The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Pietrangelo to test free agency

45 minutes ago, mll said:

LeBrun says Florida is interested in Pietrangelo and adds that it flies in the face of what everyone assumed (including himself) that Florida were cutting costs.  Zito will be prudent but he has the green light to spend to improve the team.  LeBrun says imagine a top four with Ekblad and Pietrangelo.   Doesn't sound like he thinks Ekblad is available.

That could do wonders with making Stralman available though. But probably not for what I'd like :lol:

12 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes - Pietrangelo would be an incredible top D pairing, and if Benning can manage to move out some cap, he could be worth it. 

Would probably have to let Tanev walk, maybe they re-sign Stecher (cheap) to pair with Juolevi in the 3rd pairing? Stecher and Rafferty could alternate, depending on who's most effective.

Hughes - Pietrangelo

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Stecher

Rafferty

I would not only let Tanev walk, I would drive him to the nearest airport if Benning could clear cap space to land Pietrangelo. He is an elite offensive D man with great defense and can easily play 25 minutes if not more. Hughes-Pietrangelo would be the best D pair in the NHL. I would probably bring in Tryamkin for that 3rd pair and maybe add Hamonic for cheap instead of Stecher. 

6 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I would not only let Tanev walk, I would drive him to the nearest airport if Benning could clear cap space to land Pietrangelo. He is an elite offensive D man with great defense and can easily play 25 minutes if not more. Hughes-Pietrangelo would be the best D pair in the NHL. I would probably bring in Tryamkin for that 3rd pair and maybe add Hamonic for cheap instead of Stecher. 

You might, but we can't. Unless the NHL changes the rules, he won't be eligible to sign/play until the 21-22 season.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

There is still hope that JB can land him. We currently have a projected 8M in cap space. 

AP is way better than OEL and a legit number one defenceman. Also, there is no handing out any of our futures.

make it so star trek GIF

Not even remotely a chance of it.  We don’t have $8 million.  

We have $8 million minus the $3 million we have to keep in reserve for a Virtanen arb case, and minus a bit to fill out the last couple spots on our roster.

We also don’t ha e enough in 2021-22 to cover it with the raises owed and not enough veteran money coming off the books.

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

We have $8 million minus the $3 million we have to keep in reserve for a Virtanen arb case, and minus a bit to fill out the last couple spots on our roster.

We also don’t ha e enough in 2021-22 to cover it with the raises owed and not enough veteran money coming off the books.

Virtanen is not guaranteed to remain with the team. If we landed AP, that’s not happening. 

There is no doubt JB will have to do some work but it is still doable.

30 minutes ago, Provost said:

we do have 8 million. Let Tanev, Toffoli and stecher walk and sign Holtby for 2 million less than Marky. Plus a potential buyout and we can have space for a franchise D. Hughes and Pietrangelo would make us a cup contender. You forget that we have to replace aging Edler in the future and we dont have another blue chip D prospect that can replace him. Benning should take advantage of this Covid opportunity if Piertrangelo only wants 8 million. There wont be franchise D like that which become UFA in the near future.

27 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

2wbtrs.gif&key=65a2f4b7930c465f245afd1d2

Would be a mistake to not sign one of the best D in the league to an $8 million contract. Thats the only UFA this year that I would give that type of money and that type of D usually isnt available in the UFA market, this year is unique due to flat cap, covid19 and expansion draft. If you have an opportunity to sign a franchise D, you do it. You dont waste space on depth players or give 3 million to stecher when you can have Pietrangelo for 8 million. Its all about if the Canucks want to win a cup. You cant win a cup with only depth, you need game breakers. Just ask Vegas how did it go with no game breakers on the team. Tampa has Hedman, Sergachev, McDonagh and Cernak. Imagine if we can counter that with Pietrangelo, Hughes, Myers and Edler. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Testing 1,2,3… | DG Book Blog

I wonder what the final numbers will be? Teams are cutting costs but still top players are top players.

For Pietrangelo, I know Aqualini would break the bank for him. Canucks will be in better position to win a cup if he was in our lineup.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

we do have 8 million. Let Tanev, Toffoli and stecher walk and sign Holtby for 2 million less than Marky. Plus a potential buyout and we can have space for a franchise D. Hughes and Pietrangelo would make us a cup contender. You forget that we have to replace aging Edler in the future and we dont have another blue chip D prospect that can replace him. Benning should take advantage of this Covid opportunity if Piertrangelo only wants 8 million. There wont be franchise D like that which become UFA in the near future.

We don’t have $8 million even if we let all those guys walk.  We have $5 million including the Virtanen liability that we can’t spend because we qualified him and aren’t allowed to walk away from a decision.

You can come up with all word of imaginary future moves you want.  We haven’t made any of them yet and haven’t been able to make any of them up until now.  Imaginary future moves don’t mean we have more money now.

I am not forgetting about Edler.  I am remembering that we will have to re-sign Petterson, Hughes, and Demko.  I am remembering that we would have $4 million in pushed ELCs that will have to be paid.  I am remembering we will still have Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Ferland, and Luongo’s cap recapture on the books that year.

Edited by Provost