The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kyle Clifford to test free agency

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Far from the devil. He's a decent third liner with loads of tools and upside but a lack of commitment that's likely going to cost too much cap moving forward, for a non committed player who management doesn't see as 'Canuck material' due to said commitment issues.

I could see us sign him to a discounted $2m+ deal or letting him go. But even if he signs, barring a miraculous maturation, as soon a some of Podkolzin, Lind etc al make him expendable... he's gone IMO.

My post was more about macewen being over valued than it was proving Jake's value. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

My post was more about macewen being over valued than it was proving Jake's value. 

You're comparing a 4th liner (Big Mac making about $0.85M last year...should be about $0.9M on next contract) vs 3rd liner JV (making $1.25M last year...projected to make somewhere between $2.50M - $3M through arbitration).  Not exactly a good comparison as both have their roles to play.

Big Mac is valued for his energy and grit on the 4th line (hopefully potting some goals).

JV is looking to be a career 3rd liner (and that's OK). 

I don't mind having JV on the 3rd line making $3M or less.  But Canucks need to shed salary elsewhere.

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

If Canucks still have cap-space after signing our guys

I'm sure they could find the money, this year, but the problem everyone has been talking about is the following season. Pettersson and Hughes the following year will cost a boatload (understandably so) to extend. Committing several million dollars to a bottom 6 player is the last thing the Canucks need to do, again.

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

I'm sure they could find the money, this year, but the problem everyone has been talking about is the following season. Pettersson and Hughes the following year will cost a boatload (understandably so) to extend. Committing several million dollars to a bottom 6 player is the last thing the Canucks need to do, again.

Clifford could be sign to a short one-year deal. I don't know if there are many teams will go for a lot of terms on a guy like him.

MacEwen's work ethic and drive to succeed are the exact things missing from VIrtanen.  If Virtanen had half the motor and desire that Stecher, Motte or MacEwen had with his gods blessed skating and size he'd be one of the biggest threats at the forward position in the league.

Instead we're trying to figure out if Clifford is a better fit than him.  Kyle frigging Clifford

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Only if Ferland was done and we won’t know that until long after Clifford is signed.

Ferland>>>Clifford if healthy

Ferland is not healthy. He will not stop putting himself in harm's way and only harm will come to him if he continues to play. He is done. the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. 

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Ferland is not healthy. He will not stop putting himself in harm's way and only harm will come to him if he continues to play. He is done. the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. 

There was a time that people thought Crosby was done.

Players can come back from concussions.

• Cheers 1

On 9/16/2020 at 10:50 PM, DeNiro said:

True, Ferly should have rested till next off season. Difference is Ferly has concussions but also fought a bunch and played a hard hitting style. Crosby was hit by cheap shots, but never really fought. So the damage potential is greater in Ferly vs Crysby

On 9/16/2020 at 10:50 PM, DeNiro said:

Crosby doesn't play the same game as ferland. or twice in a row fight someone first game back from a concussion. Ferland only knows one way to play this comparison is moot. 

Zero interest in Clifford.

The team needs to shed a veteran forward or two, not add to the mix.

Even if they shed, he would nowhere near be the kind of target I'd pursue.

Go get us a Brad Richardson, please - that's what the foundation could use more of...

In any event, I'm more than happy to be "that guy", so here goes....

Leafs rent Brian Boyle, a center = 2nd round pick.

Leafs have Bozak, Kadri (and Komarov at the time).

Leafs fail to rent for their Gardineresque blueline.

Boyle walks. Leafs lose that 2nd for a somewhat strange, half-measures rental.

First round exit.

#proper-rebuild.

Leafs rent Plekanec, a center = 2nd round pick.

Leafs still have Bozak, Kadri (and Komarov).

Leafs fail to rent for their Gardineresque blueline.

Plekanec walks.  Leafs lose another 2nd for a somewhat strange rental.

First round exit.

#proper-rebuild.

Leafs have no Bozak, no Komarov.....

Leafs trade Par Lindholm at the deadline.

John fn Tavares becomes their playoffs hard minutes center

36.7% ozone starts in the postseason, and goes -5 as the most expensive rented mule in the history of the NHL playoffs.

First round exit.

#proper-what-build?

Leafs rent Clifford, a winger = Trevor Moore, 3rd, (another 3rd, let's say that's for Campbell).

Leafs no longer have Bozak or Kadri (or Komarov). Instead they have Kerfoot - and the strange bottom six C signing or Jason Spezza.

Leafs fail to rent for their Barriesque blueline.  Barrie et al have another disastrous, and short, playoffs.

No real bottom six centers.  No bottom six center rentals.

Tavares once again goes from a 53.2% regular season top 6 C - to the team's lowest ozone starts in the postseason (43.2%) - and again, a team worst -3 at even strength, performing, again, the role of the league's most expensive rented mule in the history of the game.  That's a guess/assumption btw - I'm not going to spend time searching for another outlier that might be as or equally bizarre - I really doubt I could find one - and the bottom line would remain relatively the same regardless of the claim.

Clifford winds up in the top 3 of Leafs forwards in playoff ozone starts...unconventional, for sure.  Brilliant?  I'm not so....

Clifford = no points, 8 minutes a game of not particularly hard minutes.

Clifford walks.  Leafs lose another 3rd, and a fairly good young, homegrown depth forward (Moore, who scores 5 pts in 15 g in LA)

First round exit.

#proper-what-build?

you can't make this shizz up.

BTW

Dim Jim

Has an injured Boeser.

'Rents' Tyler Toffoli.

Toffoli tears is up - but then gets injured for the playoffs.

#Canuck-luck.

But - Toffoli likes it here....could very well re-sign.

#improper-rebuild.

Bennig is an idiot.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1