The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

2 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

I have been here since 2008 (was under a different account that I lost access to) and learned that any thread with more than 100 pages usually results in nothing lol. 

Whatever the outcome, I don't think this one dies an easy death though. We'll be poking this bear for a while yet.

24 minutes ago, rekker said:

OEL is a great skater, better than Eddy ever was and Eddy is still effective at his age. OEL will still be a strong dman at 35 to 37 and a great dman 29 to 35. The kind of dman that is very difficult to aquire and one we don't have in the prospect pool.

Eddy was on shorter contracts and never cost us anywhere near $8.25 million dollars. He fit our systems, we knew what we were getting (flaws and all) and never cost us prospects and draft picks. Not really fair to compare the two. 

1 minute ago, canuckster19 said:

It was likely a few hundred pages until we got a Sundin decision, I remember that, that was wild.

There was one night in the middle of October or November where it was confirmed a month or so before it actually happened and everyone went bananas, even though it was a false alarm.

Man I totally remember that! One of the more exciting and weird times on CDC lol. 

2 minutes ago, zimmy said:

Whatever the outcome, I don't think this one dies an easy death though. We'll be poking this bear for a while yet.

We have a habit of doing that, but that might change if GMJB somehow makes a deal for a different dman or straight up signs one (although only comparable UFA is AP).

• Upvote 1

Just now, Blitz-Pix said:

Eddy was on shorter contracts and never cost us anywhere near $8.25 million dollars. He fit our systems, we knew what we were getting (flaws and all) and never cost us prospects and draft picks. Not really fair to compare the two. 

How do you propose obtaining a quality, top end, top two, possibly number one on some teams dman? They will all want term. Trades cost assets. 

Lowball only.   Serious lowball.

Look at the assets going for nothing, getting bought out, or moving for 4th and 5th round picks....

Stastny  for a 4th......who was rented for a 1st, 4th, Fole...still every bit as effective...

The Coyotes don't appear to be reading the market.  Hoping to 'rebuild' and move that contract at the same time?....with no leverage...

Don't bend a whiff.  Lowball, period.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Silky mitts said:

Arizona want's Demko, hog or pod. Jim is saying no.

Proud of you jim , don't bend!

Ya I would lose my $&!# if we traded any of them. Better not DiPietro either lol. He's gonna be our cheap backup once our new two year Ufa backup tender leaves.

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

How do you propose obtaining a quality, top end, top two, possibly number one on some teams dman? They will all want term. Trades cost assets. 

Don't really need one.

Edler

Hughes.

Juolevi Fantenburg Rathbone....

Far more need on the right side.

Don't need to make this deal.  Only make it if it's a lowball.  So many teams taking haircuts on their assets - the Coyotes need to be prepared to do the same, or keep him.

Sign Tanev.  Sign Markstrom.

Put this on the backburner at best.  Lowball, take it or leave it - we're moving on.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Arizona want's Demko, hog or pod. Jim is saying no.

Proud of you jim , don't bend!

People can say what they want about Benning, but when has he ever dealt a top prospect?   He has dealt a 1st - but we don't really know who that pick would have been had they retained it, and in the end it has/had the mean value of a 20th overall - probably 25-30% odds, give or take...to consider that comparable to the value of JT Miller - would be way off.

I know some people here thought Shinkaruk - and McCann - were that - but if anyone can name a prospect he has dealt that turned out to hurt the franchise, I'm all ears.

This would be a first.  I might make an exception for OEL - but it would be one asset - not the ROR type comparables they are attempting to finesse in a very different context.

Edited by oldnews

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

My post was about comparing the 2 defensemen (OEL and Eddy)

I'm all for acquiring a top end defenseman when the time is right. Whether that be through trades, UFA, drafting or development. 

We need to clear our dead cap money, if we can't we take our lumps make smaller trades until our dead money contracts get traded or expire,  most of which expires in next year or 2.

We're not the only team experiencing cap crunch right now, teams are going to have to move money around and like it or not some will have to move top end blue liners. 

Top end D-Men come available every other year and I dont see that changing anytime soon with the flat Cap. 

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

People can say what they want about Benning, but when has he ever dealt a top prospect?  

I know people here thought Shinkaruk - and McCann - were all that - but if anyone can name a prospect he has dealt that turned out to hurt the franchise, I'm all ears.

This would be a first.  I might make an exception for OEL - but it would be one asset - not the ROR type comparables they are attempting to finesse in a very different context.

Yeah you need to give to get and while the Canucks are in a position of strength they would still need to pay a handsome amount to land a top tier defenseman like Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

I also don't buy that this waiting is handcuffing the team moving forward, there are multiple trade talks, potential signings, and open lines of communication with each team and agent around.

It is not the end of the world should a better prospect be dealt when an opportunity to add a top dman is the price, then again I am with you @oldnews I would like a right side option coming in to address and balance Vancouvers defense.

• Cheers 3

Maybe we don't even need to sign Tanev, Markstrom, etc; maybe its time to build cap space and take care of the obligations we have already undertaken so that we are free of them in the future.

Bound to be a goofy year anyway; we should still make the playoffs; and then "anything can happen" etc.

I don't think we are in a hurry to sign any free agents right away; JB & Co are assessing the market, and it has only begun to crash.