The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Pietrangelo to test free agency

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Anybody who says Edler is our best defenseman and claims they're intelligent is laughable. What does he do that's better offensively than Hughes? Defensively than Tanev? He's not in the same league in either of those categories as those two. You're living in the past. The guy puts up 0.5ppg playing on the powerplay and over 22 minutes a night. What next, you're gonna tell me he's a fast skater? 

Nice another clueless hockey fan, lmao.

On 9/21/2020 at 11:12 PM, aGENT said:

He's our best, all around, 2 way D. He's nearly as good defensively as Tanev while better offensively, physically etc. There's a reasons he's played just under 25mins atoi for like a decade (and was still at just under 23 this year, at 34 years old, and despite the addition of Hughes and Myers). 

Have some &^@#ing respect.

Tanev BTW has averaged right around 20.

Unless you're arguing that our coaches are complete morons who play inferior players more minutes, I'm not sure you really have a leg to stand on here.

Hughes is another thing altogether.

I agree with everything you stated about Edler, but yea I believe Green can be a moron at times :lol:

Edited by Brock Botanen
  • Haha 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Yeah, that's a lot of cheddar for a guy in the wrong side of 30... Still hard not to kick those tires though.

I guess it depends on how its structured maybe? whats the maximum variance allowed now between contract years? 

5 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

who does he think he is, Erik Karlsson? 

Maybe if he was 27. 

Exactly. I find it odd he isn't jumping all over the reported 8 x 8 offer from the Blues. Most he can get elsewhere is 7 years. All I can think that maybe the relationship with Blues management has soured.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Exactly. I find it odd he isn't jumping all over the reported 8 x 8 offer from the Blues. Most he can get elsewhere is 7 years. All I can think that maybe the relationship with Blues management has soured.

maybe he wants mostly bonus money. 

4 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I guess it depends on how its structured maybe? whats the maximum variance allowed now between contract years? 

Ugggh too early for this man :P Can't have more than a 50% variance from one year to the next... And IIRC something about you can't go lower than 35% of the lowest amount of the first two years of a front load deal... or something.... Need more coffee for this :bored:

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Maybe he sees the writing on the wall? They're not exactly a young team. Maybe his agent is just leveraging everything they can?

I would have thought long and hard at letting Tanev + walk and paying to clear some salary at $8-$8.5m x 7... But $9m+ is getting awful hard to swallow, particularly in the current financial climate. I mean the guy is good but...

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Ugggh too early for this man :P Can't have more than a 50% variance from one year to the next... And IIRC something about you can't go lower than 35% of the lowest amount of the first two years of a front load deal... or something.... Need more coffee for this :bored:

Maybe he sees the writing on the wall? They're not exactly a young team. Maybe his agent is just leveraging everything they can?

I would have thought long and hard at letting Tanev + walk and paying to clear some salary at $8-$8.5m x 7... But $9m+ is getting awful hard to swallow, particularly in the current financial climate. I mean the guy is good but...

OK so front load the 1st 1/2 with bonus money, full salary and max variance the back 1/2. Still feels like a potentially unmovable problem in 5 or 6 years. 

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

OK so front load the 1st 1/2 with bonus money, full salary and max variance the back 1/2. Still feels like a potentially unmovable problem in 5 or 6 years. 

Yes. And it sounds like guys actually want back loaded deals in the hope escrow goes down over the contract, so they get to keep more of their money. So you need to reverse that lol.

Edited by aGENT