The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

9 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Hard to say which of Joulevi Rathbone or Woo will turn out to be the best defencemen. Could go any which way really 

honestly i don't think Woo's play will translate into the NHL, I see him as a 5-6th defenceman at best.

so if Arizona sees value in him, id rather we do that instead of Juolevi/Rathbone. 

• Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Apparently OEL was asked to expand his list and he said no.

the Sedins must be texting him  :bigblush: It's not tampering if they're retired right?

Edited by Trebreh
  • Haha 4

So if we retain on Baer or Sutter (1yr remain) or Loui 2 yr remain... and they retain say 1m on Oliver Twist after we sweeten the pot.. what happens when they go bankrupt next year when the NHL go bubble mode again and they don’t have the $$ to get through another year of low inflow...? 

2 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Yes exactly. Then he becomes Vancouver's problem. 

No. They do not "need" to trade him. It is what they would prefer, but they don't absolutely "need" to do it this offseason.

They also don't "need" to trade him to Vancouver. 

Those are the "facts".

A top pair D isn't a 'problem'.

I beg to differ, they've had trouble paying their bills, they need to move him.

Nope, Vancouver or Boston (who evidently aren't as engaged. He has a trade clause. So yeah.... facts

• Cheers 2

I dunno why people think Arizona is desperate to trade OEL they only have 58mil in actual salary they have committed trading OEL for all the trash people here are offering saves them almost nothing and there's nothing to gain out of it either. They can easily hold on to OEL and trade him later if the coyotes sucks and he finally gives up and want to leave. Trading OEL for Eriksson Baertishi and spare parts they save really no money on salary.. and they are basically already at the cap floor with couple more players to sign. They have no need nor rush to move OEL. Unlike vancouver whos desperate to move salary or lose a few key players to free agency.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Apparently OEL was asked to expand his list and he said no.

Why should he, one year into an 8 year deal?

Another factor we haven't really talked much about - is the No Movement Clause that runs to the last day of that deal.

It doesn't modify to an NTC - he can't be waived for the 7 year duration....

Is that something this team needs to renegotiate in order to make the contract more palatable?

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

A top pair D isn't a 'problem'.

I beg to differ, they've had trouble paying their bills, they need to move him.

Nope, Vancouver or Boston (who evidently aren't as engaged. He has a trade clause. So yeah.... facts

The contract becomes a “problem” in the player’s latter years as I already mentioned.

Just so you know, they can make moves that aren’t secluded to just trading OEL. There are other players on the team and pieces that a GM can move. 

There are some more “facts” for you.

2 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

The contract becomes a “problem” in the player’s latter years as I already mentioned.

Just so you know, they can make moves that aren’t secluded to just trading OEL. There are other players on the team and pieces that a GM can move. 

There are some more “facts” for you.

So now you're a time traveler from the future on top of your 'facts'?

OEL could very well be a valuable top 4 for the duration of his contract. If not, the contract is very buyout friendly the last couple years.

Do they? Who? Stepan? They're forked and massively bleeding cash with a lack of saleable players. Where's your work? Show the saleable players.

Your 'facts' continue to be a bunch of hooey.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

what makes Benning a fool?  for negotiating or showing interest?  I'm not saying he's a fool to negotiate, at all - I'm saying this is not a deal that makes particular sense for this team, so mkaing it happen would require a lot of compromise on the part of an Arizona lacking leverage.

Realistically FMV does not make sense for us - not even close.  And probably not for Boston either, although on the surface it would appear to make more sense for them.

How do we know Boston made an offer or that it was not a lowball?

Arizona are in no position to acquire picks for contracts - they have no cap space  first of all - they'd have to clear it to re-use it - and they can't afford the salaries - they can't spend money to buy picks.

The cap they want to dump - is into a market where cap space has increased in relative value....it's not an easy set of circumstances for them, and imo they have far more dead/bad cap than we do, without the futures this team has.  They want to acquire futures, but they don't have the ability to simply eat cap - and they don't have particularly moveable cap themselves,  aside from OEL or perhaps, Goligoski.   Who wants Kessel right now?  How do they move Hjalmarsson?  How easy a sell is 6.5 million, 28 pt Stepan?

I think they have less leverage than you're suggesting.

ARI just needs to get through the next season as a lot of their players become UFA. 

In the 21-22 season, they will have tons of cap space.  Currently projected at 45M cap space for that season.

Arizona is apparently looking for a similar deal to what Buffalo got for O’Reilly a couple of years ago, so this is my guess...

Vancouver: Ekman-Larsson

Arizona: Sutter, Baertschi, Virtanen, Lind, 2nd 

Sutter = Berglund

Baertschi = Sobotka

Virtanen > Thompson

Lind, 2nd < 1st

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Why should he, one year into an 8 year deal?

Another factor we haven't really talked much about - is the No Movement Clause that runs to the last day of that deal.

It doesn't modify to an NTC - he can't be waived for the 7 year duration....

Is that something this team needs to renegotiate in order to make the contract more palatable?

It’s been a long while since I checked the CBA’s language but doesn’t full NMC technically negate any possibility of a buyout since the legal language means they can’t place the player on waivers even for the purposes of a buyout?  I’m assuming there is an exemption built into the CBA that allows for the placing on waivers solely for the purposes of a buyout but am I mistaken in that assumption?

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

honestly i don't think Woo's play will translate into the NHL, I see him as a 5-6th defenceman at best.

so if Arizona sees value in him, id rather we do that instead of Juolevi/Rathbone. 

I would too. But I think all 3 are pretty close to the same level as prospects go with Rathbone and OJ with the edge. You never really know until it happens though.

I guess what I’m trying to say is whoever we may trade outta the 3 we still have the possibility of having the better Dman in the end. I personally want to keep OJ if possible. I think I just want to see him succeed after these years of waiting 

Edited by Devron44
  • Like 1

I like OEL because I know he’s better than his recent play. Playing in that joke of a franchise and that defensive system can take a toll. He’d be reinvigorated in VAN

It sucky he’s a lefty, but if we wanted to swing bigger in would include boeser and this deal improves our blueline and we keep boeser

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So now you're a time traveler from the future on top of your 'facts'?

OEL could very well be a valuable top 4 for the duration of his contract. If not, the contract is very buyout friendly the last couple years.

Do they? Who? Stepan? They're forked and massively bleeding cash with a lack of saleable players. Where's your work? Show the saleable players.

Your 'facts' continue to be a bunch of hooey.

“Time traveler from the future”. Lol. If you didn’t know, usually being in a scenario that gets a team stuck paying 8.25 million to a 35-36 year old player is not an ideal situation to be in. 

You seriously can’t think of any? 
Ok. Makes sense. You don’t know that a GM is potentially capable of making other deals. 

Yeah. Why not trade Stepan? He can be a useful veteran presence on a playoff team looking for a rental. Same with Goligoski. We’ve seen players like Perry and Pavelski and their impact on the Stars. Also, Stepan and Goligoski only have a year left on each of their deals so it wouldn’t hurt the other teams that much. That gives Arizona around 13 million in cap space. 

You’d think that from OEL’s standpoint, if he can’t even be paid his money properly, let alone win, he’d be the first one willing to be traded to any team and leave this “bleeding” franchise. He’s literally declined to play anywhere except Boston, Vancouver or Arizona. Meaning he would still choose to stay in Arizona other than 29 other teams. 

But hey. “They’re forked, massively bleeding with cash”. Ok. Keep pressing that panic button chicken little. 

3 minutes ago, billabong said:

I like OEL because I know he’s better than his recent play. Playing in that joke of a franchise and that defensive system can take a toll. He’d be reinvigorated in VAN

It sucky he’s a lefty, but if we wanted to swing bigger in would include boeser and this deal improves our blueline and we keep boeser

100% agree with you there. I’d actually be willing to bet a fair amount of money that OEL would have a career season playing in our system. I know his best is 55 points, but he hasn’t played with budding superstars like we have before. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BPA said:

On HFBOARDS...yes that other forum.  They say Markstrom and OEL are good friends.  Maybe if we get OEL, we get Markstrom on a team friendly deal.

Wishful thinking I know. 

It’s possible Marky is going to have a hard time leaving if he’s offered a fair deal. After the Lehner signing.. tough to say. Does he want to go to Detroit and do this rebuild all over again? It was his first taste of playoffs and his career is half over. Be interesting to see what happens