The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers interested in Penquins G Matt Murray

Mackcanuck

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Why wouldn't coilers just wait for UFA's ?  Holtby, Crawford, Lehner, Marky, Greiss, ect....someone's going to be available eventually.

maybe. Some years are weird tho and the best players are off the board early. Edmonton doesn't seem to be in much of a hurry which might come back to bite them.

33 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Why wouldn't coilers just wait for UFA's ?  Holtby, Crawford, Lehner, Marky, Greiss, ect....someone's going to be available eventually.

10 million free to resign 3 forwards, 2 d-men and a goalie.  Ethan Bear, Matthew Benning, Anathanisou, Riley Sheahan and Tyler Ennis should eat up at least 7 or 8.  

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

10 million free to resign 3 forwards, 2 d-men and a goalie.  Ethan Bear, Matthew Benning, Anathanisou, Riley Sheahan and Tyler Ennis should eat up at least 7 or 8.  

How do they expect to sign Murray who I believe is rfa and likely looking for a substantial raise?  Is it going to be salary in = salary out wt a follow up trade ?

The more trades that happen for goalies the better.  Every possible landing spot for Markstrom that get removed lowers his leverage.

Kuemper, MAF, Matt Murray, those are all names in trade rumours... if those happen before a Markstrom signing, it takes away half the teams who could afford Markstrom and need a starting goalie.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Honestly, I'd do the same...the first goalie to sign will get the big contracts...which probably won't live up to it.   Edmonton doesn't have the cap space to be overly aggressive on the front...their best strategy is to wait and see and sign someone short term, like Chicago did with Lehner, or trade for a guy like Murray once Pittsburgh lower their asking price.  Anyways that would be my strategy.  They can't afford to make a mistake and lock up an underachiever for a long-time.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

How do they expect to sign Murray who I believe is rfa and likely looking for a substantial raise?  Is it going to be salary in = salary out wt a follow up trade ?

My guess is its Koskinen + (rumoured 1st) for Murray. It would make sense as to why the big ask by Pitt as they are not gaining cap relief in the Murray trade. Downgrade the back up from Murray to Koskinen and gain an asset for it. 

Personally, no one should trade for Murray. Over rated, will be over paid. Force Pitt into trading Jarry. Similar to how TB would have wanted to trade Palat or Killorn but ended up having to trade Miller. 

• Vintage 1