The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Pietrangelo - Lack of deal with Blues ‘a little disappointing’

grandmaster

22 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Franchise values mean nothing if you’re not selling. Revenue has been drastically cut from the owners pockets yet they are still on the hook for all these million dollar salaries. It will be interesting who will be “bucking up” during free agency. Some of those teams with cap space will not be in play due to being so heavily in the red. We are lucky in Vancouver as FA seems more of a fan than a businessman, lol. 

They made $20 million according to the link I provided last year but I guess that includes playoff revenue (which is probably most of that).  Expect that $20 million number to be considerably less for this season (even if you exclude the pandamic as playoff revenues is where the owners really rake in the money).

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You're likely right/not far off. I expect AP will still be a Blue when it all shakes out. Was just spit balling with grand there ;)

I doubt they'd want to do a deal with us on Parayko but that would be nice for us. I think he's probably the guy moving east somewhere, he's their best value guy without a NTC, 5.5 in cap. I bet Ottawa could get him for the 28th oa when push comes to shove. 

Edited by Robert Long

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

I doubt they'd want to do a deal with us on Parayko but that would be nice for us. I think he's probably the guy moving east somewhere, he's their best value guy without a NTC, 5.5 in cap. I bet Ottawa could get him for the 28th oa when push comes to shove. 

I'd LOVE Parayko (can you imagine a Hughes-Parayko pairing :wub:)... But that's a pipedream IMO.

We'd need to send cap (and a good player) back back to make it work and that doesn't really help them. I doubt a Virtanen/Stecher/prospect package is enough to entice them/they could likely do better. Not to mention it wouldn't clear much cap for them.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd LOVE Parayko (can you imagine a Hughes-Parayko pairing :wub:)... But that's a pipedream IMO.

We'd need to send cap (and a good player) back back to make it work and that doesn't really help them. I doubt a Virtanen/Stecher/prospect package is enough to entice them/they could likely do better. Not to mention it wouldn't clear much cap for them.

and being in the West the price for us would b a lot higher too. Maybe if they get a deal done with Otawa first.... :lol: 

tbh for us if we can clear cap space and retain what's been put together I'm happy. I'd love to see what Toffoli does over an entire year here,. 

One of the trades I'd like to see as well is Jake for Colin Miller, that seems more like an equal value deal 1 for 1. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Not so sure about that. Looks like talks not looking good in St Louis. You got to also understand some owners, cap or no cap, are bleeding out money because of Covid. Perhaps their owners simply can’t afford anymore salary.

very possible especially if he's looking for a more front loaded, bonus based contract.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

they have 40m in cap and at least another 7.5m coming off the year after so they have plenty of space to sign multiple big free agents to big deals. 

My bad capspace has already changed their season over 22m in cap space and another 20m coming off the books next year so they have more than enough cap space

Don't forget that they need 5 forwards and 3 d-men signed to have a full roster....  once you factor in resigning guys like Nishushkin, Nieto, Jost, Burakovsky, Namestnikov, Graves, Zadorov....  they have 22 million but that could disappear in a hurry.  

Burakovsky made 3.5 mil last year and had a career year, and a very strong playoff performance...  let's be optimistic and call him 4 mil/year.  

Nieto made 2 mil, let's keep him the same 

Jost made 1.6 mil, let's call him 1.5 mil for next year 

Namestnikov made 4 mil, he played well but might take a haircut...  let's give him 3 mil  

We'll say that they get an ELC forward and put him in at 1 mil ....  those are the forwards 

Graves and Zadorov are looking at about 2.5 mil and 3 mil respectively...  and we'll assume that Bowen Byram will make the jump this year.  

So that's 17.5 million spoken for.  Avalanche have enough room to make one big move if they want to, provided that they give up on some of their players and don't bring them back....   and that's assuming that their owner is willing to be a cap team.  A LOT of teams will NOT be a cap team this year.  It's really going to be a blood bath out there for free agents. 

Pietrangelo, Marky and a lot of other great players are basically in this awkward time period where their own team doesn't want to be the one to break it to them.  You don't want to be the one to tell your guy that his 6 or 7 or 8 million contract precovid, has now become a 4 or 5 million contract.  That's why I expect to see a lot of free agents being told to go and test the market. 

Edited by VancouverHabitant

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

they have 40m in cap and at least another 7.5m coming off the year after so they have plenty of space to sign multiple big free agents to big deals. 

My bad capspace has already changed their season over 22m in cap space and another 20m coming off the books next year so they have more than enough cap space

Mackinnon 

Landeskog

Makar

Burakovsky

Jost

Kadri

Zadorov

All need new contracts now or within 2 years 

Rantanen already makes 9.250

Mackinnon and makar are looking at around 10mil each.

Landy 7ish

Kadri 5ish

Burakovsky 5ish

Jost 4ish

Zadorov 5ish

Adding ufa forwards or defenseman is a mistake for colorado.

Grubaur and francouz need to be replaced asap as that is their biggest weakness by far

Colorado isn't sitting as pretty as many people think, yes they will be strong on offense.

D is excellent 

Goaltending is atrocious 

1 hour ago, shazzam said:

very possible especially if he's looking for a more front loaded, bonus based contract.

Players are more likely looking for backloaded deals because of escrow.  Escrow is 20% next year followed by 14% and 10% and 6% as from 2023/24.  They bring more home if their deal is backloaded.  Players might be asking for a large portion in bonuses to avoid the buyout risk on backloaded deals.  The buyout cap hit is lower on backloaded deals than it is on front-loaded deals, but bonuses are always due so it minimises the risk of a buyout for players.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Mackinnon 

Landeskog

Makar

Burakovsky

Jost

Kadri

Zadorov

Landy 7ish

Kadri 5ish

Burakovsky 5ish

Jost 4ish

Zadorov 5ish

Grubaur and francouz need to be replaced asap as that is their biggest weakness by far

Colorado isn't sitting as pretty as many people think, yes they will be strong on offense.

D is excellent 

Goaltending is atrocious 

I said going into the playoffs that Colorado wouldn't get anywhere with that goaltending, and it was definitely their achilles.

To be fair though, Grubauer was hurt pretty early on. He's a bottom 15 starting goalie in the NHL, but still a great 1B. He is technically very strong, just a little undersized and prone to bad goals at times.

Sakic must know this is the primary area of weakness.

1 minute ago, nergish said:

I said going into the playoffs that Colorado wouldn't get anywhere with that goaltending, and it was definitely their achilles.

To be fair though, Grubauer was hurt pretty early on. He's a bottom 15 starting goalie in the NHL, but still a great 1B. He is technically very strong, just a little undersized and prone to bad goals at times.

Sakic must know this is the primary area of weakness.

MacKinnon says they shouldn't change anything but that they have to find a way to stay healthy. Could see them improving goaltending but keeping the rest of the roster pretty much as is.  On D their young players are continuing to progress.  Timmins looks finally healthy and they have Byram coming.

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

He would be, very unlikely to happen unfortunately. Wouldn't be worth giving a 7 or 8 year contract to at his age tho for the big bucks. If we didn't have the Giraffe we would have more $ to play with, no we need to try a trade for a middling D who may be able to play top 4. Montour from Buffalo?

Montour is someone I'd consider too.  Would the rights to Jake and Stetcher get it done?  Would it be worth it for us?

1 hour ago, mll said:

MacKinnon says they shouldn't change anything but that they have to find a way to stay healthy. Could see them improving goaltending but keeping the rest of the roster pretty much as is.  On D their young players are continuing to progress.  Timmins looks finally healthy and they have Byram coming.

The Avs have an embarrassment of riches. They really don't need to make any major changes, and if they want to test out a new flavour, they've still got Byram and Newhook coming. Plus, even their late-ish first this year could bring another good prospect, Sakic seems to hit more than miss.

I'd say target somebody like Korpisalo to tend the pipes. Tandem with Grubauer and they're golden.

2 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Mackinnon 

Landeskog

Makar

Burakovsky

Jost

Kadri

Zadorov

Landy 7ish

Kadri 5ish

Burakovsky 5ish

Jost 4ish

Zadorov 5ish

D is excellent 

Goaltending is atrocious 

Mackinnon already stated he will take less again Makar is not going to get 10m a year.  This idea that Hughes and Makar and these other young players are going to get these ridiculous contracts is just that ridiculous. Zadarov is unlikely to get re-signed and definitely would not get re-signed if they brought in a top 4 dman. Covid will still be here next year when these new wave of contracts need to be signed so you will likely see cheap contracts like is expected this FA once again.  

Not only that but Mackinnon contract doesn't expire until 2023-24, same time Johnson's expires. That is 12.3m in cap space that can be used for Mackinnon and your D would still have Girard, Makar and (insert Pietrangelo or OEL)... That is still crazy deep. Way deeper than they are now and they are legit threat to win the cup right now if they get some D and a goaltender. It's not about making sure you have cap space to sign some role players it's about winning a cup.. and Colorado has plenty of cap space to easily do this.

We aren't talking about signing Eriksson here but about landing a number 1 dman.. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, nergish said:

The Avs have an embarrassment of riches. They really don't need to make any major changes, and if they want to test out a new flavour, they've still got Byram and Newhook coming. Plus, even their late-ish first this year could bring another good prospect, Sakic seems to hit more than miss.

I'd say target somebody like Korpisalo to tend the pipes. Tandem with Grubauer and they're golden.

CBJ wants scoring in return.  They need to show Jones that their team can be legit contenders before he reaches UFA in 2 years.  

Could see them more trying to get a goalie via free agency.  In a trade I see them more going for Kuemper - Arizona is looking to cut costs so would be looking for futures rather than roster players.  

Edited by mll

Can see the Devils making an aggressive push for him. They have loads of cap space, and a roster of young talent that they'll want a guy of Pietrangelo's ilk to come in and help make them more stable on the backend and in the dressing room.

2 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Goaltending is atrocious 

Yeah I'm with @peaches5 on this one Ghost, Makar won't be getting anything close to 10 million.  You're far from the only fan that thinks so.  In having conversations about the future contracts of Elias and Quinn, some of our fans are throwing numbers out like 10 million/year and 8 million/year which is not going to happen.  

Agree with you on their goaltending btw, it is really holding them back.  Unfortunately I can see them making a push for Marky and giving him 6 million/year.  

10 million/year contracts are reserved for either the top 5 players in the league at their position (Panarin, Price, McDavid, etc), or for perennial all-stars that have won a cup or compiled a long career of excellence (Kopitar, Doughty, Kane, Toews). 

Mitch Marner is an outlier, and a big glaring mistake that Dubas made in structuring his team salaries.  I really dislike the fact that some 22 and 23 year olds are being viewed as worthy of these 10 million/year contracts.  The show-me contracts are unfortunately going out of style, but Benning absolutely has to try and get Elias and Quinn signed to a reasonable contract.  In my eyes, Boeser's agent has already priced him out of Vancouver... as I was saying to @IBatch in another thread.  

Sidenote for @IBatch, an arbitrator cannot give out less then 85% of a player's salary as compensation.  Looking at the history of arbitration cases, I can't find a single player that was awarded less then what he made in the year prior.  Boeser's 7.5 million final year is looking worst and worst the more I look into this.