The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] TOR moves Kapanen, Lindgren & Aberg to PIT for 2020 1st, Rodrigues, Hallander & Warsofsky

goalie13

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Next up for Dubas. Nylander to LA for Doughty. 

That trade makes most sense for both teams. LA still rebuilding and need to off load older star players for younger good players. Toronto needs a good defenceman. Only problem is Toronto can’t take that salary. LA would have to retain some and may want a pick for that. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Dubas would probably have to add, but Doughty is getting older. 

and uglier.

But losing him leaves LA with Hutton as their best d :unsure: TO doesn't really have the depth to trade the likely two d quality d prospect back it would take, along with floater and that 15th oa. 

I could be wrong for sure, but I see floater needing to go to a team that can afford to shelter him for regular season points. I don't see floater as a piece you rebuild with. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Saw it coming..it was just a matter of time.

I've been saying they'd move a 2nd tier guy to clear cap..  they were never going to move one of their top stars.. can't believe people on CDC were actually arguing one of Mathews or Marner would be traded.. 

Good trade for Leafs.. get 1st rounld pick which they previously did not have and cleared some cap space.

To be fair, most people said the Leafs “should” trade one of their top guys for a big haul including a top pairing D.

This move has just stopped the bleeding, and has t addressed improving the team.

Edited by Provost

That is one team that the flat cap is going to hit harder than us.

They are going to need to rebuild the D, find an actual goaltender and fill in forwards around their big four.

I just can't see any way they can actually keep all of the big four and suspect Kapanen is just the first to be moved, pretty boy is next.

They now have a first they can play with, that along with double flamingo they can probably fill one of their holes but are going to need some prospects to step up.

If Calgary gets Hall and puts Gaudreau on the market there will really be some competition for teams that are looking for soft forwards that fade when things get tough.

Pittsburgh is going to run out of time soon, as they haven't had a first rounder since 2014 (Kapanen ironically).

Good start for Toronto, but they still do need to improve their defense, and I don't think this trade puts Nylander out of play.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Dubas would probably have to add, but Doughty is getting older. 

I agree.  Just from a cap standpoint, a Nylander for Doughty swap would not work.  Doughty's cap hit is $11M.  If that deal were to go down, then the Leafs would probably need to move Marner instead of Nylander which would be a HUGE change for them.  I'm not sure it'd be worth it given the fact that, as you pointed out, Doughty is getting older.  He's already 31 this year.

There's no doubt the Leafs still need to make moves and I could see Nylander being the next guy out.  Pietrangelo is not much younger than Doughty but if the Leafs can somehow sign him, then that would be a very helpful add to their blueline.  The main thing they would need to is move out cap to make that happen.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

He sounds pretty sure of it.  We will see if this comes to fruition.

Edit:  Here's the deal:

Is anyone else confused by this? Why would they trade one of their few good cap hit contracts and not get a dman? How does Dubas have a job?

He literally traded their "steal" of a draft pick in the first round, Lindgren, for a pick in the same position a few years later and then added Kasperi Kapanen got 2 nobodies and a prospect back.. 

Edited by peaches5

11 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Is anyone else confused by this? Why would they trade one of their few good cap hit contracts and not get a dman? How does Dubas have a job?

He literally traded their "steal" of a draft pick in the first round, Lindgren, for a pick in the same position a few years later and then added Kasperi Kapanen got 2 nobodies and a prospect back.. 

They may use the pick to acquire another Dman try free agency for one. 

15 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I think you are thinking of the wrong Lindgren, this one is a 4th rounder. Looking at the stats he doesn't look too special, but maybe a steady stay at home type. It will be pretty funny if Pittsburgh is somehow able to turn him into a serviceable top 4 defenseman. B)

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Toews said:

I think you are thinking of the wrong Lindgren, this one is a 4th rounder. Looking at the stats he doesn't look too special, but maybe a steady stay at home type. It will be pretty funny if Pittsburgh is somehow able to turn him into a serviceable top 4 defenseman. B)

Fair enough. I did think that.  I still think Kapanen was one of their better cheap forwards.

Edited by peaches5

27 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Pittsburgh has gotta go for it while Crosby and Malkin can still be top players.

I don't feel for Pens fans though, the Pens will likely be bad for a while in the years to come but they got three cups in ten years. 

Nah, they will somehow drop 12 spots and win the draft lottery first year missing the playoffs