The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

59 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I've been trying to figure out whats at he heart of (what I see as) the over reaction by some to BLM. I haven't seen anyone against it on here be really honest about their motivations for having such a strong negative reaction to it. 

I wonder if comes out of the thinking that there's only so much success to go around, and allowing others into the party means less for you? what is it that people think is being taken away from them? 

I think a lot of it has to do with the looting and property damages the protest, not necessarily the protestors themselves, has done to himes and more importantly small businesses. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stelar said:

Can someone fill me in on why they can't just have one eastern and one western conference game each day. Seems pretty simple.  East game at 6 EST and West game at 9 EST

My guess is because it's not an 8 day week.  They are probably trying to line things up so they have the best matchups on the best TV days later in the schedule.

By having G7 of the western series on Friday you could potentially have the Eastern Final start on Saturday and the Western Final start on Sunday.  Or if the NYI/PHI series goes 7 games, the Eastern Final could start Monday.

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

"Come for hockey. 
Leave a racist"

that's why you're part of the problem, and thats why the players are taking a stand, and the vancouver canucks themselves said "this is bigger than hockey" but, no, you're mildly inconvenienced. poor you

You are calling people racist in here, that’s not helping anything, at all.

Its not progressive, nor is conflating my distain for your labelling of others as my being part of any problem concerning racism. 

Your conviction is what you will hopefully learn to manage when you discuss your own perceptions with others. 

I have no comment on BLM really, rather just how you are engaging the forum to state your convictions. 

I wonder what the result would be in here if called everyone I disagreed with about the Sedins, pedofiles, for instance? 

Seems ok today to slander anyone who doesn’t agree with you with the title of racist. Why not pedofile?

Seems about as useful a tactic for bulling someone to quickly bend a knee or be shamed by your label. I see shaming and violent coerciveness in these  riots, I mean peaceful protests, be it in response to climate or whatever. Nobody would deny that tactic as being a fact, unless you’re actually blind. 

Quite the new normal, as the saying goes, you bunch of pedofilies, err, racists! 
Imagine? 

There are better ways to make a point than to slander people, sir. Give it a whirl. 

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

No. 

Yes it is. It's also much bigger than that one case.

What's to say they're politically rushed? 

There are no ongoing riots and police resources are not maxed out. 

All relevant - it's not a competition. 

Part of the problem, yes. 

Portland has been non stop riots for months and I mentioned politically rushed because these investigations usually take much longer. They usually collect all the facts before the case before making such decisions (such as reviewing all witness statements, video canvassing, ballistic forensic identification reports, etc). All that takes a lot of time.

7 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Giving retribution to Reaves and Horvat for initiating this 2 day pause??

What? Why?

Should there ever be a discovery that Bettman went against the movement on purpose, his entire career is over.

No need.

Edited by Me_

1 hour ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

maybe read through this thread on some of the absolute horrible, fake woke and privileged takes on a human rights matter that the majority of us will not understand. but for most of the people commenting in this thread, there's that "BUT" sitting in the back of your mind, and that is still the problem

if you don't get it, educate yourselves. you're sure as hell not gonna find it here

It's not that I don't get it, I completely get it.

What I am opposed to is people like yourself who try to force change through bullying and intimidation. rather than open and honest conversation and information.

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I think a lot of it has to do with the looting and property damages the protest, not necessarily the protestors themselves, has done to himes and more importantly small businesses. 

well, most people don't like looting. I don't see how that de-legitimizes BLM, they aren't out there asking people to destroy property. 

Forgive the superficial comparison, but it reminds me of other fan bases that blame "Canucks fans" for the 2011 riots. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Portland has been non stop riots for months and I mentioned politically rushed because these investigations usually take much longer. They usually collect all the facts before the case before making such decisions (such as reviewing all witness statements, video canvassing, ballistic forensic identification reports, etc). All that takes a lot of time.

Protests, not riots. 

I think you're making assumptions about the investigation time - there's no way you know that. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

wut?

82 games and an injured roster to start the playoffs isn’t the same path to the cup as this Cup. 

Remember that one Boston Marathon where that one female runner just appeared out of the crowd and started running the final stretch to the finish line? :ph34r:

That’s a similar lack of physical abuse which NHL players have had to put out to get to the final stretch (playoffs). This changes the path and thus the brutal journey. 

A level playing field to start this playoffs just makes it a sprint instead of a marathon, which is why I called it the cheaters cup, not that I’m standing by the title, more so the change in the physical process to get there. 

No nagging injuries, injured stars or the like... that’s just not the same thing, and not the same path to glory in my books. 

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

82 games and an injured roster to start the playoffs isn’t the same path to the cup as this Cup. 

Remember that one Boston Marathon where that one female runner just appeared out of the crowd and started running the final stretch to the finish line? :ph34r:

That’s a similar lack of physical abuse which NHL players have had to put out to get to the final stretch (playoffs). This changes the path and thus the brutal journey. 

A level playing field to start this playoffs just makes it a sprint instead of a marathon, which is why I called it the cheaters cup, not that I’m standing by the title, more so the change in the physical process to get there. 

No nagging injuries, injured stars or the like... that’s just not the same thing, and not the same path to glory in my books. 

I guess my issue is the word "cheater". I don't see how that applies when everyone is in the same situation. The quality of play has arguably been much better than a lot of years too. 

Look at the sacrifice the guys have made just to get to game 3 of round 2. I don't know how you can look at that and think "cheater".

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

I've been trying to figure out whats at he heart of (what I see as) the over reaction by some to BLM. I haven't seen anyone against it on here be really honest about their motivations for having such a strong negative reaction to it. 

I wonder if comes out of the thinking that there's only so much success to go around, and allowing others into the party means less for you? what is it that people think is being taken away from them? 

My friend posted an image and it read like this

I support my black friends, but not the blm

I support my white friends, but not the kkk

I don't support hate groups.

Skin color doesn't mean squat, you're either a good person or a pos.

End of story

hows yall WEXIT thing going?

Is that the western canada separatist thing? 

I THOUGHT THAT WAS A JOKE!:lol:

"Come for hockey. 
Leave a racist"

that's why you're part of the problem, and thats why the players are taking a stand, and the vancouver canucks themselves said "this is bigger than hockey" but, no, you're mildly inconvenienced. poor you

Im not sure he means that because of taking two days off to support the black community and minoritys has made him racist.

I think he meant that disagreeing with some posters have labeled him as such.

But i could be wrong

118306979_3494157093949570_5947131942447533270_n.jpg

Edited by GhostsOf1994
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2