The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Penguins trade Matt Murray to Senators for Jonathan Gruden, 2020 2nd-round pick

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

MARKSTORM PRICE JUST WENT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did his price go up? A team with a ton of cap just traded for a goalie. One of the teams who could have offered him a huge contract is now gone. His price is going down.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Called this. I love it. Sens gonna be decent

Yeah. If Murray can stay healthy, this is phenomenal for Ottawa. Such a great young group that's been put together, there. Real chance of turning things around super quick.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

MARKSTORM PRICE JUST WENT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:huh:

Considering there's only like 2 more teams that have the salary and need for a starting goalie, with goalies still available via free agency, the price has most certainly not gone up.

• Cheers 2

Just now, peaches5 said:

How did his price go up? A team with a ton of cap just traded for a goalie. One of the teams who could have offered him a huge contract is now gone. His price is going down.

Ottawa was never in the running for Markstrom, but Murray could have been a fall back option for the teams losing out on Markstrom.  Would say his price goes up.  

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Picks are pricey this off-season. 

Definitely! At this point I’d rather not acquire extra picks if it’s that expensive. I’d rather get an NHL player in exchange for Jake or Troy if we are trading them. 

I wonder if the Sens made a pitch for Demko. I got to think Marky is gone. I cannot see a scenario where we go into the expansion draft leaving Demko exposed. Unless Demko is included in the OEL trade proposal and Arizona trades Keumper. 

Good deal for both teams IMO.  Ottawa will probably sign Murray to a bridge deal 2/3 years.  Won't have to commit long-term and Murray will bank on getting a few good season before hitting unrestricted free agency and signing a bigger contract.  If it doesn't work out for Ottawa, it's only a 2nd rounder in a draft they had a ton of picks.