The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blues trade Jake Allen, 2022 7th-round pick to Canadiens for 2020, 3rd-round pick, 2020 7th-round pick

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

It’s one season.  Montreal hasn’t spent to the cap in 3 years.  So what does it matter? Yes. It’s a pricy tandem for a year.  But if that money wasn’t being spent anyway then it’s a great investment 

you're rationalizing a little because you tend to like whatever Montreal does, but you can't deny this trade while shoring up one area does close other doors. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

you're rationalizing a little because you tend to like whatever Montreal does, but you can't deny this trade while shoring up one area does close other doors. 

Montreal needed a backup regardless.  So let’s say they found this reliable cheaper 1 year backup rental for $2.5m. 

What top 6 winger were they going to pick up with the extra $2m that makes them so much better than having a legit 1b backup?  Yes. They’re paying a lot for 1 year.  But it buys them time for their young guys to develop without making a long term salary commitment 

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would imagine Pietrangelo is around 8.5 which is a 2 mil raise.  To me their key focus would be trying to move out Bozak to reclaim the cap even if they have to pay to make him go away.  If Pietrangelo asks for 10 then they would walk away 100%.  I think they needed a solid 1B type goalie in Allen, so this could start the decline of St Louis already.

Yeah I think it would be Bozak and Alex Steen to be moved (they had him on 4th line role despite his big price tag).

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Same cap hits, one is three years younger and won them a cup.

Not a tough decision for the Blues even if he looked bad in our series.

Idk, nothing really tells me Binnington's career isn't going towards the same path as Jim Carrey's.

51 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal needed a backup regardless.  So let’s say they found this reliable cheaper 1 year backup rental for $2.5m. 

What top 6 winger were they going to pick up with the extra $2m that makes them so much better than having a legit 1b backup?  Yes. They’re paying a lot for 1 year.  But it buys them time for their young guys to develop without making a long term salary commitment 

so is next year a development year or a playoff year? 

its a good move from a player depth perspective. It handcuffs them on other options, e.g., like adding players for a deep run. Not sure why you feel the need to defend it so hard, its obvious it creates some cap inflexibility. 

3 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Wow, that is quite the steal for Montreal.  Allen may not be quite the starter he was pegged to be, but he is certainly close.  This completely solidifies the goaltending in Montreal.  Not sure what St Louis is doing other than telling Binnington that "he is the guy" after these playoffs.

Honestly, you can't based your evaluation of a player based on less than 10 games in a completely unconventional season/playoffs...and a goalie no less, being a creature of habits.

IMO, Allen is nothing more than a very good, but expensive backup.  He proved during his prime that he wasn't cut out to be a #1.

3 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

so is next year a development year or a playoff year? 

its a good move from a player depth perspective. It handcuffs them on other options, e.g., like adding players for a deep run. Not sure why you feel the need to defend it so hard, its obvious it creates some cap inflexibility. 

Because it’s 1 year and it solves way more issues than it creates. 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Because it’s 1 year and it solves way more issues than it creates. 

um, maybe? MTL has one of the lightest F groups in the league, they will need to add to it. And given Bergevin's history we have more reason to suspect it'll be another disappointing year for them. 

Sucks to pay a goalie as much as PricE and need to spend big on a 1b.
There have been rumours of Price going to the Kraken. Don’t know if any validity to it but I think given what happened with Fleury it makes a certain amount of sense.  
Why bother shuffling around 7th rounders. 

Just now, Robert Long said:

um, maybe? MTL has one of the lightest F groups in the league, they will need to add to it. And given Bergevin's history we have more reason to suspect it'll be another disappointing year for them. 

And this deal doesn’t prevent them from addressing that through other transactions.  But it does address a huge weakness in lineup. The extra $2m or so bring did you a 1B goalie isn’t going to be the tipping point. 

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Sucks to pay a goalie as much as PricE and need to spend big on a 1b.
There have been rumours of Price going to the Kraken. Don’t know if any validity to it but I think given what happened with Fleury it makes a certain amount of sense.  
Why bother shuffling around 7th rounders. 

that would be a mistake imo. That 10.5 mil AAV for 6 more years says nyet, unless MTL really adds to move him. 

Just now, qwijibo said:

And this deal doesn’t prevent them from addressing that through other transactions.  But it does address a huge weakness in lineup. The extra $2m or so bring did you a 1B goalie isn’t going to be the tipping point. 

OK well, lets remember this next time you criticize Bennings deals :lol:

I don't think the Blues kept the wrong goaltender, but having two good goalies was a great situation for them. Guess they have to resign Pietrangelo. 

Habs now have so much money tied up in goaltenders, but if they aren't spending that money elsewhere, may as well get help for Price.

5 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

OK well, lets remember this next time you criticize Bennings deals :lol:

I don’t recall criticizing any of Bennings deals. I have however ranted over a couple of Bergevin s deals. Lol 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Decent backups can be had for well under $2 million, especially in a depressed market.

Teams like Tampa are going to be giving away top 6 forwards because they Nd and afford them.  Being able to eat an extra $3 million in cap during trades can get you a big return this offseason.  Either a player who is an upgrade or a high pick that can be flipped for an upgrade.

Teams with cap space this summer have the chance of dramatically retooling their lineup.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Decent backups can be had for well under $2 million, especially in a depressed market.

Teams like Tampa are going to be giving away top 6 forwards because they Nd and afford them.  Being able to eat an extra $3 million in cap during trades can get you a big return this offseason.  Either a player who is an upgrade or a high pick that can be flipped for an upgrade.

Teams with cap space this summer have the chance of dramatically retooling their lineup.

I'm more interested in which F now has to go from St Louis to make Pietrangelo a good offer AND fill in some minor depth. My guess is Bozak will be the one to go.