The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Pietrangelo to test free agency

16 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think even if he’s slightly better than Juolevi and Rafferty in camp he still gets sent down next year. Juolevi and Rafferty are worth NHL season game looks. If Rathbone makes the team then you have to waive one of these guys. I think Rathbone will surprise and look great but I wouldn’t be shocked if they give him a full year in the AHL. Don’t rush the kid! Let him play 20+ minutes in every role in the AHL than 11 minutes every other night in the NHL.

Juolevi signed when he was 18, so I think we can send him down waiver free (5 years)
juolevi.thumb.png.a24d8d030009415aeb74052c7f5ba76b.png

Rafferty signed when he was 24, so we I think we can  send him down as well. (2 years)

rafferty.thumb.png.17c4850d7b71fba60cdec9b4d7c39b60.png

We can just let the best player compete for the spot I think, without any waiver worries. Someone correct me if I am wrong though?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Cash (cap space) is very valuable... more so over the next 3-5 years then ever.  An anchor of a declining guy in 3 years with 3+ years remaining would be really problematic for us in years we want to be adding pieces and contending.

There are a bunch of younger D purportedly available (for a price).  I take Ristolainen, Cernak, Philipe Myers, Dumba, Ekblad, Deangelo, etc. even at a cost in trade instead of taking on a bad cap liability.

A guy like Cernak could be had for an offer sheet Tampa couldn't match... and the compensation is only a 2nd round pick for a $4 million salary and has a ton of upside still.

Pietrangelo will turn 31 just as he plays his first games for his new team.  I think we can all agree that his cap hit is going to be north of $7 million, maybe even north of $8 million if he is going to UFA and chasing a final contract with several suitors.  Not a lot of defencemen merit top pairing dollars into their mid to late 30's, there are a few... but they are exceptions.  This is going to be a high danger signing and needs to be by a team that is willing to sacrifice future risk for success in the next 1-3 years.

Then you responded with the below comment.. and literally quoted my post that included a partial list of possible young D we could trade for...

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

you are going to get 4-5 years of excellent play from him and the remaining 2-3 will be the cost of doing business. We have Miller for 3 more years so if we win the cap in any of those years who cares. You're not going to win the cup by playing safe. Look at Chicago and LA you have to take a chance.

Then you tried to invent a straw man argument, turning my ":Not a lot of defencemen merit top pairing dollars into their mid to late 30's" into "When has a #1 D man that signed with a team at the age of 30 not panned out?'  It was trying to artificially limit my argument to an entirely different one...  You also immediately asked who these young D men available in trade (even though as above you had JUST quoted my post that included a partial list of them).

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

When has a number 1 dman that signed with a team at the age of 30 not panned out? What are these young dman that are available? Any good young dman is going to cost a considerable amount of assets. I can't imagine there are any of these guys available that would be worth targeting.

As per the quotes above that you JUST responded to and literally quoted... there is the list, I did mention them.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

You didn't mention anything in the post you quoted me in or the post I quoted. I am not going to sift through your posts and look for proposals you've previously made.  I am asking you to tell me which young players? If you are not going to tell me who you have in mind then how am I to know if its worth it? and I said I don't see any of these good young Dman, who I think would be worth it, being available - the question is on you of who you think is available? You know who might be available and only costs $$$ Pietrangelo. 

Not only this but I asked you specifically which number 1 dman that was signed at age 30 didn't pan out and you completely ignored it. Now you've also added "cheaper D" and have not mentioned one D. I have looked at all the D who might be available based on who I think would be protected come the expansion draft, yes there are some teams that will acquire some D and more will be added to that list but there are none that are even remotely close to Pietrangelo. Infact, one of the best ones who might, and that is a very small might, is Myers and I would take Pietrangelo at 9m over Myers at 6m any day of the week. 

Your posts have no substance at all. You get called out and then just start barking and hope people just go away. 

There you are above, repeating a demand for evidence of something I never suggested.  But then I responded to your straw man with Erik Karlsson.... but apparently he doesn't count now?

55 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Erik Karlsson was coming of major ankle surgery and in the following year he had non stop injuries with his groin and then was signed to a big contract that was incredibly risky due to his health. That is not at all comparable to signing Pietrangelo. 

Are you kidding me? That is exactly what you are doing.  You provide absolutely nothing of substance.  "We will just sign a cheaper D" "Number 1 Dman signed at 30 are risky "We will just trade for a young D"  I asked you to provide examples cause I know there are none and you just have a little hissy fit. There is nothing intellectual about anything you post its just a bunch of nonsense. 

Now you are misquoting me intentionally because your dander is up just because I dared to disagree that signing Pietrangelo would be a good idea.  I also provided a link showing a large sample of history of these sorts of signings not working out.  I Provided a list of young D to target in trades (go look around the board and there are a lot of discussions about these guys possibly being available).  You have provided zero evidence of any of your positions, you are just making statements and demanding I refute them... then when I provide evidence refuting them, then you move the goalposts.

A brief perusal of the highest paid D list shows that most of them well into their mid 30's aren't worth their contracts (exactly what I said).  Subban, Eriksson, nobody signs Doughty to an $11 million contract for 7 more years if he was made available today; Arizona is already looking to trade OEL after a single year of his 8 year extension and he hasn't even hit 30 yet; Brent Burns saw his production cut in half this past season and he is still on the books for year to come; Kris Letang was signed when he was young and they now want to move on from himthe other guys like Weber, Suter, etc were signed when they were young and are now at the tail ends of their contracts.

I will play your game.  Please provide a comprehensive list of all #1D that were signed to long term deals as UFAs in the cap era after they were 30 that directly resulted in their new team winning a Stanley Cup when those players were in their mid-30's? 

Edited by Provost

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Then you responded with the below comment.. and literally quoted my post that included a partial list of possible young D we could trade for...

Then you tried to invent a straw man argument, turning my ":Not a lot of defencemen merit top pairing dollars into their mid to late 30's" into "When has a #1 D man that signed with a team at the age of 30 not panned out?'  It was trying to artificially limit my argument to an entirely different one...  You also immediately asked who these young D men available in trade (even though as above you had JUST quoted my post that included a partial list of them).

As per the quotes above that you JUST responded to and literally quoted... there is the list, I did mention them.

There you are above, repeating a demand for evidence of something I never suggested.  But then I responded to your straw man with Erik Karlsson.

Now you are misquoting me intentionally because your dander is up just because I dared to disagree that signing Pietrangelo would be a good idea.  I also provided a link showing a large sample of history of these sorts of signings not working out.  You have provided zero evidence of any of your positions.

A brief perusal of the highest paid D list shows that most of them well into their mid 30's aren't worth their contracts (exactly what I said).  Subban, Eriksson, nobody signs Doughty to an $11 million contract for 7 more years if he was made available today; Arizona is already looking to trade OEL after a single year of his 8 year extension and he hasn't even hit 30 yet; Brent Burns saw his production cut in half this past season and he is still on the books for year to come; Kris Letang was signed when he was young and they now want to move on from himthe other guys like Weber, Suter, etc were signed when they were young and are now at the tail ends of their contracts.

I will play your game.  Please provide a comprehensive list of all #1D that were signed to long term deals as UFAs in the cap era after they were 30 that directly resulted in their new team winning a Stanley Cup when those players were in their mid-30's? 

I am not even going to read your post. Complete waste of time to read your nonsense. 

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I am not even going to read your post. Complete waste of time to read your nonsense. 

Fine, seems in character to not bother reading stuff... it is evident in your recent posts.

Unlike you, I won't demand you provide answers to the questions I posed and get into a huge snit about it.

Go take a walk and move on...

Edited by Provost

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Some teams (like COL) can offer AP top dollar and term.  Don't think VAN can land AP.

It doesn't seem like we could (or should) compete with the offers that other teams will make.  Let them be stuck with it in a few years when it almost inevitably ages poorly.  I think the dream of signing him for 4-5 years is unrealistic.  Unless he just has a team he is desperate to play for, why would he take many millions less to sign for a shorter term than what St. Louis (where is is team Captain) is offering?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think the idea that they can move double-flamingo for a top4 RHD, let alone a 'cheap one' is a bit of a pipe-dream in the present context.

They painted themselves into a corner and appear more likely to sit there, looking at the floor, fluffing themselves for what a nice shade of blue it is - than they are to make some hard decisions that would enable them to make an AP signing work.

I could see them, however, signing him with every ounce of cap they have available, and then shuffling to try to figure out how to deal with the other 6 or 8 players they'd need to fit under the cap....

Obviously I have no idea what AP himself would prefer - but the clock is ticking towards free agency, and of all the options out there that teams have in this relatively unusual offseason, I can't imagine that doing the Toronto Maple Leafs a favour is high on many GM's list.  Even if he considered Toronto a landing spot, I'm skeptical they could get the necessary prerequisites done in time.

Pietrangelo to Winnipeg would be where my money is.

And going to a team that had to rework the entire right side of their blueline last offseason would make a lot of sense imo - he would put them right back where they belong in the mix of highly competitive playoff teams.

Could send Flamingo to Buffalo for Montour/Miller and a 1st? Or to NJ, they got lots of picks maybe NJ retains salary on Subban for Wee Willy and a pick/prospect

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Could send Flamingo to Buffalo for Montour/Miller and a 1st? Or to NJ, they got lots of picks maybe NJ retains salary on Subban for Wee Willy and a pick/prospect

There isn't a chance in hell I'd give up Montour and a 1st for Nylander.

Miller - who is a 3.875 million cap hit - might be more realistic - but they then have to ask themselves if he's a 'top 4' D?  Not in my mind.

How about this, instead:

To Carolina

Nylander

To Toronto

Jake Gardiner.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

There isn't a chance in hell I'd give up Montour and a 1st for Nylander.

Miller - who is a 3.875 million cap hit - might be more realistic - but they then have to ask themselves if he's a 'top 4' D?  Not in my mind.

How about this, instead:

To Carolina

Nylander

To Toronto

Jake Gardiner.

Montour might be 1 of those RFA's who don't get qualified if rumours are true of that happening to quite a few players. 

As for Nylander for Gardiner, that makes TO worse on D imo. 

If I was TO I would dump Marner's mega contract get a high 1st if you can but mainly dump the salary to go after AP. Nylander is a decent top 6 player, 8 fewer pts than Marner for 4m less in cap hit

1 hour ago, Provost said:

In fairness, this is the point many of us are making... #1D rarely ever hit free agency.  That's why it is difficult to come up with names of #1D that were signed as a UFA.  Can you even think of one from the last 10-15 years??

The only true #1D I can think of that hit UFA status in recent years were Scott Niedermayer and Zdeno Chara.  I think those 2 speak for themselves.

Edited by HKSR

The score just posted 5 likely spots for AP...what about the Canucks? :mellow:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1998237

Following Friday's report that the St. Louis Blues broke off contract talks with Alex Pietrangelo and advised their captain to pursue free agency, we look at five sensible landing spots for the star defenseman.

Toronto Maple Leafs

cropped_GettyImages-1167024635.jpg?ts=1583451562Andrew Francis Wallace / Toronto Star / Getty

Can a star player hailing from the Greater Toronto Area hit free agency and not be linked to the Maple Leafs? We can hear the groans from non-Leafs fans, but this list wouldn't feel complete without at least mentioning a potential Leafs pursuit of the native of King City, Ontario.

With just over $6 million in cap space, the Leafs have the least amount of flexibility of any team to crack this list. However, they may also be more desperate for an impact right-handed defenseman than any club in the league. The addition of a bona fide No. 1 blue-liner like Pietrangelo would turn Toronto's defense from a weakness to a strength.

LD RD
Morgan Rielly Alex Pietrangelo
Jake Muzzin Justin Holl
Travis Dermott Mikko Lehtonen
Rasmus Sandin  

In order to afford Pietrangelo, who will likely command at least $8 million per season, Leafs general manager Kyle Dubas will have to make changes throughout the lineup. He wouldn't necessarily need to move someone as important as William Nylander, but fellow forwards Alexander Kerfoot ($3.5 million) and Andreas Johnsson ($3.4 million) would have to be traded and replaced with players making less than $1 million. He'd also have to deal goaltender Frederik Andersen ($5 million) and pursue a cheaper option.

It would really thin out Toronto's bottom-six forward group and create some uncertainty between the pipes, but Pietrangelo could be accommodated if the Leafs are that desperate. It also remains to be seen whether Dubas would want to make a significant long-term commitment to a 30-year-old after signing John Tavares two years ago.

Boston Bruins

cropped_GettyImages-1151821881.jpg?ts=1560990989Bruce Bennett / Getty Images Sport / Getty

A right-handed defenseman isn't an area of need for the Bruins, who have Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Carlo, and Connor Cliftonin the fold. However, the team's Stanley Cup window is closing quickly, and Pietrangelo would better position Boston to contend with the Tampa Bay Lightning and make another deep playoff run.

Even after re-signing RFAs Jake DeBruskand Matt Grzelcyk, the Bruins will likely have nearly $9 million to offer. Remember, Torey Krug is a UFA and Zdeno Characould retire, so there's some money to go around on Boston's blue line. If GM Don Sweeney were to sign Pietrangelo, he could easily trade Carlo or Clifton for a left-handed defenseman or some help up front to relieve the logjam on the right side.

LD RD
Matt Grzelcyk Alex Pietrangelo
Jeremy Lauzon Charlie McAvoy
John Moore Carlo/Clifton
Urho Vaakanainen  

Taylor Hall would seem to be a more logical fit for the Bruins, but don't rule out the possibility of the Bruins making a splash for Pietrangelo.

Colorado Avalanche

cropped_GettyImages-800600402.jpg?ts=1559857492Dave Sandford / National Hockey League / Getty

The Avalanche are consistently linked to big-name free agents thanks to their cap flexibility and legitimate Stanley Cup aspirations. Colorado has over $22 million in projected cap space, albeit with RFAs Valeri Nichushkin, Tyson Jost, Andre Burakovsky, Nikita Zadorov, and Ryan Graves all in need of new contracts.

General Manager Joe Sakic could easily trade Ian Cole, who's entering the last year of his deal, and Erik Johnson, who can submit a list of 19 teams he'll accept a trade to. Moving both blue-liners would allow Sakic to not only afford Pietrangelo but put the GM in a position to comfortably re-sign Cale Makar and Gabriel Landeskognext offseason.

Adding Pietrangelo would give Colorado one of the best blue lines in the league even before the arrival of 2019 No. 4 pick Bowen Byram.

LD RD
Samuel Girard Alex Pietrangelo
Ryan Graves Cale Makar
Nikita Zadorov Conor Timmins

Issues would arise at the 2021 expansion draft, where the Avs would risk losing Graves if they opt to use the 7-3-1 format. But those same risks exist if they keep Johnson in the fold, who has expansion protection with a no-movement clause.

Calgary Flames

cropped_GettyImages-487218041.jpg?ts=1588180342NHL Images / National Hockey League / Getty

Calgary isn't typically the most desirable destination for premier free agents, and the club often has to overpay on the open market. However, GM Brad Treliving is in a great position to make a run at Pietrangelo. His team is in need of some sort of shake-up, and with five pending UFA D-men, there are openings on the blue line and significant cap space to burn.

The Flames have nearly $17 million in projected cap space, and RFAs Andrew Mangiapane, Mark Jankowski, and Oliver Kylington won't break the bank. The team could allow UFAs T.J. Brodie, Travis Hamonic, Erik Gustafsson, Derek Forbort, and Michael Stone to walk. Adding Pietrangelo is a viable option thanks to the organization's youthful depth on D.

LD RD
Mark Giordano Alex Pietrangelo
Noah Hanifin Rasmus Andersson
Juuso Valimaki Oliver Kylington

Assuming Giordano still has another year or two left of quality play, this would be one of the best blue lines in the league.

Edmonton Oilers

cropped_GettyImages-1157476129.jpg?ts=1593304134Dave Sandford / National Hockey League / Getty

Edmonton has also struggled to lure marquee free agents, but an opportunity to play on a team with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl could be awfully tantalizing for Pietrangelo.

The Oilers have $10.5 million in projected cap space this offseason. The contracts of RFAs Ethan Bear and Andreas Athanasiouwill eat into that, and GM Ken Holland has to sign a backup goalie, too. This means a contract - or maybe two - would need to be moved.

Adam Larsson would make sense as the odd man out. He's entering the final year of his deal that carries a $4.16-million cap hit, and there would be no shortage of suitors. Pietrangelo would then take his spot in the lineup.

LD RD
Oscar Klefbom Alex Pietrangelo
Darnell Nurse Ethan Bear
Caleb Jones Kris Russell

Signing Pietrangelo would likely require Edmonton to protect four defensemen - eight total players - at the expansion draft instead of protecting seven forwards and three rearguards. However, the Oilers are pretty top-heavy up front, so they're one of the few teams that could manage it.

Having a horse like Pietrangelo to complement Edmonton's star forwards would vastly increase the team's Stanley Cup hopes.

(Salary source: CapFriendly)

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

If I was TO I would dump Marner's mega contract get a high 1st if you can but mainly dump the salary to go after AP. Nylander is a decent top 6 player, 8 fewer pts than Marner for 4m less in cap hit

Would be very interesting to see test the market for Marner. Before he re-signed, the word was that he turned down two offer sheets from other teams (reportedly Columbus and Minnesota) that were for more money than what he accepted from the Leafs, and would have been in the 4 x 1st round picks compensation range.

If teams were willing to pay him even more than his current deal, and sacrifice four first round picks for the privilege, what would his market value be now?

I’d imagine COVID-19 and the flat cap have changed the equation, but still, would have to think that if a team had the space to add Marner, they’d still be willing to pony up some considerable assets for a trade.

Losing Marner certainly would hurt the Leafs’ offence, but freeing up the cap to add Pietrangelo as a UFA, significantly improve their D, still have additional cap savings to make other improvements, and in the process also add a treasure trove of assets (from the trade return)?

38 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Following Friday's report that the St. Louis Blues broke off contract talks with Alex Pietrangelo and advised their captain to pursue free agency, we look at five sensible landing spots for the star defenseman.

Toronto Maple Leafs

cropped_GettyImages-1167024635.jpg?ts=1583451562Andrew Francis Wallace / Toronto Star / Getty

Can a star player hailing from the Greater Toronto Area hit free agency and not be linked to the Maple Leafs? We can hear the groans from non-Leafs fans, but this list wouldn't feel complete without at least mentioning a potential Leafs pursuit of the native of King City, Ontario.

With just over $6 million in cap space, the Leafs have the least amount of flexibility of any team to crack this list. However, they may also be more desperate for an impact right-handed defenseman than any club in the league. The addition of a bona fide No. 1 blue-liner like Pietrangelo would turn Toronto's defense from a weakness to a strength.

LD RD
Jake Muzzin Justin Holl
Rasmus Sandin  

In order to afford Pietrangelo, who will likely command at least $8 million per season, Leafs general manager Kyle Dubas will have to make changes throughout the lineup. He wouldn't necessarily need to move someone as important as William Nylander, but fellow forwards Alexander Kerfoot ($3.5 million) and Andreas Johnsson ($3.4 million) would have to be traded and replaced with players making less than $1 million. He'd also have to deal goaltender Frederik Andersen ($5 million) and pursue a cheaper option.

It would really thin out Toronto's bottom-six forward group and create some uncertainty between the pipes, but Pietrangelo could be accommodated if the Leafs are that desperate. It also remains to be seen whether Dubas would want to make a significant long-term commitment to a 30-year-old after signing John Tavares two years ago.

Boston Bruins

cropped_GettyImages-1151821881.jpg?ts=1560990989Bruce Bennett / Getty Images Sport / Getty

A right-handed defenseman isn't an area of need for the Bruins, who have Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Carlo, and Connor Cliftonin the fold. However, the team's Stanley Cup window is closing quickly, and Pietrangelo would better position Boston to contend with the Tampa Bay Lightning and make another deep playoff run.

Even after re-signing RFAs Jake DeBruskand Matt Grzelcyk, the Bruins will likely have nearly $9 million to offer. Remember, Torey Krug is a UFA and Zdeno Characould retire, so there's some money to go around on Boston's blue line. If GM Don Sweeney were to sign Pietrangelo, he could easily trade Carlo or Clifton for a left-handed defenseman or some help up front to relieve the logjam on the right side.

LD RD
Matt Grzelcyk Alex Pietrangelo
Jeremy Lauzon Charlie McAvoy
John Moore Carlo/Clifton
Urho Vaakanainen  

Taylor Hall would seem to be a more logical fit for the Bruins, but don't rule out the possibility of the Bruins making a splash for Pietrangelo.

Colorado Avalanche

cropped_GettyImages-800600402.jpg?ts=1559857492Dave Sandford / National Hockey League / Getty

The Avalanche are consistently linked to big-name free agents thanks to their cap flexibility and legitimate Stanley Cup aspirations. Colorado has over $22 million in projected cap space, albeit with RFAs Valeri Nichushkin, Tyson Jost, Andre Burakovsky, Nikita Zadorov, and Ryan Graves all in need of new contracts.

General Manager Joe Sakic could easily trade Ian Cole, who's entering the last year of his deal, and Erik Johnson, who can submit a list of 19 teams he'll accept a trade to. Moving both blue-liners would allow Sakic to not only afford Pietrangelo but put the GM in a position to comfortably re-sign Cale Makar and Gabriel Landeskognext offseason.

Adding Pietrangelo would give Colorado one of the best blue lines in the league even before the arrival of 2019 No. 4 pick Bowen Byram.

LD RD
Samuel Girard Alex Pietrangelo
Ryan Graves Cale Makar
Nikita Zadorov Conor Timmins

Issues would arise at the 2021 expansion draft, where the Avs would risk losing Graves if they opt to use the 7-3-1 format. But those same risks exist if they keep Johnson in the fold, who has expansion protection with a no-movement clause.

Calgary Flames

cropped_GettyImages-487218041.jpg?ts=1588180342NHL Images / National Hockey League / Getty

Calgary isn't typically the most desirable destination for premier free agents, and the club often has to overpay on the open market. However, GM Brad Treliving is in a great position to make a run at Pietrangelo. His team is in need of some sort of shake-up, and with five pending UFA D-men, there are openings on the blue line and significant cap space to burn.

The Flames have nearly $17 million in projected cap space, and RFAs Andrew Mangiapane, Mark Jankowski, and Oliver Kylington won't break the bank. The team could allow UFAs T.J. Brodie, Travis Hamonic, Erik Gustafsson, Derek Forbort, and Michael Stone to walk. Adding Pietrangelo is a viable option thanks to the organization's youthful depth on D.

LD RD
Mark Giordano Alex Pietrangelo
Noah Hanifin Rasmus Andersson
Juuso Valimaki Oliver Kylington

Assuming Giordano still has another year or two left of quality play, this would be one of the best blue lines in the league.

Edmonton Oilers

cropped_GettyImages-1157476129.jpg?ts=1593304134Dave Sandford / National Hockey League / Getty

Edmonton has also struggled to lure marquee free agents, but an opportunity to play on a team with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl could be awfully tantalizing for Pietrangelo.

The Oilers have $10.5 million in projected cap space this offseason. The contracts of RFAs Ethan Bear and Andreas Athanasiouwill eat into that, and GM Ken Holland has to sign a backup goalie, too. This means a contract - or maybe two - would need to be moved.

Adam Larsson would make sense as the odd man out. He's entering the final year of his deal that carries a $4.16-million cap hit, and there would be no shortage of suitors. Pietrangelo would then take his spot in the lineup.

LD RD
Oscar Klefbom Alex Pietrangelo
Darnell Nurse Ethan Bear
Caleb Jones Kris Russell

Signing Pietrangelo would likely require Edmonton to protect four defensemen - eight total players - at the expansion draft instead of protecting seven forwards and three rearguards. However, the Oilers are pretty top-heavy up front, so they're one of the few teams that could manage it.

Having a horse like Pietrangelo to complement Edmonton's star forwards would vastly increase the team's Stanley Cup hopes.

(Salary source: CapFriendly)

Have always wanted to see Larsson on this Canucks team. Would love to see how he'd do playing for a real team.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Montour might be 1 of those RFA's who don't get qualified if rumours are true of that happening to quite a few players. 

As for Nylander for Gardiner, that makes TO worse on D imo.

/S

Can you show me the rumour about Montour - I'm curious?

Montour played the 2nd most minutes on Buffalo's blueline - more per game than Dahlin....

I don't know how the financial reality is going to impact teams - and if having a player like MIller for two more years might handcuff them (with Jokiharju also in the mix) but if I were Buffalo I'd be retaining him - qualifying him - I wouldn't balk at his 3.3 cap hit - he's a young, versatile, 30 pt defenseman....would not be my choice to cut bait from.

If Toronto wanted to move that Nylander contract and expected a pick in return, imo it would have to be Miller - and even then, if I'm Buffalo I'm asking myself what kind of need Nylander fills?  They have Reinhart, Olofsson = two young 20 goal scorers - and Tage Thompson, Kyle Okposo at RW....I would not be acquiring Nylander to play center.....and Buffalo just drafted Cozens at 7th oa.    Toronto makes that move to shed cap, hoping to return a D - are unlikely to want to take much in return, so where is the incentive?  Toronto's probably better off not attempting to accomplish two things at once - ie get the D in a separate deal - get futures or whatever for Nylander - otherwise  I'm guessing there will be a lot of opportunities in the market this offseason...

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

In fairness, this is the point many of us are making... #1D rarely ever hit free agency.  That's why it is difficult to come up with names of #1D that were signed as a UFA.  Can you even think of one from the last 10-15 years??

The only true #1D I can think of that hit UFA status in recent years were Scott Niedermayer and Zdeno Chara.  I think those 2 speak for themselves.

it is a ludicrous question agreed.  It was phrased that way on purpose as a red plane to an equally ludicrous question.

That is why I said I wold play the “dumb game”

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Toronto Maple Leafs

LD RD
Jake Muzzin Justin Holl
Rasmus Sandin  

That is good for a laugh, at least.  wouldn't have to move Nylander - but could move the only other forwards they have making more than 2 million....

Get rid of Kerfoot and Johnsson - and run with a forward group with 4 guys making 40+ million - while the other 8 earn the salary of 1 Tavares or Matthews.

Now that is a novel approach. 

Why change anything - when they can further double-down on the absolutely lopsided, top heavy build they've been failing with for years running?

Same dynamic would be mimicked on their blueline - with 3 guys making 18 million, and the rest....make 4 combined....

Just do it Dubas.  Great pose btw - the hands look.....deeply thoughtful.

Keep your 4 forwards. 

Rinse and repeat.

Edited by oldnews
  • Haha 1