The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Squamish Sea To Sky Gondola Cable Cut For Second Time

DonLever

38 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

They busted two people scaling the wall weeks ago but they didn't have any cutting equipment, no doubt they were scoping out the new security system.  

Go down to The Hive and interrogate those crazy climbers ::D

4 hours ago, DonLever said:

What a bunch of idiots running this company.   A simple solution is to hire a full time on site security guard instead of the "State of the Art Surveillance System".   It is like a home alarm system, by the time cops come the crooks are long gone.

They spend millions to repair the cable last time and can't afford to hire a full time security guard who are usually paid low wages?

Looks like you didn't bother to read the story.

4 hours ago, DonLever said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sea-to-sky-gondola-vandalism-2020-1.5723042

He said the person who cut the cable Sunday triggered the automatic alarm system at around 4 a.m. PT. The RCMP were instantly called.

"I've seen with my own eyes this morning exactly what happened," said Brown, who has access to the security footage. 

As was said, you vastly overrate the power of a security guard, or even multiple ones to prevent someone from doing something.

22 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I saw the King of Surrey with a heavy duty saw....but he didn't get time to spray paint. BC Government has let you down!

I think i saw Ghostof1915 in the area....  but he was wearing a mask .... 

tenor.gif?itemid=10374061

Edited by kingofsurrey

34 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Such morons whoever did it. 

People need to focus on being more productive in their lives and not indulging in such petty and idiotic acts like this.

Stupidity is inherent in modern humanity.

Selflessness used to be our dominant trait. 

9 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

I think you're vastly overestimating the effectiveness of security guards. They apparently had cameras added, so hopefully they caught something. 

The user has a point though.

Security cameras won’t stop a perpetrator nor does it guarantee them being discovered. Security is a pretty straight forward solution that would deter such people far more effectively than just some cameras. 

9 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

I think you're vastly overestimating the effectiveness of security guards. They apparently had cameras added, so hopefully they caught something. 

Security cameras won’t stop a perpetrator nor does it guarantee them being discovered. Security is a pretty straight forward solution that would deter such people far more effectively than just some cameras. 

9 hours ago, EP40. said:

I'm sure it's cost-effective and efficient to plaster a mountain 24/7 with security guards. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

What’s the punishment for this type of crime in B.C?
Probation or a fine maybe.

I thought so too but I took a quick look and the maximum punishment is more severe for property damage (mischief) >$5000  .. 10 year max sentence I think if an indictable offence

Throw the book at these idiots if they are ever found... 

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/justice/criminal-justice/bcs-criminal-justice-system/if-you-are-accused-of-a-crime/understanding-charges/types-of-offences 

Property damage Offences[edit]

Offence Code Section Election Dispositions Minimum Maximum (Summary) Maximum (Indictable) Mandatory Orders Discretionary Orders
Mischief under $5,000 430(4) Hybrid Dis / SS / F / F+Pb / Im / Im+Pb / F+Im / CSO N/A 6 months jail or $5,000 fine 2 years jail    
Mischief over $5,000 430(3) Hybrid Dis / SS / F / F+Pb / Im / Im+Pb / F+Im / CSO N/A 6 months jail or $5,000 fine 10 years jail    
Arson (disregard for human life) 433 Indictable Dis / SS / F / F+Pb / Im / Im+Pb / F+Im / CSO N/A N/A life 109(1)(d) / 491 110(1)(b) / 462.37 / 486(4.1) / 738 / SDO
Arson (damage to property) 434 / 434.1 Indictable Dis / SS / F / F+Pb / Im / Im+Pb / F+Im / CSO N/A N/A 14 years jail 109(1)(d) / 491 110(1)(b) / 462.37 / 486(4.1) / 738 / SDO
Arson (fraudulent purpose) 435 Indictable Dis / SS / F / F+Pb / Im / Im+Pb / F+Im / CSO N/A N/A 10 years jail    
Arson (negligence) 436(1) Indictable Dis / SS / F / F+Pb / Im / Im+Pb / F+Im / CSO N/A N/A 5 years jail    
Possession of Incendiary Materials 436.1 Indictable Dis / SS / F / F+Pb / Im / Im+Pb / F+Im / CSO N/A N/A 5 years jail  

16 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

I'm sure it's cost-effective and efficient to plaster a mountain 24/7 with security guards. 

If the alternative is rebuilding the gondola for millions of dollars (2 years in a row now) then the cost-benefit is there.. these vandals seem determined 

I concede it would be very difficult to patrol the entire wilderness where the gondola is located though I am sure security experts smarter than I could figure it out

• Huggy Bear 1

20 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Is it disgrunted ex-employee or wacko environmental extermist ?  Whats your prediction ?

My money is on @Squamfan. JK

But clearly someone who has a vendetta against the business and tourists it brings. With all this “state of the art” technology they claimed to have brought in, hopefully they have a lead of some sort. Also you need a heavy duty torch to burn through that cable, so whoever did it would’ve had to carry up a canister or two up the tower and lug it back down all before the RCMP arrive. Whoever did this has risked their life to break this cable twice. Both times have happened at night so their intent is not malicious or else people would’ve died over their actions. They don’t want the 400,000 Annual visitors around their town clearly. Kirby Brown might lose his job over this if they don’t catch whoever did it though. Lastly you gotta feel for the insurance company that has to pay the tab on this...again