The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo | D

GoldenAlien

On 10/22/2020 at 12:09 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

"To guard Mackinnon than a smart player who is slow."    I can't help but focus on this sentence when I read your post.   I think that you may be saying something really profound, but I just can't unlock the meaning of this sentence.  Could you expand a bit on what you're saying here?

My guess is that he’s saying that, when it comes to the modern speed game, you’re better off with the elite skater with questionable hockey IQ than the elite brain with really bad feet. At least when it comes to Dmen and defending against speedy players. I’d tend to agree. An elite skater with size and maybe some questions around how he thinks the game, can be trained up with basic fundamentals, and become a very effective defenceman. It’s a little different with forwards, especially on the offensive side of the puck, where I’d almost argue the opposite. For a scoring forward, I’m taking the elite hockey brain, even if he has questionable feet.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 3:55 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

My guess is that he’s saying that, when it comes to the modern speed game, you’re better off with the elite skater with questionable hockey IQ than the elite brain with really bad feet. At least when it comes to Dmen and defending against speedy players. I’d tend to agree. An elite skater with size and maybe some questions around how he thinks the game, can be trained up with basic fundamentals, and become a very effective defenceman. It’s a little different with forwards, especially on the offensive side of the puck, where I’d almost argue the opposite. For a scoring forward, I’m taking the elite hockey brain, even if he has questionable feet.

Jurmo is the inverse of Juolevi. 

On 10/26/2020 at 3:55 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

And you now have Kyle Wellwood 2.0

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, The Lock said:

I know at this point this would be a somewhat far-fetched statement, but I think it would be fun to see a Jurmo/Hughes pairing just to make it look like a line of sharks circling the opposing net. ;)

I agree.  I'm sure most of started thinking a few years ago about how dominant that Jurmo/Hughes pairing could someday be!!

Jurmo is getting his first games in a professional men's league on a team that is pretty much a greasefire. JYP wasn't great this season to begin with, now they have run out of money because of covid. Coaches and employees are on forced holidays, they barely manage to keep the team running. One should keep expectations low. At least Jurmo is getting some ice time now, which otherwise he might not have.

17 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I agree.  I'm sure most of started thinking a few years ago about how dominant that Jurmo/Hughes pairing could someday be!!

When they were both born everyone was talking about how they'd be the defensive shark core of the future.

On 10/11/2020 at 7:52 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Leave it to Benning to take a 1st round pick in the 3rd round.  This kid is gonna be a beauty...

I'm curious to see how this year's picks pan out more so than usual since this is the first draft without Judd. I know Benning trusts his scouts but this kid and a few others picked seem like Benning type picks.

We know Benning had Broberg rated very highly and this kid reminds me a lot of him.

Both have great tools, great skaters but the toolbox gets questioned. 

I think Dmen can get away with high-end tools but have trouble IQ wise more then a forward can.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/31/2020 at 9:12 PM, Alienhuggyflow said:

I'm curious to see how this year's picks pan out more so than usual since this is the first draft without Judd. I know Benning trusts his scouts but this kid and a few others picked seem like Benning type picks.

We know Benning had Broberg rated very highly and this kid reminds me a lot of him.

Both have great tools, great skaters but the toolbox gets questioned. 

I think Dmen can get away with high-end tools but have trouble IQ wise more then a forward can.

Yeah I wish they had more picks so we could really gauge the quality of the draft. I’m just as curious in seeing how the Wild’s draft turns out.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yeah I wish they had more picks so we could really gauge the quality of the draft. I’m just as curious in seeing how the Wild’s draft turns out.

Ya me to. The Wild had a top 5 pick fall to them but somehow certain people will say it's all Judd, meanwhile if any of our picks excel that will also be because of Judd somehow and finally if any of our picks fail of course that will be because of Benning.

This was such a weird draft for us, considering Jurmo, Perrson and the Russian "thief" seemed to have been drafted way lower than a lot of scouts pegged them at.

Perrson gonna turn some heads in December. Since he's going to Kamloops is he bound by their rules pertaining to the AHL or is exempt?

30 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Perrson gonna turn some heads in December. Since he's going to Kamloops is he bound by their rules pertaining to the AHL or is exempt?

I believe that he would be bound by the NHL/CHL Transfer Agreement. But if I understand the agreement correctly, that won't matter as he turns 20 next November and should then would be eligible to play in the AHL as early as next season.

5 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Ya me to. The Wild had a top 5 pick fall to them but somehow certain people will say it's all Judd, meanwhile if any of our picks excel that will also be because of Judd somehow and finally if any of our picks fail of course that will be because of Benning.

This was such a weird draft for us, considering Jurmo, Perrson and the Russian "thief" seemed to have been drafted way lower than a lot of scouts pegged them at.

Wild got a home run of a pick fall to them at 9th overall. They were a team hunting for a top Center prospect and a top 5 fell to them. Rossi I’m not really looking at him too much as just the rest of their picks and if they turn out.

• 2 weeks later...