The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 21, 2020 | Canucks win series 4-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Even Hrudey said something to the effect that the Blues weren't getting NHL-level goaltending from him, so yeah.  But there were 2 teams on the ice and we made him look bad in a way that he never could have achieved on his own. 

They have a hell of a first line, but beyond that? Allstar Captain on D, but beyond that? Last year was a blue collar anomale that likely wont happen again for a long time, if ever. Teams with superstars almost always win. And we have at least two on this team.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've played in front of hostile crowds/buildings as both the visitor and the home team.........it can be a big boost for the home team

And that's when good teams will rise above it, as the visitors, and not use it as an excuse.  They have to learn to feed off each other, not the crowd.  That's something our team seems to understand.  They don't "need" outside sources...it comes from within.

You are not them.  We have guys who seem to muster that energy/fuel without having to fill the arena with it.  I love that.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

When he was a rookie and totally unknown, several of the brass called him Tony over and over (thought that was his name). He hammed it up, and told them his name was Tony Stretcher, and it's stuck since as a meme.

Meet our own Mafia Ice-Man, Tony Stretcher.

StecherStache1.png.3d5d190db021bd98d4636bdc8d0dd6c6.png

Actually what happened was when he played for Utica in the AHL, they wrote his name wrong on the lineup card and announced him as Tony Strecher, it stuck LOL.

Reminds me of the Harold chants, this was done as a humorous response to a fan in Washington that would chant at Snepts sarcasticly. Of course in those days no one would go to Cap games and the arena was always quiet so you could hear this guy clearly. Canuck fans have always had the best humour and they turned his sarcastic chant into a constant home chant for Harold.

Harold Snepts was always a fan favourite in Vancouver.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, peaches5 said:

We aren't cap strapped this year coming up. We have 17m and cap space and need to sign Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, Virtanen, Motte, Gaudette. If you signed Pietrangelo i'd remove Tanev and Toffoli from that and then I think Sutter would be the odd man out and with how he has played I think he is easily tradeable. Then we are with plenty of cap to sign the others and then next year there is another 19m-ish coming off the cap so there is a lot of room to sign Petey and Hughes

if not "strapped" certainly squeezed. Losing Sutter, Tanev and Toffoli to add Pietrangelo would have to work out very well. If Pietrangelo goes down to injury we've lost a lot of of team defensive structure. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

And that's when good teams will rise above it, as the visitors, and not use it as an excuse.  They have to learn to feed off each other, not the crowd.  That's something our team seems to understand.  They don't "need" outside sources...it comes from within.

You are not them.  We have guys who seem to muster that energy/fuel without having to fill the arena with it.  I love that.

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.  That's pretty much what I said.......the no home ice worked in Van's favour and against the Blues.  The Canucks were able to create energy, the Blues weren't

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've played in front of crowds of 10000, how about you?

Rupert, yourself and a handful of other posters are typically where my eyes stop as I scroll through posts in these pages. Glad you are here to balance out discussion from cheering to something more related to the sport than just blind support. 

Insert a Don Cherry thumbs-up here. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

You are not them.  We have guys who seem to muster that energy/fuel from within.  I love that.

You can't take the caveman out of the modern human heh. There's  built in shame / reward mechanisms which are the result of our anscestors being "brought out in front of the tribe" that can't simply be turned off. Stage fright has its root in this.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

if not "strapped" certainly squeezed. Losing Sutter, Tanev and Toffoli to add Pietrangelo would have to work out very well. If Pietrangelo goes down to injury we've lost a lot of of team defensive structure. 

Tanev is injured more often than not. Toffoli was never really here. Sutter also has been injured more often than not. Adding Pietrangelo and losing those 3 players is not that big of a loss. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, xereau said:

You can't take the caveman out of the modern human heh. There's  built in shame / reward mechanisms which are the result of our anscestors being "brought out in front of the tribe" that can't simply be turned off. Stage fright has its root in this.

Which is where a good coach comes in.  And prepares his team, mentally for:  "The Big Bad Defending Champs".   Going into a hostile rink.  Etc.

This can be turned off.  Because it's rooted in anxiety and manufactured fear. of uncertainty.  That's an easy fix.

But I agree....Blues are cavemen.   :towel:

8 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Actually what happened was when he played for Utica in the AHL, they wrote his name wrong on the lineup card and announced him as Tony Strecher, it stuck LOL.

Reminds me of the Harold chants, this was done as a humorous response to a fan in Washington that would chant at Snepts sarcasticly. Of course in those days no one would go to Cap games and the arena was always quiet so you could hear this guy clearly. Canuck fans have always had the best humour and they turned his sarcastic chant into a constant home chant for Harold.

Harold Snepts was always a fan favourite in Vancouver.

During the same era there was Harold Philipoff on the New Westminister Bruins, an even meaner player in front of an even meaner crowd.  The "Harold" chants there were beyond awesome.

Edited by Maniwaki Canuck
clarification

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

To me that pretty much evens up no Tarasenko or Steen.   But agreed after that game they shouldn’t be making excuses or blaming goaltending - Allen wouldn’t have stopped all of those either.   We came in and outplayed the crap out of them until consecutive PPs were called to give them a chance ... and overall when you team leads for 16 minutes an entire series the better team won.   This team looks an awful lot like the Pens ones that recently one back-back cups, middling possession all counter-attack and nobody questioned them along the way.     It’s only one series (well two really) - Vegas isn’t as good as St Louis but are still a good team - the difference to me is they aren’t nearly as stacked on D as the first 10 games we’ve played - and sure they have some size but not that type of size either.   Won’t be easy ... but we play like we have so far and I like our chances. 

i feel like we might chase fleury out of net  hughes and petey and boeser on pp is gonna destroy vegas we just have to out skate them we should  be fine  toffoli back early in series and maybe myers by end of series will help im pretty pumped  that benning got us the depth    even if we get injured  macewen rafferty juolevi are all ready to go 

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Tanev is injured more often than not. Toffoli was never really here. Sutter also has been injured more often than not. Adding Pietrangelo and losing those 3 players is not that big of a loss. 

without TT going on a run we don't make the playoffs. Without Tanev and Sutter we don't win the last two series. You're really undervaluing their contributions imo, and over valuing P.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Now that I've regrouped I have to say:  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What makes all the difference with this team is how much they believe in each other.  Maybe away from all the distractions (that is NOT a Milsbury reference) is allowing them to really focus, bond, gel and come together as a group.

Sky's the limit.  If they continue to press like they have...to work, even when faced with adversity, they are something soooo special.  And this experience that they're gaining is HUGE.  But I'm with Green....screw that.  They're here TO WIN.

I truly believe that their character factors in strongly.  I don't think they point the finger or blame each other when they're down..I think they own it.  They're accountable and don't let ego get in the way.  We have guys like Petey and Quinn who could easily do that...just bask in the spotlight and act like they're special...but they don't.  They're some of the hardest workers on the team, on and off the ice.  

Marky's a huge factor and I always chime in with how critical goaltending is in the playoffs...can be a make/break thing.  But it's not everything...as we saw.  A team can also bail out a goalie when they do have an off night and our guys did that.

This really demonstrates how teams can have star players but playing as individual and expecting to do it alone doesn't always work.  Sure, individuals can rise up and put a team on their back (as Bo did) and take charge but, all in all, the team needs to be firing on all cylinders.  Everyone, from top to bottom, has to feel like their role is equally important.  Our bottom 6 is showing what that looks like. 

The entire team is blocking shots, fearlessly.  They weren't intimidated by the Big Bad Blues and their Resume.  If anything, it just made them rise to a level we hadn't seen on a sustained way like this before.  It's kind of amazing.

Edler....as we likely see him winding down, I feel I want to take a moment to really acknowledge and appreciate him.  He's stoic but he's a beast.  He has that same seriousness that instills a sense of calm...like Petey.  Must be something in that Viking blood.  He, like Bieksa when he was here, takes a lot of flack at times.  The fans do what the team doesn't...pins things on him when he does have an off game.  Everyone will be "off" at times in life.  It's called being human.  But he's stood tall for us on that blueline for so long...I so want him to hoist a cup.  Him being "back" last night was so important and he's taken his licks but keeps on ticking.  Love that guy.  Warrior.  (Tanev too)

Stech is all heart and those who feel like he isn't "big" enough to play...don't watch him play.  Again...not alwasy "perfect" but clutch when he is.

People really get on our D but they're getting it done.

I won't single guys out individually like this though...would be an entire essay (already is).  I just have so much appreciation at this point in life for this team giving me hope.  Something.  A lot of anxiety in the world and this is a safe place to unleash it all.  To cheer, to scream, to cowbell, to cry (damn that hype montage).  To "meet" with friends when we're not able to meet with friends.

I'm not asking for perfection from this team...but the effort that they put in obviously can take them places.  I just want to see that and then, whatever happens, I am satisfied.  This team's for real....and we're really only just setting out.  Good things to come.  I am so verklempt right now...."our boys" are making us so proud...aren't they?  Gah, get me some damn kleenex.....

Deb, you are heart and soul of these boards.., thank you

• Like 1

Keys to this series win from my point of view. 

Horvat dominates Game 1&2 to get the team believing this is possible and generally all our best players showed up behind him.  

Markstrom stands on his head game 5 Battle back from a seemingly overpowering Blues mid way I the second and never quit. Miller shows he’s a true leader of character  on the team (has been lock solid all year) willing that puck in the net to give us light then Motte comes out of the woodworks. 

Team now bonded from game five, full of confidence, gets a gutty performance from the third liners. Virtanen, Rousell, Beagle Play lights out when will need this against Vegas. 

We outplayed the blues on all faucets. Defence blocked more shots and contributes offensively.

We outplayed their team depth with out ROR line and Pietrangelo this team didn’t dominate us line for line

Our Goaltending was superior. 

Can this all transfer to the Vegas series. ???

Cant wait for Sunday game one!!!

Edited by Bertorama
  • Like 1

Just now, Robert Long said:

without TT going on a run we don't make the playoffs. Without Tanev and Sutter we don't win the last two series. You're really undervaluing their contributions imo, and over valuing P.

Grass is always greener stuff.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Robert Long said:

No, You're saying if Pietrangelo gets injured we are going to have problems. I am saying Tanev and Sutter and injury prone and Toffoli barely played.  I disagree that without Toffoli we don't make the playoffs. Our seeding might be different but I don't see us missing the play-in round had we not traded for Toffoli. I honestly don't think Tanev is going to play 70+ games next year.. I think we lucked out to have him healthy in the playoffs with how he plays and his durability. Which is why I am hesitant to offer him a market value contract.