The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Pietrangelo to test free agency

18 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

When was the last time the salary cap was guaranteed to stay flat for a minimum of 3 years?  We’re in unknown territory here.  I didn’t say that’s what the price would be. I asked what the response would be IF the price included one of those assets. 

I think Hoglander, Podz, our 1st & Rathbone would probably be off the table. Not sure about Juolevi or Lind. Somebody's gotta go. I'm hoping guys like Virtanen, Stech, salary retention, players making very little compared to their cap hit and our 2nd next year are what entices teams.  

We HAVE to do what it takes to get Pietrangelo, players like him rarely come along & if we can clear necessary cap space, we are a very competitive team. He just played us, so he could see how far along we have come & maybe want to be a part of that. 

Edited by KKnight

17 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

When was the last time the salary cap was guaranteed to stay flat for a minimum of 3 years?  We’re in unknown territory here.  I didn’t say that’s what the price would be. I asked what the response would be IF the price included one of those assets. 

Next years first rounder wouldn’t be the end of the world since it should be in the mid-late 20s range. Not gonna comment on Podkolzin or Hoglander since like I said, zero chance either get moved. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Problem being, Ottawa doesn't need goalies.

Detroit maybe, but not Ottawa.

That and I think Marky is walking.

Yup I wouldn’t blame Marky either. They want to sign him I think but only for 2-3 years. If Marky can get 5 years somewhere to be a starter I would be happy for him. Demko is clearly the future. I don’t think JB would make that statement then trade him

• Cheers 1

Just now, MikeyD said:

I'd actually look at trading Edler for picks over dropping Tanev. Edler is dispensable in my opinion, Tanev is not. 

I think Edler is going to somewhat get the Sedin treatment. With one year left it’s retirement or resigned for another year at 3 million or something. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

I think Edler is going to somewhat get the Sedin treatment. With one year left it’s retirement or resigned for another year at 3 million or something. 

Yeah I think that's the way it'll go too but I definitely wouldn't say it's the smart decision a gm would make when they're trying to win a cup. 

Just now, MikeyD said:

Yeah I think that's the way it'll go too but I definitely wouldn't say it's the smart decision a gm would make when they're trying to win a cup. 

Depends what he signs for. He should still be valuable. But I’d be careful though for sure. We just don’t have the depth yet and we gonna need a couple guys to pass him on the depth chart here pretty quick 

If we get Piet - I would be happy letting Marky walk. Demko does require some protecting as he isn’t a finished article yet and Piet is a good fit to help do that.

while I am of the view we ride the cap situation out and build the team fully around EP and QH in 2 years or so, I wouldn’t be against moving for Piet, rather him that Dumba 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, qwijibo said:

JB is going to have to pull off some magic to find the cap space to sign him, ice a full competitive lineup this season , and still have cap to sign Hughes and Pettersson next year. 

Don’t sign TT or Tanev.   That should work out to around the same cost as AP right there.   Enough fans have illustrated how it’s possible to sign all three so yes it can be done.   

4 hours ago, Pears said:

And when was the last time a high end prospect was used to offload a bad contract? There is a less than zero percent chance either get moved to do so. 

Lawson Crouse was an 11th overall - 14 months after drafting him Florida used him to dump the Bolland contract to Arizona.  He wasn't on LTIR yet.  

Edited by mll

10 hours ago, mll said:

Vegas are probably going to go hard after Pietrangelo.  They don't have much cap space but should be able to find a taker for Marchessault or Smith plus one of their lesser priced Ds.  

I actually think Boston will be all over this. They have the cap room to do it, and need to fill a hole on the blueline with Krug leaving.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

7 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

This is exactly what I thought when I heard the Blues were letting him walk. 

Huggy Bear and Pietrangelo could light up the league next year!

looks like I was pretty high on the salary number too, at 7.7 its a no-brainer. 

If Jim can somehow shed Loui this week things are going to get quite interesting. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, mll said:

Vegas are probably going to go hard after Pietrangelo.  They don't have much cap space but should be able to find a taker for Marchessault or Smith plus one of their lesser priced Ds.  

tbh I don't think Marchessault did himself any favours this playoffs, he acted like a twit and didn't produce well. Not a good look. With everyone's cap situations I can't see him being the guy teams go for to push things to the limit.

I wouldn't mind stealing Nosek from them for free tho for some depth. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Yup I wouldn’t blame Marky either. They want to sign him I think but only for 2-3 years. If Marky can get 5 years somewhere to be a starter I would be happy for him. Demko is clearly the future. I don’t think JB would make that statement then trade him

Even if we're were to re-sign him for say 4 years, we're not protecting him for the ED. So is he gone then to Seattle? Traded the year following as Demko takes over? 

At BEST (not taken by Seattle or traded soon after) he probably has 3 years transitioning from 50/30 game starter to 40/40 tandem to 30/50 backup.

Does he want to stay here THAT badly...I doubt it.

5 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I'd actually look at trading Edler for picks over dropping Tanev. Edler is dispensable in my opinion, Tanev is not. 

Edler, despite his age, is still our best D not named Hughes. Thankfully, he's not going anywhere.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

My guess he’s going to Buffalo.

They have a TON of cap space, owners/management are in a win-now mode, and it’s like an hour drive away from his hometown.

I'm thinking Colorado as far as the cap space and win now goes. I'm not sure how close he wants to be to Toronto.

35 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I actually think Boston will be all over this. They have the cap room to do it, and need to fill a hole on the blueline with Krug leaving.

They are not retaining Krug because he's going to price himself out of their salary structure.  Wouldn't it be the same issue with Pietrangelo?  

Trade for the rights to negotiate with Piet first.  Then work on a finalized number and term with him pending the trade of LE.  Move LE along with whatever sweetener it takes (ie. Virtanen++) and then sign Pietrangelo to a deal.

The end result is:

In:

Pietrangelo

Out:

LE

Virtanen

Prospect?

2nd round pick?

That's a trade off I'd take 10 times out of 10.