The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blues trade Jake Allen, 2022 7th-round pick to Canadiens for 2020, 3rd-round pick, 2020 7th-round pick

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Too much money for a backup.

I get that they want a backup that can play more games so Price isn’t burned out but that’s way too much money tied in goalies.

Blues had to make a move to re-sign Pietrangelo so good deal for them. Looks like we’ll be seeing lots more Binnington :bigblush:

They had the cap space and it cost them nothing to get him. Allen only has 1 year left. That gives Primeau time to develop then step in as a low cost back-up next season.  Who cares if they have too much tied up in goaltending for one season.  A rested Price and a backup they can actually expect to win games could allow them to have a very solid season.  And once in the playoffs a rested Price is worth a lot 

So here is a question for everyone that is relatively on topic.  This won't happen but if Carey Price was placed on waivers would you take him?  Personally I wouldn't due to his age and remaining contract cost and duration.  Begs the question to me based on that on whether Carey Price (With contract) has neutral value?  Still one of the top goalies in the game still, but the contract is a factor. 

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

So here is a question for everyone that is relatively on topic.  This won't happen but if Carey Price was placed on waivers would you take him?  Personally I wouldn't due to his age and remaining contract cost and duration.  Begs the question to me based on that on whether Carey Price (With contract) has neutral value?  Still one of the top goalies in the game still, but the contract is a factor. 

Like you said. Won’t happen. 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

They had the cap space and it cost them nothing to get him. Allen only has 1 year left. That gives Primeau time to develop then step in as a low cost back-up next season.  Who cares if they have too much tied up in goaltending for one season.  A rested Price and a backup they can actually expect to win games could allow them to have a very solid season.  And once in the playoffs a rested Price is worth a lot 

They could have used that cap space for other areas that they need to fill.

This does little to get them over the hump.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They could have used that cap space for other areas that they need to fill.

This does little to get them over the hump.

I disagree. It addresses an area of real concern and does it in a way that frees up the cap space in a year.  They’ll have some RFA’s to resign at that point. This leaves them the flexibility they need going forward while dramatically improving the team right now. 

9 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would imagine Pietrangelo is around 8.5 which is a 2 mil raise.  To me their key focus would be trying to move out Bozak to reclaim the cap even if they have to pay to make him go away.  If Pietrangelo asks for 10 then they would walk away 100%.  I think they needed a solid 1B type goalie in Allen, so this could start the decline of St Louis already.

I read an article on NHL.com not that long ago and he basically wants a full NMC. I think St.Louis will offer him with an 8 year front loaded, bonus heavy contract with an average around 8m. If he goes to FA he is going to easily get the same contract with a 10M average at 7 years. Colorado will be able to offer him well above market value if they really wanted to and he is a someone they desperately need.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Has to be a cap dump. On straight value, that's an insane steal for the Canadiens. Allen is still a solid starter IMO.

He is great in the bubble. Tends to struggle in large arenas at times. A great backup tho!

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

He is great in the bubble. Tends to struggle in large arenas at times. A great backup tho!

He sometimes struggles with consistency, I'll give you that. In 2017-18 and 2018-19, he was quite underwhelming, but this last year in 2019-20, he did excel as a backup. You might be right that he'll struggle with 40+ games, but he was very good this year in his 24 games--better than Binnington, though of course Binnington had a much larger workload at 50 games.

Very good trade for Montreal. Allen is not just a back-up but he can be a good 1A/1B tandem with Carey Price. Price still sharp when he is well rested. This also gives more time to Cayden Primeau, who will be there goalie of the future. Primeau can spend another year in development, and at the end of next season when Allen's contract is up and becomes a UFA, Primeau will be the back-up for Price. 

This could also mean that we get to light up Binnington every time we play the Blues from here onward :lol:

Edited by ruilin96
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

The Canadiens now have $15 million committed to 2 goalies over the next 2 years.  This team needs a lot of things, and I don't see how carrying that much salary at goalie will get them where they want to be.

1 year not 2.   

43 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

It’s only 1 season and Montreal has the cap space to make to move.  It could pay huge dividends.  Also. It was cheap because there was no retention or money going back to St Louis.  

There are enough teams desperate to shed cap that the space could be used a lot more wisely.

there are probably a dozen Miller type deals out there to be had.