The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

42 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

they haven't traded Krugs rights yet so who knows whats going on there. 

This is getting interesting. Any deal that has Loui going one way and OEL coming our way has to be good, no? 

100 percent. It's why if we add extra It's worth it. Im ok with almost anything as long as Hogs and Pods aren't involved. Gonna be tough though.

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Arizona is better off trying to trade OEL to TO for Matthews.  And TO is desperate to get into the playoffs and go deep.

OEL + Kessel

For 

Matthews + 2nd 2020.

Matthews would be going "home" to his condo too.  Much to the dismay of the security guards there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

They also said anyone over 30 is on the block.  If they don’t really want to move OEL... then we just don’t do a deal.  It is probably reasonable to think if this became public it is because the player wanted it public.

We are also in a world where it is unlikely there are fans in the stands in most markets for a good portion of the next season.  Arizona is going to bleed money badly, so ditching cash could be a high priority.

Honestly, the potential return is going to be hampered by the availability of Pietrangelo and Krug as UFAs a little more than a week from now.  They are comparable as far as the term and dollars you would have to invest, and you don’t have to give up any futures.  The only reason it makes sense for us is that we would be able to move our significant cap liabilities going forward.

Yup, they have little leverage given the circumstances. 

Add to that now the leaked info it's limited to Vancouver/Boston as the potential suitors and the only way Vancouver makes this deal, is if it clearly makes sense to us. If it doesn't, we simply don't make any deal.

That's not too say we wouldn't be willing to give up some value but if they're expecting a home run...

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

100 percent. It's why if we add extra It's worth it. Im ok with almost anything as long as Hogs and Pods aren't involved. Gonna be tough though.

I suspect at least one of Hoglander and Rathbone would be part of this. Which stings a heck of a lot. If its both then I wouldn't want a 1st going as well. 

14 minutes ago, BPA said:

Arizona is better off trying to trade OEL to TO for Matthews.  And TO is desperate to get into the playoffs and go deep.

OEL + Kessel

For 

Matthews + 2nd 2020.

TO's not on OELs list (if Freidman is to be believed). It feels like OEL is pulling a "kesler" here in limited teams. Which is great for us or Boston. 

I actually wouldn't mind this, if the deal is right.

By right, I mean that the Canucks are able to dump Eriksson, or both Baertschi and Sutter, either in the trade for OEL, or another trade.  Arizona would also need to retain salary for this to make sense.  With the assets the Canucks would have to include to make this happen, unless Phoenix is desperate to move him, I don't see it happening.

• Cheers 1

If Arizona’s in a corner with this and 

a) we move LE and

b) it’s not a huge price

Then I’m all for the deal. Yeah OEL has a big long contract but he may just need a new scene. It’s risky but if they can move LE I’m in. Will be disappointed if we spend big though and more if LE can’t be moved in the deal

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm with iMac on this one

We all saw the gaping need for another true top pairing guy. Adding him to a top 4 with Hughes, Edler and Myers is huge. I prefer OJ over Rathbone but both have a very low chance of becoming as good as OEL. If it costs us Jake, Rathbone, A 1st, a 2nd and Stech or Woo, so be it if that brings in a guy like him and gets LE off the books. We all saw our window officially open, bonus was Benning getting to see who are what needs to be upgraded and it's pretty obvious getting better on D was #1. 

Plus we have so much money off the books plus minor trades or a buyout etc still allows Benning cap space while getting rid of LE and upgrading our Achilles heal. 

I am assuming LE has to be included in any deal or a combo of that cap space.

14 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

We already have Hughes. No thanks.

We can’t be the team with just Hughes though. I get what your saying but JB working phones to improve the defence. Let’s just hope it’s more of a cap move deal if something does happen and not trading away too many assets

• Like 1