraid to be himself and not have to follow the crowd.  Into the sewer.

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Motion to rename this the "KB3 appreciation thread".  :gocan:

David Amber is definitely a Maple Leaves fan.  At best, he's a bandwagoner for our 'nucks.

His face lights up when they talk about the Canucks, he always brings them up.  I have no doubt he's a closet Nuck fan.

43 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

do you remember at all the $&!# we had to eat during the 2011 run? what KB said was minimal in comparison. If thats the line then its been crossed 100x by others. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Why should he leave it alone?  It might hurt some feelings?

I wonder if Ron McLean cared when he was slagging Burrows all over the place.  He's still active.  Milsbury's still got a platform.

Don't fool yourself...there have been a lot of slams against the Canucks/others...they just get "excused".  Some are disguised as really bad commentary..but they're easily decipherable.  

I'd rather they come clean and admit they're not Canuck fans...more integrity in that.   

There's a lot of phoney faking and it's kind of nauseating.  It's really refreshing to have someone unafraid to be himself and not have to follow the crowd.  Into the sewer.

yup, how many backhanded comments and snide remarks has this team recieved from the panel over the years. kev's the enforcer on the panel now and it stops. i could have sworn ron mclean said that he doesnt like alex burrows on the air because of the auger thing

Edited by Twilight Sparkle
  • Vintage 2

14 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Posters here were forecasting this about a decade back.

What's interesting is KB3 will never be one toe the company line. He's a free spirit, outspoken & intelligent..all this pkg'd with undeniable charisma. Then he loves the team big media seems to hate. Somewheres down the line there's gonna be a blow up. He should just take over Garret's gig, down the road.

I think he'll be to big for the 650 games, Bieksa belongs with the big boys on a national stage in CBC. Ive said this before, hes what Charles Barkley is to TNT Basketball. Bieksa is made for tv, absolute must watch

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

So honesty isn't welcome?

I like that he wears it like a badge of honour...there's history there and it's no secret.  So to say it out loud is wrong?  

He took a jab and that's ok.  I'd rather have his 2 second confession than an ongoing homer saga like that of Hrudey the Flame Fan.  Kevin put it out there.  It's good to be able to come from an angle that's never been 'allowed'...been taboo.  

Speak your truth, KB3.

People on here would be having seizures if Kelly Hrudey stated he wasn't a fan of the Canucks.