The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

San Jose traded their heart away when they let Joe go

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

At the end of the day, the Flopping(2013 PO's) Snarks wasted a bunch of their stars' prime yrs, & now are STUCK with overpaid lumps. With or without that dude, they're in cap Hell going fwds.

In the 15 seasons before this one, the Sharks went to the conference final 5 times including one trip to the SCF in which they were 2 wins away from the Cup. In that time, they missed the playoffs once.

Wouldn't really use the term "flop" or "waste" to describe a run like that. Yes they didn't win the ultimate prize but they had a hell of a run. Most teams don't sustain a high level of competitiveness for that long. They're going to have a rough patch for a while here but that's just how things work in sports.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

In the 15 seasons before this one, the Sharks went to the conference final 5 times including one trip to the SCF in which they were 2 wins away from the Cup. In that time, they missed the playoffs once.

Wouldn't really use the term "flop" or "waste" to describe a run like that. Yes they didn't win the ultimate prize but they had a hell of a run. Most teams don't sustain a high level of competitiveness for that long. They're going to have a rough patch for a while here but that's just how things work in sports.  

That's not too shabby.  The Canucks have been to the final four 3 times in 50 years.  The Sharks did it 5 times in fifteen.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

Except..Pavelski is 36 years old, how many more years can he play well for the Sharks? You are blaming San Jose for moving on from a 36 year old veteran when we are about to do it ourselves to Tanev, only difference is Tanev is still 30 years old. 

Question to Shark's GM was Keep 36 year old Pavelski or a chance to keep 30 year old Erik Karlsson where you have a very strong Dman corp on paper of Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic, Dillon.

47 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

the sharks were already on a sharp decline. even with pavelski. that's a team that needs to blow it up now, cause with the west getting better around them, and with the canucks being a legit threat in the pacific, they're kinda doomed to be 1990's bad again

They weren't on a sharp decline until last season.  Look at their record over the last few years, they were an elite team for most of them until Pavelski left.  

OP has a good point and anyone watching these games instead of looking at boxscores (not aimed at you @Twilight Sparkle btw) can't help but notice Pavelski being the clutch guy for Dallas.  He's carried them to the finals and is making a series out of it. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

They weren't on a sharp decline until last season.  Look at their record over the last few years, they were an elite team for most of them until Pavelski left.  

OP has a good point and anyone watching these games instead of looking at boxscores (not aimed at you @Twilight Sparkle btw) can't help but notice Pavelski being the clutch guy for Dallas.  He's carried them to the finals and is making a series out of it. 

its not even looking at boxscores, its not even those watching games and parroting what the commentators are saying about him being a big game player. the sharks fell off a cliff that year the made they finals, and even then they benefited from a really weak pacific division, and i guess, call it "luck" against vegas in game 7 last year, but then the blues just ate them alive. they're a team that's been barely hanging on for the past few years and the cracks in the make up are really starting to show with their competition getting better, and they have couture carrying the pressure of being their big goal scorer, and unless things change drastically there, couture might want out, he's in the prime of his career and the sharks have been swirling down the drain

Edited by Twilight Sparkle

Will be interesting to see what the Sharks do with Karlsson over the long term as from what I've seen his play has declined dramatically and he's locked in to a long term contract.  Always thought the Sharks were a bunch of whiny divers, Couture being one of the worst.  Kind of fun to watch their demise as the Canucks are rising!  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, skategal said:

Will be interesting to see what the Sharks do with Karlsson over the long term as from what I've seen his play has declined dramatically and he's locked in to a long term contract.  Always thought the Sharks were a bunch of whiny divers, Couture being one of the worst.  Kind of fun to watch their demise as the Canucks are rising!  

7 more years at 11.5 mil... eye caramba. 

What are they going to do with Jones? cap dump to Detroit maybe? but I don't think Stevie Y would want him for the full 4 years. They do have 14 mil in cap space so they might be a dark horse and offer Marky the most money if he hits free agency as well, they seem to really love to lock up guys over 30 to excessive contacts. 

I think the term Pavelski was looking for just wasn't doing it for the Sharks given his age. Their window has passed and they got some BIG contracts. Their D is getting long in the tooth.

If they can, they need to try to unload Burns. But good luck finding a taker with that contract.

Should have made Pavelski captain after Blake and traded No Show Joe a long time ago. Could have gotten a ransom for him back in the day and still been a contender with Pavelski and Couture as their 1-2.

That guy is not a leader though and a big reason why that team never won a cup despite having very strong teams for a decade.

But I don’t like San Jose so I’m glad they made that bum captain. 

25 minutes ago, shazzam said:

I think the term Pavelski was looking for just wasn't doing it for the Sharks given his age. Their window has passed and they got some BIG contracts. Their D is getting long in the tooth.

If they can, they need to try to unload Burns. But good luck finding a taker with that contract.

Ufff, I just checked it out on capfriendly and he's got 5 years left @ 8 million/season, that takes him to age 40.  

If it was two years left, I'd want him on the Canucks, no issues...  but 5 years is a lot!  

Anyways it seems to me that the really big d-men end up playing well into their 30s....  and is a comforting fact when looking at the Myers contract.  I don't see Myers falling off any time soon and if anything might even improve throughout the four years left we have him for. 

On 9/27/2020 at 11:44 AM, kanucks25 said:

Plus the Sharks at least had skill and we're pretty exciting to watch. Much more than I can say about that other California team the LA Kings winning 2 cups and being one of the lowest ranked teams in scoring. Heck the 2014 Oilers were only 3 goals behind the King's.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 4:44 AM, kanucks25 said:

A lot like the Eagles with Andy Reid! The Eagles had many good runs, but lost in their one Superbowl appearance after making it to the conference finals a bunch.

Then the Eagles have one magical season and fall off the cliff afterwards.

As a fan, you prefer the second one, but the first scenario screams consistency and good management, while the second one seems to be an "all stars aligned" scenario.

On 9/27/2020 at 1:13 PM, shazzam said:

Or nothing at all 

86B11620-F870-4E72-A872-0DE198B68C50.jpeg